default header

Hardware

Steam Machines

Moderator: JC Denton

Steam Machines

Unread postby icycalm » 11 Dec 2012 08:37

http://kotaku.com/5966860/gabe-newell-l ... n-consoles

Jason Schreier wrote:Steam's Big Picture mode was just the first step: according to Valve boss Gabe Newell, you'll be able to buy a living-room-friendly PC package next year.

Speaking to me during a brief interview on the red carpet at the VGAs last night, Newell said Valve's current goal was to figure out how to make PCs work better in the living room. He said the reaction to Steam's TV-friendly Big Picture interface has been "stronger than expected," and that their next step is to get Steam Linux out of beta and to get Big Picture on that operating system, which would give Valve more flexibility when developing their own hardware.

He also expects companies to start selling PC packages for living rooms next year—setups that could consist of computers designed to be hooked up to your TV and run Steam right out of the gate. And yes, Newell said, they'd compete with next-gen consoles from companies like Microsoft and Sony.

"I think in general that most customers and most developers are gonna find that [the PC is] a better environment for them," Newell told me. "Cause they won't have to split the world into thinking about 'why are my friends in the living room, why are my video sources in the living room different from everyone else?' So in a sense we hopefully are gonna unify those environments."

Newell said he's expecting a lot of different companies to release these types of packages—"We'll do it but we also think other people will as well," he told me—and that Valve's hardware might not be as open-source or as malleable as your average computer.

"Well certainly our hardware will be a very controlled environment," he said. "If you want more flexibility, you can always buy a more general purpose PC. For people who want a more turnkey solution, that's what some people are really gonna want for their living room.

"The nice thing about a PC is a lot of different people can try out different solutions, and customers can find the ones that work best for them."

I also asked Newell what sort of software they're working on these days. He wouldn't give specifics, but he did reiterate that they're working on their next-generation engine—which he said will work with next-generation consoles as well.

"Hopefully that's gonna give us some interesting opportunities on the game side," he said.

Though I won't be buying one -- I like to make my own PCs thankyouverymuch -- I'd like nothing more than to see the console business become obsolete. Nothing has been holding up progress for the last few years than those goddamn antiquated consoles. Imagine how many resources would be freed up if developers didn't have to port shit anymore. And it would be the end of being forced to play sub-720p games upscaled because MS and Sony don't want to come clean about the fact that most of their games are not HD as advertised. And we'd be able to play Japanese games like Vanquish and the like on 3-screen surround 3D modes finally, etc.

But of course I am only dreaming, and the industry will keep limping forward on a dozen or so competing formats at a time, as it has always done. Up to now this has generally been for the best, but I really think we are getting to the point where there's really no reason to have consoles anymore, and now that the Steam boxes will hopefully take care of the poor people demographic, perhaps we could begin slowly phasing them out.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby RCP » 07 Mar 2013 06:38

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21677119

Gabe Newell discusses Valve's Steam Box console plans with the BBC's Daniel Emery

Valve expects to offer prototypes of its upcoming video games console for testing within four months time.

The firm's chief executive Gabe Newell revealed the news to the BBC ahead of the British Academy of Film and Television Arts (Bafta) Games Awards.

Valve's online PC games store Steam has already proven highly popular and analysts suggest the console, called Steam Box, could have a big impact.

Mr Newell is being honoured with an Academy Fellowship at the event.

He was less forthcoming about whether his firm was actively working on new sequels to its hit science fiction franchises Half Life and Portal.

Portal 2 - a puzzle based game involving a prisoner trying to escape test chambers controlled by a homicidal computer - won best game and two other awards at last year's Baftas.

Steam Box
Valve's Steam platform - which promotes titles by other developers as well as its own - has over 50 million registered accounts with software for the Windows, Mac and Linux operating systems.

Its upcoming Steam Box hardware is designed to make it easy to access the service via living room televisions posing a challenge to Nintendo's Wii U, the upcoming Sony PlayStation 4 and Microsoft's next Xbox.

"We're working with partners trying to nail down how fast we can make it," Mr Newell told the BBC.

"We'll be giving out some prototypes to customers to gauge their reactions, I guess, in the next three to four months.

"There are noise issues and heat issues and being able to [deal with] that while still offering a powerful enough gaming experience is the challenge in building it."

He added that his company had still to finalise how the console's controller would work as it continued to explore the possibility of including sensors to measure the gamers' body states.

"If you think of a game like Left For Dead - which was trying to put you into a sort of horror movie - if you don't change the experience of what the player is actually feeling then it stops being a horror game," Mr Newell explained.

"So you need to actually be able to directly measure how aroused the player is - what their heart rate is, things like that - in order to offer them a new experience each time they play."

Undeclared price
Portal 2 has won several awards including three prizes at last year's Baftas
One industry analyst said Valve's effort to transform itself from a games creator to an online marketplace was impressive, but added that it was still too soon to know if the Steam Box would be a success.

"I don't have any doubt they will put forth an impressive machine and it's pretty clear that at launch they will have a significant games catalogue," said Lewis Ward from IDC.

"But the surrounding app ecosystem is unlikely to match other consoles which have Netflix, video conferencing tie-ins and other non-gaming aspects.

"And we still don't know the price - Valve will be unable to subsidise its console in the same way the other manufacturers do, so that remains a major unknown."

Link also contains a video of the interview.
RCP

Unread postby Joshua » 20 Sep 2013 21:58

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/

The Steam Universe is Expanding in 2014

Last year, we shipped a software feature called Big Picture, a user-interface tailored for televisions and gamepads. This year we’ve been working on even more ways to connect the dots for customers who want Steam in the living-room. Soon, we’ll be adding you to our design process, so that you can help us shape the future of Steam.

It's just a countdown for now.
Joshua

Unread postby Joshua » 25 Sep 2013 18:13

I guess this topic should be renamed to "Steam Machines" since there is no single Steam Box apart from the prototype Valve are making.

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamMachines/

A powerful new category of living-room hardware is on the horizon.
Join the hardware beta now.
Choose the model right for you in 2014.

Finally, a multiple choice answer
Entertainment is not a one-size-fits-all world. We want you to be able to choose the hardware that makes sense for you, so we are working with multiple partners to bring a variety of Steam gaming machines to market during 2014, all of them running SteamOS.

But first, Valve’s prototype
While these products are still in development, we need your help. As always, we believe the best way to ensure that the right products are getting made is to let people try them out and then make changes as we go. We have designed a high-performance prototype that’s optimized for gaming, for the living room, and for Steam. Of course, it’s also completely upgradable and open.

This year we’re shipping just 300 of these boxes to Steam users, free of charge, for testing. You can make yourself eligible to get one. How? Read on!

Questions!

When can I buy one?!
Beginning in 2014, there will be multiple SteamOS machines to choose from, made by different manufacturers.

I’m pretty happy with my PC Gaming setup, do I have to buy a new piece of hardware now?
No. Everything that we’ve been doing on Steam for the last 10 years will continue to move forward.

If you guys are delivering an OS to hardware manufacturers, why is Valve also making its own box?
We're conducting a beta of the overall Steam living-room experience, so we needed to build prototype hardware on which to run tests. At Valve we always rely on real-world testing as part of our design process. The specific machine we're testing is designed for users who want the most control possible over their hardware. Other boxes will optimize for size, price, quietness, or other factors.

How will you choose the 300 beta participants?
A small number of users (30 or less) will be chosen based on their past community contributions and beta participation. The remainder will be chosen at random from the eligible pool.

Should I create lots of Steam accounts to increase my chances of getting selected?
No, that won’t work.

What are the specs of the Valve prototype?
We'll tell you more about it soon. Remember, there will ultimately be several boxes to choose from, with an array of specifications, price, and performance.

Where’s a picture of it? How big is it?
We promise we'll tell you more about it soon.

When will the prototypes ship?
This year.

Will beta testers be allowed to share info about their experience and post pictures and opinions online?
Yes, that really is the whole point. The input from testers should come in many forms: bug reports, forum posts, concept art, 3D prints, haikus, and also very publicly stated opinions.

Will I be able to build my own box to run SteamOS?
Yes.

Can I hack this box? Run another OS? Change the hardware? Install my own software? Use it to build a robot?
Sure.

Can I download the OS to try it out?
You will be able to download it (including the source code, if you're into that) but not yet.

If I’m not in the beta, how can I help and contribute feedback?
The Steam Universe Group is where feedback is being collected. Most areas of the group will remain open for participation by all Steam users. Some may be limited to beta participants only, but there will be plenty of ways to contribute feedback for everyone.

What games will be available during the beta?
The nearly 3,000 games on Steam. Hundreds already running natively on the SteamOS, with more to come. The rest will work seamlessly via in-home streaming.

Am I going to be using a mouse and a keyboard in the living-room?
If you want. But Steam and SteamOS work well with gamepads, too. Stay tuned, though - we have some more to say very soon on the topic of input.
Joshua

Unread postby icycalm » 25 Sep 2013 18:32

They need to make their own PCs in order to test their software (which is anyway a Linux ripoff that already works just fine)? So THAT'S what Microsoft has been getting wrong all these years! Why not also make their own processors and graphics cards lol. I can see Intel and Nvidia shivering already.

The prototype beta is an (expensive) publicity stunt and nothing more.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Dolt » 27 Sep 2013 18:02

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroo ... ontroller/

controller.jpg

controller_schematic.png

controller_bindings.jpg

A different kind of gamepad

We set out with a singular goal: bring the Steam experience, in its entirety, into the living-room. We knew how to build the user interface, we knew how to build a machine, and even an operating system. But that still left input — our biggest missing link. We realized early on that our goals required a new kind of input technology — one that could bridge the gap from the desk to the living room without compromises. So we spent a year experimenting with new approaches to input and we now believe we’ve arrived at something worth sharing and testing with you.

Complete catalog

The Steam Controller is designed to work with all the games on Steam: past, present, and future. Even the older titles in the catalog and the ones which were not built with controller support. (We’ve fooled those older games into thinking they’re being played with a keyboard and mouse, but we’ve designed a gamepad that’s nothing like either one of those devices.) We think you’ll agree that we’re onto something with the Steam Controller, and now we want your help with the design process.

Superior performance

Traditional gamepads force us to accept compromises. We’ve made it a goal to improve upon the resolution and fidelity of input that’s possible with those devices. The Steam controller offers a new and, we believe, vastly superior control scheme, all while enabling you to play from the comfort of your sofa. Built with high-precision input technologies and focused on low-latency performance, the Steam controller is just what the living-room ordered.

Dual trackpads

The most prominent elements of the Steam controller are its two circular trackpads. Driven by the player’s thumbs, each one has a high-resolution trackpad as its base. It is also clickable, allowing the entire surface to act as a button. The trackpads allow far higher fidelity input than has previously been possible with traditional handheld controllers. Steam gamers, who are used to the input associated with PCs, will appreciate that the Steam Controller’s resolution approaches that of a desktop mouse.

Whole genres of games that were previously only playable with a keyboard and mouse are now accessible from the sofa. RTS games. Casual, cursor-driven games. Strategy games. 4x space exploration games. A huge variety of indie games. Simulation titles. And of course, Euro Truck Simulator 2.

In addition, games like first-person shooters that are designed around precise aiming within a large visual field now benefit from the trackpads’ high resolution and absolute position control.

Haptics

Trackpads, by their nature, are less physical than thumbsticks. By themselves, they are “light touch” devices and don’t offer the kind of visceral feedback that players get from pushing joysticks around. As we investigated trackpad-based input devices, it became clear through testing that we had to find ways to add more physicality to the experience. It also became clear that “rumble”, as it has been traditionally implemented (a lopsided weight spun around a single axis), was not going to be enough. Not even close.

The Steam Controller is built around a new generation of super-precise haptic feedback, employing dual linear resonant actuators. These small, strong, weighted electro-magnets are attached to each of the dual trackpads. They are capable of delivering a wide range of force and vibration, allowing precise control over frequency, amplitude, and direction of movement.

This haptic capability provides a vital channel of information to the player - delivering in-game information about speed, boundaries, thresholds, textures, action confirmations, or any other events about which game designers want players to be aware. It is a higher-bandwidth haptic information channel than exists in any other consumer product that we know of. As a parlour trick they can even play audio waveforms and function as speakers.

Touch Screen

In the center of the controller is another touch-enabled surface, this one backed by a high-resolution screen. This surface, too, is critical to achieving the controller’s primary goal - supporting all games in the Steam catalog. The screen allows an infinite number of discrete actions to be made available to the player, without requiring an infinite number of physical buttons.

The whole screen itself is also clickable, like a large single button. So actions are not invoked by a simple touch, they instead require a click. This allows a player to touch the screen, browse available actions, and only then commit to the one they want. Players can swipe through pages of actions in games where that’s appropriate. When programmed by game developers using our API, the touch screen can work as a scrolling menu, a radial dial, provide secondary info like a map or use other custom input modes we haven’t thought of yet.

In order to avoid forcing players to divide their attention between screens, a critical feature of the Steam Controller comes from its deep integration with Steam. When a player touches the controller screen, its display is overlayed on top of the game they’re playing, allowing the player to leave their attention squarely on the action, where it belongs.

Buttons

Every button and input zone has been placed based on frequency of use, precision required and ergonomic comfort. There are a total of sixteen buttons on the Steam Controller. Half of them are accessible to the player without requiring thumbs to be lifted from the trackpads, including two on the back. All controls and buttons have been placed symmetrically, making left or right handedness switchable via a software config checkbox.
Shared configurations

In order to support the full catalog of existing Steam games (none of which were built with the Steam Controller in mind), we have built in a legacy mode that allows the controller to present itself as a keyboard and mouse. The Steam Community can use the configuration tool to create and share bindings for their favorite games. Players can choose from a list of the most popular configurations.

Openness

The Steam Controller was designed from the ground up to be hackable. Just as the Steam Community and Workshop contributors currently deliver tremendous value via additions to software products on Steam, we believe that they will meaningfully contribute to the design of the Steam Controller. We plan to make tools available that will enable users to participate in all aspects of the experience, from industrial design to electrical engineering. We can’t wait to see what you come up with.

Dolt

Unread postby Joshua » 28 Sep 2013 04:33

So basically, if you love the controller but hate everything else, you can just use it with Steam for Windows. Or if you love the Steam Machines they come out with, but hate everything else, you can probably install Windows on a Steam Machine and use an Xbox controller with it, or do a dual-boot. Or if you want to try SteamOS but don't want to have anything to do with the new hardware, then you can defragment and shrink your Windows partition and put a small SteamOS system at the end of your hard drive to play around with -- or perhaps someone will make a LiveDVD/LiveUSB version of SteamOS so you don't even have to touch your Windows partition. That's my understanding of how this is going to work, based on what they wrote in their FAQs. A "soft" approach then, and perhaps it's wiser to do it that way so that people can figure out what combination works best.

Those ABXY buttons don't look like they're placed very well. Other than that it looks really interesting, and I'm glad they realize the importance of keeping the gamer's eyes on the screen.
Joshua

Unread postby icycalm » 28 Sep 2013 04:52

We knew how to build the user interface, we knew how to build a machine, and even an operating system.

WE KNEW HOW TO BUILD AN OPERATING SYSTEM LOL. JUST GRAB SOMETHING THAT'S IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN AND STAMP OUR CORPORATION'S NAME ON IT LOL.

They deserve to lose every cent they've got in the bank and end up begging for quarters in the street.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 28 Sep 2013 04:54

AND WE KNEW HOW TO BUILD A MACHINE LOL. JUST PICK OFF THIRD-RATE PARTS FROM WALMART AND PUT OUR STICKER ON THE BOX LOL.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 28 Sep 2013 04:56

AND WE KNEW HOW TO BUILD A USER INTERFACE LOL. JUST COPY WHATEVER MICROSOFT IS DOING WITH XBOX LIVE JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE LOL. ISN'T INNOVATION GREAT.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 28 Sep 2013 05:05

Microsoft built Windows from scratch and nurtured it for decades. They built the Xbox and its two successors from scratch, including industry-leading controllers, user interfaces and online services. They've developed or published hundreds of games, dozens of which are better than anything Valve has ever made or could ever hope to make. The distance between what these two companies have gives us is so great, so vast, so unbridgeable, that to treat Valve's repulsive anti-MS rhetoric and last-ditch desperation moves with anything less than utter contempt means, quite simply, that you are not a gamer, and have not the faintest clue of the history of the artform and computing in general.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby El Chaos » 09 Oct 2013 16:35

Spec Analysis: the Steam Machines prototypes
Digital Foundry breaks down the components - and potential - of Valve's living room PCs
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... c-analysis
El Chaos
Insomnia Staff

Return to Hardware