default header

Cult Twitch channel

Moderator: JC Denton

Cult Twitch channel

Unread postby icycalm » 20 Sep 2014 07:00

The Cult now also on Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/insomniacult/profile

I might try to stream our entire Divinity: Original Sin session tomorrow if my laptop and internet connection can handle it, otherwise I will launch the channel in a couple of weeks when I get back home, and hopefully manage to upgrade my internets.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 20 Sep 2014 17:09

So we are streaming D:OS right now, and will continue to do so for the next 4-5 hours at least. This is the channel link:

http://www.twitch.tv/insomniacult

We are not sure how it looks to others in terms of video quality or sound volume (including our voices -- there's two of us right now, me and Qpo, but later on there will be four when Masa and stevenberg join us), so please spend a couple of minutes watching and give us some feedback here so we can adjust our settings on the fly and improve the viewing experience.

(Also, Masa and steven can just take a look at the channel to see what we are doing, if they want, and how far we are from unlocking their characters.)
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Some guy » 20 Sep 2014 18:40

The video quality is great and I can hear you guys perfectly. I keep buffering every ten to twenty seconds which hasn't happened to me on Twitch before though.
Some guy

Unread postby Hanged Man » 20 Sep 2014 18:53

Some guy wrote:The video quality is great and I can hear you guys perfectly. I keep buffering every ten to twenty seconds which hasn't happened to me on Twitch before though.

Same here.
Hanged Man

Unread postby Turnus » 20 Sep 2014 18:55

Quality is excellent, but I'm not having any buffering issues. It's as smooth as can be.
Turnus

Unread postby icycalm » 20 Sep 2014 22:18

We will be streaming 6-player Killing Floor in about 40 minutes or so. Should be hot.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 21 Sep 2014 15:06

Will be streaming Left 4 Dead at 3:00PM UTC. If you want to give us feedback on stream quality the best place to do it is the channel's chat. We'll try 1080p, and if that doesn't work well we'll lower it to 720.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 29 Dec 2014 00:37

Qpo, recoil, stevenberg and I are streaming D:OS right now and for the next three hours or so.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 04 Jan 2015 03:16

We'll be streaming 4-player D:OS on Sunday January 4 at 7PM UTC, i.e. approximately 17 hours from now.

If the other team wants to stream too at some point, get Qpo to help you set it up on whichever player has the fastest internet connection (and who can also run the game on Ultra detail, ideally).
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby jeffrobot494 » 27 Jan 2015 03:04

Next time we stream we should enable "Video on Demand" saving, so people can watch the videos if they missed it live. It looks like it's just a checkbox in the settings: http://help.twitch.tv/customer/portal/a ... -on-demand

Then we should upload them to YouTube, because videos on Twitch are deleted after 14 days. Here's a guy showing how to do that, seems simple: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG4mSj8aZaY

By default you can't upload a video longer than 15 minutes to YouTube, but you can lift that limit for no charge in your YouTube account settings: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/71673?hl=en
jeffrobot494

Unread postby icycalm » 27 Jan 2015 03:11

You can see the stream now. I posted the link in the PA thread. But I won't bother posting it on YouTube. It's crap quality and Ash doesn't know how to play well, and the entire video is from his viewpoint. I don't want to flood our YT channel with a bunch of subpar/borderline unwatchable videos. If we make something worthy of being saved, we will save it. But we are quite a ways from accomplishing that, especially if you consider that I want the person making the video to be running the game on full detail. Casting would be nice too. In the meantime, whoever misses a stream can still watch it within 14 days. But beyond that, this stuff isn't worth saving.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 29 Jan 2015 04:21

Our daily PA sessions are so much fun (we typically have 5+ people in, on weekdays no less), that it's a shame we are not streaming them for people to see, so I am going to start streaming on an almost daily basis now (once I figure out how to do it lol, which should hopefully be before the end of this week). New sig related.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 29 Jan 2015 04:48

I became a Turbo subscriber for $8.99/month. According to jeff's link this means that past broadcasts are saved for 60 days as opposed to 14, allowing me more time to make highlights out of them, which are saved indefinitely (and/or can be exported to YouTube). There are also some other perks: extra colors and emoticon images in chat, etc., and no ads for me personally (it would be nice if there was some way to disable them for viewers too, but there doesn't seem to be any).

Going Turbo gets you:

•Ad-free experience across Twitch
•Custom emoticon set
•Expanded chat colors
•Exclusive Turbo badge
•Priority customer support
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 12 Feb 2015 17:48

Someone broadcasted something on the Insomnia channel earlier today or yesterday without my permission. I can't see what it is because the OS/browser in this computer are outdated. Can someone check it out (in the "past broadcasts" category) and let me know who it was and what it is so I can decide what to do about it?
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Some guy » 12 Feb 2015 17:56

It's a one minute forty three second broadcast of what looks like World Of Warcraft or Guild Wars II. Unfortunately the streamer never spoke and the video quality isn't high enough for me to be able to make out the usernames on the in game chatbox so I don't know who it was.
Some guy

Unread postby icycalm » 03 Apr 2017 00:20

From Discord:

I wrote:From now on, people can stream MP games even without a full team as long as there are at least 2 Cult members in the team
And we will distinguish the full team streams/videos with the tag (full team) at the end
See the last two videos saved on Twitch for the naming convention
I think it's a good decision because I realized there is a special type of fun you can only get by messing about with some randoms in the team
Full team is ultimately better, but it's not necessary 100% of the time
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 23 Apr 2017 13:54

From Discord:

I wrote:By the way, I figured out what to do if two people want to stream simultaneously. One of them streams on the Cult channel as normal, and the other streams on his own channel. And then, if the second person wants his video saved -- perhaps because it is part of a full run he is doing -- he gives me his Twitch password, and I go in and link the Cult's YouTube channel to it, and export the video by the export function to the Cult YT channel, and then give him his account back. It's a simple process that takes minutes. And I am doing it this way because the Cult's YT channel is connected to my personal Gmail account, and giving access to that to dozens of people is far riskier than dozens of people giving me access to their Twitch accounts, which are not connected to anything. (edited)

The simultaneous streaming thing will be an issue soon, believe it or not, because I almost decided to spend the whole day today playing COD4, while recoil is streaming Tomb Raider. Weekends especially will be an issue soon. But now we have the solution.

Too bad I hadn't figured this out while DJ was trying to save the last part of his RE7 run. Live and learn, I guess.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby recoil » 23 Apr 2017 18:03

With this new streaming guideline, you should consider enabling host mode again. That way anyone streaming to their own channel can keep the Insomnia channel going without any interruptions.
recoil

Unread postby icycalm » 23 Apr 2017 21:48

Yeah... but... when hosting someone the frontpage of the site won't show that the channel is streaming. And what happens if someone decides to stream direct to the channel while the channel is hosting some other channel's stream? I am not 100% sure that the channel will dump the hosted stream, but even if it does, I think the mere fact that the channel is streaming will dissuade people from "butting in", in a sense, which will mean reduced "native" streaming, which is bad.

So, for the time being, I'll stick with the current plan. The one thing that would make me change my mind is if Twitch made it so that hosted streams showed on the frontpage of the site, i.e. if they were treated like native streams.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 24 Apr 2017 00:34

It might still be worth doing the hosting thing, now that I've had a bit more time to think about it.

We need to test what happens when someone tries to "butt in" and stream direct to the channel while it's hosting someone else.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby recoil » 24 Apr 2017 01:17

https://help.twitch.tv/customer/portal/articles/2508329

Twitch wrote:Autohosting is enabled by default for Partners, and can be enabled by all broadcasters. The system will select a channel to host whenever your channel is offline or whenever your channel is not actively hosting another user. Auto Hosting will never interfere with your live channel or active host. It will only take effect once your channel is offline. Auto hosting will wait for three minutes of inactivity before hosting a channel, so choosing someone to host is still ideal when going offline. This delay is because we do not want broadcasters to be surprised by unintended hosting if they are broadcasting but are having technical difficulties. Auto hosting will also immediately un-host when your channel goes live.
recoil

Unread postby icycalm » 24 Apr 2017 01:37

I'll set it up.

I just hope people will realize that if they want to stream and the channel is hosting someone's personal stream, I WANT THEM to cut in and stream directly to the channel. All the videos will be saved anyway, so you are not harming the other person in any way. You are just helping the frontpage seem more alive, which is (part of) the whole point.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 24 Apr 2017 01:52

It's done. Everyone who has streamer status on Discord (currently ten people including me) should now have his personal stream automatically picked up by the channel as long as no one else is streaming directly to it.

Remember, everyone, that when you are streaming to your personal channel the video is saved in YOUR channel (as long as you have selected the auto-archive option in the settings, that is), and only for 14 days, so you need to let me know, by posting in this thread, if you want to arrange to save the video on Insomnia's YouTube channel.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Online