Hardware

HP Reverb G2

Moderator: JC Denton

HP Reverb G2

Unread postby ChevRage » 19 Dec 2020 20:35

ChevRage

SteamVR troubleshooting

Unread postby ChevRage » 01 Jan 2021 09:32

So this finally came in, after around 2+ months of waiting, and I tried it out for a little while on a couple of games. One of which was just the generic new tech minigame collection showcasing some the stuff the new technology can do, it's called The Lab. And another game called SUPERHOT VR which makes good use of the motion-control gimmick.

I had some trouble running SUPERHOT VR for the headset for some reason, I think it boiled down to the tracking acting weird for it; there is a fix in this forum post: https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/f ... nt=2081364

TheSkyIsTheLimit99 wrote:Open the settings file at:
<path-to-steam>\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\resources\settings\default.vrsettings

Comment out these lines (add the // in front as here):
// "motionReprojectionMode": "none",
// "motionReprojectionIndicatorEnabled": false,

Another potential issue that popped up that might be worth knowing about is that SteamVR for some reason supersamples the resolution of the headset to double its actual pixels by default. Meaning that at 100% resolution, SteamVR is forcing your PC to render a resolution of 8640x4320 instead of the combined total of 4320x2160 that the Reverb G2 has. This might be worth changing if your PC is having trouble running games. That's easily done by pressing the button with the three lines on a controller (both have one on each hand) while running SteamVR to open the SteamVR menu, pointing at and opening the settings window represented by a little gear icon, navigating to the video tab, and from there lowering the supersampling percentage to 50% (or whatever might be more comfortable based on your specs).

My issue was definitely fixed by following the instructions from the quoted post above though, as I tried to change the resolution in-game and it didn't seem to do much.
ChevRage

Unread postby ChevRage » 01 Jan 2021 14:54

So it turns out none of that stuff I posted above was the issue at all.

I still had the problem again when streaming to the Insomnia channel where the game and the stream was super choppy, and after a little bit of testing where I switched back to my own channel, I figured it out.

It was the settings I had in OBS, but not the resolution or framerate. In Settings->Output->Encoder I had to select Hardware, and then that's what worked properly.

I hadn't realised that in my personal channel profile I had Hardware selected, but in the Insomnia channel I had Software. I never noticed there was a difference all this time because it worked fine regardless of which setting was active. But while playing in VR, the Software setting doesn't work well at all, and impacts the performance of the game to boot.
ChevRage

Return to Hardware