Divinity: Original Sin

[PC] [MAC] [PS4] [ONE] Divinity: Original Sin

Moderator: JC Denton

Unread postby jeffrobot494 » 05 Dec 2014 23:28

I can play Sunday. 1PM UTC is too early for me though. How about 3PM UTC?
jeffrobot494

Unread postby icycalm » 06 Dec 2014 00:09

Because it's excruciating watching you guys flail around for days trying to set up a couple hours to play, let me offer a suggestion. How about we divide ourselves into an American and a European team?

American
stevenberg
infernovia
jeffrobot494
Masahiro9891

European
icycalm
Qpo
Some guy
ksevcov

Of course that would mean that you'd have to start the game all over, but considering that this is at least a 60-hour game, it will still be quicker and more convenient for everyone like this in the long run.

Or we could stay as we are, if you prefer. I am just making a suggestion. It's no big deal to me either way.

And a note. Masa is out of the group because of a personal dispute. Nothing to do with the site or even with videogames -- the matter is personal, as I just said. He used to be in my D:OS team, but now he isn't, so if we stay with the current teams we are going to try and replace him (with recoil, perhaps?), or if we split into US and EU teams you can take him on your team, or, if he's not available, you could ask recoil or someone else. I am sure there's plenty of people wanting to play the game after the glowing review, etc. Tons of people in the group already have it in their libraries or on their wishlists.

I am just throwing out an idea here. Carry on as you were if it doesn't sound good to you.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Some guy » 06 Dec 2014 00:16

A European and an American team sounds like a good idea to me, it would definitely make things easier.
Some guy

Unread postby ksevcov » 06 Dec 2014 00:28

Yes, all-European team would make this much easier.
ksevcov

Unread postby jeffrobot494 » 06 Dec 2014 01:15

Sounds good to me. Thanks for the suggestion. stevenberg, Masa, are you guys down to play? This Sunday if possible?
jeffrobot494

Unread postby icycalm » 06 Dec 2014 01:27

Masa can't post, you'll have to message him on Steam to ask. Also, he can't use our Mumble server, so you'll have to ask Qpo to tell you how to get onto a free one for your sessions. Or you can PM recoil and save yourself the trouble. You might also need to PM stevenberg, or message him on Steam, because he doesn't drop by here very often.

As for the European team, my laptop is on the way, as I explained here: http://culture.vg/forum/topic?t=5136

I'll keep you guys posted on its status. If we are lucky, it'll be here for next weekend. If we are not, definitely the one after (or midweek between the two weekends, if everyone can make it).
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 06 Dec 2014 18:39

My laptop shipped and it's being delivered by UPS, so with any luck I may even have it midweek. Fingers crossed. I can't wait.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Steven Berg » 09 Dec 2014 02:36

Sorry, just now saw this. I'm fine with the new teams. I'm also free all day Saturday if that works for everybody else.
Steven Berg

Unread postby icycalm » 11 Dec 2014 04:14

If people continue being rude to each other, I'll have to start removing them from the Steam group. Not responding to each other is NOT okay. I don't want to cultivate this sort of atmosphere here. You are also welcome to remove yourselves from the group, if you find basic communication so unpleasant, and save me the effort of removing you.

I will not offer another warning, at least not to the people concerned here.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 11 Dec 2014 04:16

And to be 100% clear, I am talking mainly about jeff this time.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 11 Dec 2014 05:06

I removed infern from the group. His lack of response in this thread is merely the latest in a long line of assholishness that I am no longer willing to tolerate. But because I don't trust jeff to move his ass and get a game running, and since stevenberg was in my team long before the restructuring, we are going back to our old team of me, Qpo and stevenberg, and we are going to need a fourth player.

I am sorry Some guy and ksevcov, but it's not my fault that two of the players in your team are useless dolts who can't even reply to a forum thread. I didn't mean to destroy your team; I merely offered a solution to help everyone out. If you want to go back to your old team, you can do it, and ask Qpo how to get on a free Mumble server since infern is no longer welcome on mine.

Or you can look for new players to fill out your team. I remember THM wanted to play this game with a full team at some point.

I am going to email recoil now to see if he wants to join ours. Either way, we shouldn't have much of a problem getting two full teams of non-retards running.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ksevcov » 11 Dec 2014 06:15

jeff, infernovia, are you still in? Can everyone play on Saturday, 1PM UTC?

Here's everybody's local times: http://time.is/compare/1300_13_Dec_2014 ... ondon/Riga
ksevcov

Unread postby jeffrobot494 » 11 Dec 2014 06:31

Sorry guys. Yeah I can do Saturday at 1PM UTC.
jeffrobot494

Unread postby icycalm » 11 Dec 2014 06:58

Masa can no longer post in this forum. infernovia can no longer post in the Online forum (or at least he won't be able to once JC gets around to editing his permissions). I thought I made this clear above.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby CTF » 11 Dec 2014 09:56

If any team is still looking for an extra player I will be happy to join. I have been meaning to play this game for some time now and starting from next week I will have a lot of free time to do so.
CTF

Unread postby Hanged Man » 11 Dec 2014 11:19

Yeah, same here. Or if you guys won't need any extra players we can start working on a third group.
Last edited by Hanged Man on 11 Dec 2014 12:10, edited 1 time in total.
Hanged Man

Unread postby jeffrobot494 » 11 Dec 2014 11:24

Well, just to keep things simple, lets do me, ksevcov, CTF and THM. Since CTF can't start until next week, let's plan on next Saturday, December 18th.
jeffrobot494

Unread postby Hanged Man » 11 Dec 2014 12:00

You should talk with Rory and infernovia first, so those two won't get left behind.
Hanged Man

Unread postby jeffrobot494 » 11 Dec 2014 12:52

Shit, I forgot about Rory. Well I think we should play with people who can post in the forum and can use the Mumble. Since CTF posted before you I think it should be Some guy, ksevcov, CTF and myself.
jeffrobot494

Unread postby Qpo » 11 Dec 2014 13:37

Just want to confirm that I'm still in, and also say that I won't be up for playing late night midweek. Really looking forward to weekly sessions on the weekends though!
Qpo

Unread postby CTF » 11 Dec 2014 13:54

I'm fine with joining either team, whichever is more convenient for the rest of the group. Note that I do believe it's best to play this with people in similar time zones though so we'll be able to play during the week as opposed to only on weekends.
CTF

Unread postby Some guy » 11 Dec 2014 15:43

That team composition is fine by me but I won't be able to play on the 18th - I'll be unavailable from the 16th to the 21st of December. After then I'll be mostly free, I'll find out what my family's holiday plans are and tell you all when I can and can't play.
Some guy

Unread postby icycalm » 11 Dec 2014 15:59

jeffrobot494 wrote:Well I think we should play with people who can post in the forum and can use the Mumble.

I answer this here: http://culture.vg/forum/topic?p=25107#p25107

I am still waiting for recoil's reply, so let's not make any decisions until we hear if he's in or out. After he answers, we'll see if we can try splitting into EU and US teams again, but I want to stress that if we do this, the US team will have to get its shit together and ACTUALLY PLAY THE GAME, because I am not going to leave stevenberg in the cold after all the effort he has put in the past to get the game running with me and Qpo.

Also, I am weary of CTF joining either team. He enthusiastically tries every game I and Insomnia highly recommend (PA, PS2), but drops out within mere hours, all the while racking up untold hours in bottom-of-the-barrel games like CoD multiplayer and Final Fantasy. D:OS is a TOUGH, COMPLEX game, and if you are serious about finishing it you don't want casuals or quitters in your team. Does CTF even play this kind of game at all? He doesn't play RTSes either, and look at what happened when he tried to jump into the most cutting-edge such game...

I like the dude, and I hope he won't take what I am saying personally, but I like Rory and jeff and the other guys even more, and I would hate it if he ended up starting a game with them only to ditch them 5 or 10 hours in, forcing them to start again, etc.

The least CTF can do is start, say Planescape: Torment (which is a single-player game) on his own today or tomorrow, and see if he can get 20 hours in it within the next week or so. If not, he should forget about this genre as he should have forgotten about real-time strategy and massively-multiplayer PvP by now.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 11 Dec 2014 17:03

recoil is in, so this is how I see the teams:

Team A
icycalm
Qpo
stevenberg
recoil

Team B
Some guy
ksevcov
jeffrobot494
The Hanged Man

There aren't enough Americans to make a full US team, so there's no point trying that option. I could have gone with them, since my schedule is very flexible, but then I wouldn't be in the same team with Qpo, and I rather enjoy playing this game with him because we are on the same wavelength on how to play it, so I won't do it. Besides, both he and I are flexible, so our team won't have any problems playing. The other team is full EU except jeff, and I think he's fairly flexible too, so we should all be alright.

As for picking Sergey over CTF. I checked CTF's library and he doesn't have anything resembling this game in it. He has the Fallouts, but he hasn't touched them, while Sergey has dozens of hours in similar games, and even 10 hours in D:OS on his own, so he is by far the safer bet, even if CTF posted in the thread first. Trust me: you don't want someone who quits easily in your team when you are quickloading the same fight for the 20th time in the middle of an 80-hour campaign. You need to be able to trust the other player in that scenario, and CTF has shown no signs so far that he is someone we can trust. He's great for 20-minute Counter-Strike matches, but then again who isn't?

Note that I am not trying to discourage people from experimenting with new genres, but jumping into a Planetary Annihilation or PlanetSide session for an hour, and discovering that you don't like the genres and quitting, is not the same as this. This requires commitment, which requires trust. And you need to build up that trust first in less commitment-heavy games before we can trust you. By all means, experiment with us, but not in a game like D:OS (nevermind in a 200-hour 6-player playthrough of the Baldur's Gate saga, for example, which is what I want us to eventually work our way up to once we discover which players have the required passion for it).
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Some guy » 11 Dec 2014 17:18

ksevcov, jeff, THM: are you guys free to play this Saturday or Sunday?
Some guy

PreviousNext

Return to Online