default header

High Scores

[AC] Captain Silver

Moderator: JC Denton

[AC] Captain Silver

Unread postby Recap » 25 Jan 2009 17:05

1 credit play only, level 2 of 4 in the difficulty setting / 3 lives per credit (most likely, the factory settings).

Code: Select all
1. 181870 -- JAM -- loop 2, scene 3
2. 73580  -- RCP -- scene 3

Good old Captain Silver and its 1985 manners despite being a late 1987 game. Brutally difficult till you get used to its peculiar collision detection and the enemies' unfairness. The "scenes" are long since they're divided into several subscenes (I'm currently at the third subscene of scene 3). I'm playing for survival, but in any case enemy respawn is not really exploitable since time bonus is more rewarding and, quite interestingly, your points are used as trade coin in shops.

Anybody else? Like Karnov, it's much better than it seems at first.

(Hey, I have half a review here already!)
Or if they didn't want players to credit feed, since basic design choices all point to COIN OP.
Recap
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 26 Jan 2009 02:00

Or an entire one-minute wonder.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Recap » 26 Jan 2009 16:35

ImageImageImage
Or if they didn't want players to credit feed, since basic design choices all point to COIN OP.
Recap
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby Molloy » 29 Jun 2009 17:35

27820 -- JAM -- scene 2

I've played maybe 20 credits on this so far and it takes a lot of getting used to. I'm starting to get the hang of it now though. Once you collect 4 or 5 fairies and get fully powered up the first scene gets a lot easier.

I'm guessing there's no point in buying extra lives or power-ups in the shops because if you die and lose your power-ups you're dead meat anyway.

Edit: How do I get the bridge on the first level to drop? I got through it fine the first time but now I can't get it to work.
Molloy

Unread postby Molloy » 09 Jul 2009 18:40

57790 -- JAM -- scene 3

This game is fantastic. You can really tell it's been designed for score attacking.

I just got to the start of scene 3 so I need to practice that some more.

One thing I can't work out is what triggers the watch power-up. The second lot of pumpkins you kill on scene 1 drop it under certain circumstances. I can't work out if it's dependent on how good your time is up to that point, or what enemies you've killed. If you get the watch it freezes the clock and you can boost your score quite a lot.
Molloy

Unread postby Molloy » 23 Jul 2009 21:11

91100 -- JAM -- scene 3

The watch power-up is based on how fast you get there, not what you kill. You can sprint through the whole first stage almost without stopping and get 30,000+ points.
Molloy

Unread postby Molloy » 02 Aug 2009 14:08

97930 -- JAM -- scene 3

The last half of scene 3 is an absolute bastard. You've got to do it at top speed as well or you run out of time. I don't see myself getting to scene 4 anytime soon.

I'm still miffed about the level 1 watch power-up because it doesn't show up for me much anymore. I've given up worrying about it.
Molloy

Unread postby Molloy » 02 Aug 2009 17:01

181870 -- JAM -- loop 2, scene 3

Wahey! Played a stormer just now and beat the scene 3 boss. Then the game loops. It's not massively more difficult. I might just loop it again with some more practice.
Molloy

Unread postby icycalm » 02 Aug 2009 17:07

Congrats! I am planning to try the game out when I am done with the two MD shooters I am currently playing -- do you think it'd be playable with a keyboard? And here's Recap's review if you haven't come across it already:

http://postback.geedorah.com/revisiones ... ver_01.htm

Pass it through babelfish or something if you can't read Spanish.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Molloy » 02 Aug 2009 17:26

I wouldn't really advise playing this on a keyboard. I've only got a cheap pad from Game Stop but it does help a lot.

Babelfish sort of mangles that review but I think I get the gist of it. The visuals improve a lot in the second loop. The garish background colours change to softer evening hues.
Molloy

Return to High Scores