default header

Hardware

1 Percent Gaming

Moderator: JC Denton

1 Percent Gaming

Unread postby icycalm » 26 Nov 2012 20:32

I fucking love this site:

http://1pcent.com/

It's the answer to all those pleb 100 PERCENT GAMING sites ran by casuals who have to actually THINK on whether one or another mass produced console that's cheaper than my mouse pad is a "better console" than another. And at the same time it's far superior to all those big PC tech sites ran by people who are in it for the tech instead of the games. Sure they crunch out the numbers, and that's a necessary job that someone's got to do -- and I am certainly grateful to them for doing it -- but god am I fed up with their copy-pasted texts and flat commentary (and often flawed analysis...) that shows plainly that gaming is not their first priority -- not to mention how fucking fugly all their sites look. And jesus fucking christ am I fed up with how they handle the money issue. MONEY MONEY MONEY is all I can see every time they review or even mention any top-end product -- YES YOU FUCKING FUCKFACES WE KNOW THIS SHIT'S EXPENSIVE, EVERYONE WHO'S INTO THIS SHIT ALREADY KNOWS IT, NOW SHUT UP ABOUT IT ALREADY AND GET ON WITH THE GODDAMN ANALYSIS! And then they proceed to conclude that the latest graphics card is "overkill" for modern games and gaming rigs, even though fucking FOUR of them are not enough to power anything APPROACHING the REAL top-end gaming setup, and anything that COULD properly power it HAS NOT YET BEEN INVENTED.

So FUCK 100% gaming, 1 percent is where it's at.

So yeah, this site is run by someone who can apparently print money, so he treats the money issue in a dry, matter-of-fact manner, no exclamation marks or absurd exaggerations needed. He simply states the price and moves on, and if he uses too many smilies that's simply a reflection of how much into this shit he is and how much fun he's having. The downside is that he's just one man tinkering with all this shit in his free time, so his benchmarking is never up-to-date and comprehensive, but what he DOES do is:

1. Analyzed perfectly

2. Often so exotic as to not be available anywhere else

In short, he is, if not the Insomnia equivalent for PC hardware (or the Postback one, for that matter), at least the gamengai equivalent.*

Christ's sake the man's LAN MACHINE has two 690s in it!

http://1pcent.com/?p=219

quad_690_05.jpg

And this is the quad SLI 4GB 680 post that drew me to his site:

http://1pcent.com/?p=93

sk3tch_classified_680_4way_04v2.jpg

And here he is adding a 1500W power supply to it, extremely useful for overclocking all these monstrous cards -- indeed a downright necessity -- yet no one else seems to even be mentioning the quad 4GB 680 setup, let alone trying it out overclocked with exotic power supplies:

http://1pcent.com/?p=123

seasonic_evga.jpg

Of course you can find people like this in tech forums if you look carefully, but again for many of them gaming's not the number 1 priority, plus they just spread their knowledge around random posts in random threads, usually with no pics or benchmarks to back up their claims, so it's extremely rare to see someone going to all the trouble to document his tech efforts in a blog -- and a reasonably aesthetically pleasing one to boot. And I love his minimalism: no "About" page or links to other peeps (evidently because other sites like his do not exist) let alone Twitter feeds and other retardations: just one awesome post after another for 8 months now. Let's see how long he keeps it up then.

* I am not saying that this site is the Insomnia equivalent for PC hardware, because the Insomnia equivalent for PC hardware is Insomnia. If you haven't realized this already by reading my (admittedly few) hardware articles (which by the way are still being linked half a decade after being written -- like all my articles), you will when you see the new ones I have planned.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Hardware