default header

Hardware

Ethernet

Moderator: JC Denton

Ethernet

Unread postby icycalm » 02 Jun 2021 20:31

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/i-find-i ... t.1608026/

Boss Mog wrote:I find it baffling that in 2021 "next gen" consoles and new motherboards still mostly ship with a 1Gb/s Ethernet port

I'd expect the standard to be 2.5Gb/s in 2021. I know not everybody has great internet but a lot of people do (Europe and East Asia mostly) and they can't even take advantage of it a lot of the time. My max internet download speed is 5Gb/s (though it's capped at 2.5Gb/s per connection) and speeds go up to 10Gb/s (with no per connection cap) where I live but all my ethernet ports on my devices are 1Gb/s max so I don't even experience the max ever.

For PC you can buy a PCI-E LAN cards but they're not cheap with 2.5Gb/s for about $30 and 10Gb/s for about $100. Even when looking at new motherboards, the vast majority still use 1Gb/s ports. Only some of the premium ones have a 2.5Gb/s port. I'm thinking of building a new PC with Zen 4 next year and I'm hoping I won't have to shell out $300+ for a motherboard that has 2.5Gb/S ethernet port. Also we're supposed to be keeping these new consoles we just got until 2027 and they're limited to 1Gb/s as well, this in an age where they're pushing for all digital and streaming.

Gigabit LAN became a standard in 1998 it's crazy that more than 20 years later most equipment still uses it despite the fact that our internet speeds go far beyond that now. Am I making too much of this or am I making sense GAF?

I had no idea you could get more than 1 Gbps at home. That's what I have, and I thought I was balling.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Hardware