default header

Hardware

XIM3

Moderator: JC Denton

XIM3

Unread postby JoshF » 05 Mar 2012 23:53

XIM3 is a mouse and keyboard adapter for the 360, and appears to be the best product of its kind based on my research.

Official Website: http://xim3.com/
Demonstration Videos: http://xim3.com/?page_id=185

Based on those insane demos I'd say this is essential hardware for 360 shooters. What really got me excited though was this video of Vanquish being played with the device. The player isn't doing much with the improved functionality but you can definitely see the potential.
JoshF

Unread postby Somali Pirate » 17 Mar 2012 06:03

For me this would ruin a lot of games rather than enhance them. Especially console exclusive shooters that were designed with a gamepad in mind. And in multiplayer games I would just feel like a cheater. Might be fun for a short while though.
Somali Pirate

Unread postby JoshF » 17 Apr 2012 14:27

If you plan on using it just to headshot crippled pad players in multiplayer, then yes that would probably be cheating. If you would use it like I would, to get the motivation to start playing otherwise great console-exclusive FPSs like Vanquish, I don't see how that would be cheating or ruining the experience. It's not like playing the PC version of Gears of War makes you a cheater.
JoshF

Unread postby icycalm » 18 Apr 2012 20:20

If you need mouse and keyboard support to get the motivation to play stuff like Vanquish, you have serious motor-neurone issues or whatever, or simply do not care for this type of game enough, which fact, if true, would render your views on them irrelevant. Controllers are far superior for FPSes in a number of ways, not the least of which is the trigger/force feedback thing. Nothing beats pulling the trigger in Halo and feeling the recoil of your gun, playing like this for 5 or 6 hours, and then feeling the numbness of your hand. As long as the game does not expect mouse and keyboard dexterity from you, there's precious little reason to prefer the mouse over the controller. And quite a few of the feats that can be performed with a mouse and keyboard in many FPSes could never have been performed in reality, and hence are even anti-immersive. I am not saying the controller is perfectly superior, but it is superior in many ways, and the blanket condemnation of it by the pseudo-hardcore is laughable. Moreover, Vanquish is a Japanese game by people whose entire resume is console stuff, so even if it was made EXCLUSIVELY FOR THE PC, chances are it would still have been designed with a controller in mind.

So, do whatever you want, but I had to speak up in favor of controllers to counteract your comments. Besides which, even if Vanquish could only be played BY A FUCKING DANCE MAT, it would still be funny to hear people say they needed to change the default control method to get the motivation to give it a try. You either love this shit or you don't. Operation Darkness has the worst camera in history, but it's still the best SRPG ever. The GameCube's controller was a weirdo, flimsy piece of shit, but the console still has a catalogue of brilliant videogames, and people are playing STGs with fucking keyboards for christsake.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Hardware