default header

Hardware

The Horror of Overscan

Moderator: JC Denton

The Horror of Overscan

Unread postby icycalm » 24 Dec 2013 21:26

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=739555

AuthenticM wrote:I just discovered the horror of overscan and my blood is boiling

For those who don't know what this is: you might be a victim of overscan from your television without even knowing it. Overscan is a feature some (all ?) televisions have that makes it so the image being displayed is zoomed-in just a little bit. Why does this feature exist ? Well, from what I've gathered, it's because, apparently, watching cable or over-the-air broadcast without overscan could result in weird broadcast signals being displayed on your television. By having overscan on your television, those weird signals are hidden outside the screen. How thoughtful of television manufacturers to have included such a feature, right ? Great, right ?

Well NOT WHEN YOU CAN'T TURN IT OFF IT'S NOT.

My 32" TV has overscan and there are no options whatsoever to turn it off. I've searched my TV model number and found that, indeed, overscan cannot be turned off on my television. My question is: why the FUCK would any self-respecting TV company ship and sell a television, to consumers, that has part of its image permanently hidden ?

Why would they do that ? What were they thinking ?! Other televisions have the option to turn off overscan in their settings, but not mine ?

Oh my GOD. I am so pissed right now. I've been playing games on my Sony HDTV for the past five-and-a-half years and I am just discovering that, for all of this time, parts of the image was not being transmitted to my eye ?

FUCK YOU, SONY.

edit: my TV model number is KDL-32L4000

edit2: here are some examples of what overscan does to your image:

05c9tzL.png

overscan_zpse3e2a969.png

jiZEGIq.jpg
jiZEGIq.jpg (34.68 KiB) Viewed 4692 times
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Hardware