default header

[PC] [360] Supreme Commander

Moderator: JC Denton

[PC] [360] Supreme Commander

Unread postby icycalm » 14 Jul 2014 06:54

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supreme_Co ... d_Alliance

The original multiplayer client for Supreme Commander and Forged Alliance, gpg.net, is no longer supported. However a community made multiplayer client (Forged Alliance Forever, or FAF) has been running since 2011[15] and since its release many of the players on gpg.net have migrated across. The client features many upgrades to the official one, including a working replay vault, live replays, allowing watching of ongoing games, a mod vault and a map vault. Also, the community has continued to balance and patch the game. Several new modes are also available, including a four-way war between factions over a galaxy spread of planets, a co-operative campaign for the original Supreme Commander campaigns and the Forged Alliance campaign. As of April 2014 FAF continues to be developed.

That's the first thing we are going to do once I get my PC set up, after we finish DR3, recoil.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 14 Jul 2014 07:21

http://steamcommunity.com/app/9420/disc ... 081969057/

Wazanator wrote:Cooperative campaign. The solo mode of Supreme Commander and Forged Alliance (a total of 24 missions) are playable with up to four players in cooperation!

That's insane if true. However, so far I haven't been able to find the mod for the original campaign, only for the Forged Alliance one...

Then again there are several people in that thread who insist on it, so I am hoping that they are right. Can't wait to try it out. And we need two more people.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby infernovia » 24 Jul 2014 05:59

Signing up for the co-op campaign.
infernovia

Unread postby recoil » 24 Jul 2014 06:04

I'm up for co-op on this as well.
recoil

Unread postby ksevcov » 24 Jul 2014 07:18

I'm in.
ksevcov

Unread postby icycalm » 24 Jul 2014 18:17

Ok guys. We start as soon as infernovia and I are done with Total Annihilation multiplayer. You'll see us talking about it once we are done with the campaign, and you can jump in with that too if you want when that time comes.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 27 Oct 2014 22:39

Masa and I are downloading the original SupCom on Steam and we'll be playing in about an hour or two, when our downloads are complete. We won't be playing the campaign, just skirmishes against the AI, or in MP if we feel lucky. I just want to check the game out to gain some more perspective on PA. I am pretty sure I know what to expect, but it wouldn't hurt to make sure, and it will be a nice change from PA for a few hours. I've put so much time in that game by now that I feel I need a change.

Whoever wants to join us start downloading and come on Mumble when you are done.

I am particularly interested to see how co-op is handled: how many players are allowed and if it has a shared armies option.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 28 Oct 2014 00:29

It's now me, Masa and chevvy, and we'll be starting in about an hour or so because Masa and chevvy are still downloading. In the meantime I'll be firing up Wasteland 2 to have a look at it, so message them if you want to join us.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 12 Nov 2014 05:04

By the way, I forgot to post about what happened with this game.

Me, Masa and chevvy tried to run it, but we couldn't seem to connect to each other. It seems the online component is down for the base game, and I couldn't get Hamachi to work on my Win 8 laptop even though I followed the FAQ (which I had previously used on another Win 8 laptop with no problems).

So I tried playing a skirmish by myself. It was an incredible experience that lasted all of 5 minutes. The game feels archaic to me compared to PA. Everything from the interface, UI, and of course the square little maps. It's basically unplayable to me at this point, unless I take a good long break from PA and adjust my expectations, and try to approach it in the spirit of the time it was released. (Funny moment was when I saw the planet in the background and went: "NOW I see where Mavor got the idea for PA!" Try the game and you'll see what I mean. In hindsight it looks ludicrous; as if someone patched the planet in for lols after PA had come out. It's essentially a planet wallpaper, like with Cave's games. It's hilarious.)

So I don't see any reason to go ahead with our plan to play the campaign modded with four players. All that will do is make the campaign piss easy and destroy it. We'll have more fun putting that time into yet more PA, which was designed to accommodate such large teams.

So I will play the campaign on my own at some point in the distant future, and I advise everyone else who is interested in the genealogy of PA to do the same. Or find someone to replace me if you are still interested in playing the campaign in co-op.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Online