[PS4] [PC] Nioh

Moderator: JC Denton

[PS4] [PC] Nioh

Unread postby El Chaos » 16 Sep 2015 01:15

El Chaos
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby earthboundtrev » 06 Dec 2015 13:02

http://gematsu.com/2015/12/nioh-coming-west-new-trailer

Sal Romano wrote:Nioh, the new IP from Koei Tecmo and Team Ninja first unveiled at Sony’s pre-Tokyo Game Show 2015 press conference and further detailed later, will come west for PlayStation 4, the publisher confirmed at the PlayStation Experience 2015 opening keynote.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH5UG7AMhOY
earthboundtrev

Unread postby shubn » 08 Dec 2015 00:17

01-1449499332-nioh-key-visual.jpg

02-1449499329-nioh-1.jpg

03-1449499329-nioh-2.jpg

04-1449499330-nioh-3.jpg

05-1449499330-nioh-4.jpg

06-1449499331-nioh-5.jpg

07-1449499330-nioh-6.jpg
shubn

Unread postby El Chaos » 06 Feb 2017 00:29

Face-off: Nioh on PS4 and PS4 Pro. 60fps, 30fps - or somewhere in-between. You decide: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... h-analysis
El Chaos
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 08 Feb 2017 03:46

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1341880

MasterMenace wrote:Nioh Co-Op is a DISASTER!
Nioh is out. Yay...

Lots of people are enjoying it. Sure... (I am don't get me wrong, but not to the extent I was hoping, keep reading...)

But what about the people who played the betas and co-op'ed seamlessly with their friends and decided to buy Nioh because they believed they could do a blind friend co-op playthrough of the entire game together in the final version just like they were able to in the betas (e.g. Last Chance Trial)?

Too bad because Team Ninja just duped you!

In case you were confused as to how co-op works, read the section below, if not skip and read what I have to say afterwards.

From a GameFaq's post I will quote will describe how co-op works:

"You have several options to play co-op in Nioh. Unfortunately co-op with friends is rather restriced. To say it right away: It is NOT possible to play through the whole game mission by mission with a friend as at least one player needs to have beaten a mission in order to be able to join.

Now for the details.

1) Basics

In order to play co-op and summon a companion into your game you need to offer an Ochoko cup. These can bet gotten from dead revenants (the red ghosts from dead players that you can summon/that are summoned via red graves)

You can offer these cups at the shrine menu under the "summon" section.

The game will then start looking for a companion and connect them to you as soon as it finds one.

2) Joining Co-op with randoms:

1. After you beat a mission it is unlocked for proper co-op. You can then
- Highlight the mission on the map, hit X and then it allows you to hit Square to 'Become a Visitor.' In this mode when the host dies you are sent back to your world and you can't be revived either by the host

2. You can use the 'Starting Point' menu. There is an option called 'Torii Gate.' You have two options here:
-Yokai Realm with a Companion: This modes lets you revive each other with a gauge going down if someone dies till you survive the dead player. Just hit Circle at their grave. When the gauge is emptied the mission fails for both players.
-Random encounter: This is similar to 1. You don't get to revive each other in this mode.

Both options let you either randomly search for a game or specify a mission. You can only choose and enter certain missions with these menu options IF YOU HAVE ALREADY BEATEN THEM.

3) Co-op with friends/people using a password:

This is where it gets a bit annoying. The game offers a password system to connect with friends or people using the same password. This seems similar to Dark Souls and Bloodborne... But only at first glance.

You have the same options as stated above but are restricted to only being able to search for and enter missions that you have already beaten. So if two friends haven't beaten Mission 2, yet they won't be able to co-op it together.

So in order to play co-op both players need to

1. Set the same password
2. Set the password to 'On' obviously
3. The player trying to help/trying to join the other players as a companion has to have the mission unlocked/beaten
4. You then have the same options described above.
-via map 'Become a Visitor' option without revives
-via Torri Gate 'Random Encounter' without revives
-via Torri Gate 'Yokai Realm Companion' with the ability to revive each other...."

Credit from GameFaqs User: MercwithMouth82

TL:DR:
Souls-like summoning: One friend needs to have the mission beaten which allows him to join as a visitor for randoms/friends.

Tori-Gate (Yokai with Companion) Co-Op: Both have to beat the mission

This applies to sub-missions and I'm also assuming the Twighlight missions. No clue if the restriction stays in place once the harder difficulty level is unlocked after the game is beaten.

Before the single-player elitists come and say "co-op makes the game too easy..."

I like to counter:

1. This was NOT how it was like in the recent Last Chance Trial (only one I played)
2. Tori-Gate Co-op (Yokai with Companion) uses a blue meter that simulates a "shared life" pool that only slightly replenishes when you visit the mission's shrines. You CANNOT interact with the shrines like in SP whatsoever aside from this particular mission. If both of you die in this mode, the mission is OVER. Shortcuts reset. You also start the mission over from the first shrine. So basically you got 1 shot to get through the mission once that blue life meter runs out. Shortcuts are nonexistent. Can't heal/level-up at shrines either. (if any of the details before this are wrong, please correct me, but this is what my friend and I personally experienced!)

So a blind friend co-op playthrough through the Tori Gate is actually CHALLENGING. What doesn't make any fucking sense is why Team Ninja changed it to where you both have to beat the mission?

If one person has to beat the mission to help the other friend, that destroys the sense of challenge for the other friend trying to co-op since the first friend already knows the level layout, enemy locations, secrets, shortcuts, etc.

I'm just baffled as to how a game that celebrates on innovating on the Soulsborne formula, decides to regress the co-op mechanic. I beat Dark Souls 1, 2, 3 by myself but I also co-oped DS2, 3, and BB with my friend which was even more fun because I think co-op experiences with friends are just more enjoyable for me. After playing the Last Chance Trial and co-oping so easily with my friend, we thought we could play the entire game blind co-op in the final release only to realize Team Ninja duped us and changed the system for no ********* REASON.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm very salty. It's only because this game was GOTY contender, but this co-op fiasco just soured my gameplay. It's truly a great game. I love everything! Except the regressed co-op system. Just bewildering!

I hope I'm not alone guys.

And before you say the devs are very receptive to feedback, apparently Koei Tecmo does this with all their games. They have very backwards co-op mechanics and it seems that lines up with what we got on release. They actually changed it for the worse. There was literally no backlash to the co-op implementation in the Last Chance Trial, but nope, Koei Tecmo gotta **** everything up. I highly doubt it'll change.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 23 Mar 2017 05:28

Renegade's review: http://scathingaccuracy.com/reviews/380-nioh

Final verdict: A
Final playtime: 222 hours

It's going on the frontpage unless people who have played the game convince me it shouldn't.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 23 Mar 2017 06:06

To be honest, Renegade himself doesn't convince me it's a 5/5 game. There's no infectious enthusiasm in his review about the game. His praise is muted and conditional, and even the things he praises barely count for me as being very important. The joy of the battles and the atmosphere of the stages ranks much higher for me than his praise of the "money system" or whatever, and these are the things he should be gushing about in such a game if it were worth 5/5, but he's barely mentioning them, and definitely not gushing about them. So I am thinking I'll use a 4/5 rating, since that's what corresponds better with the actual text.

Unless, again, people who have played the game make a better case for that rating than Renegade does. It may well be a 5/5 game, but in that case that needs better justification.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Sparkster » 24 Mar 2017 06:22

The game is Ninja Gaiden with Diablo 3 thrown in instead of the usual Demon's Souls. There's plenty of streamlined features, but the game really only sets up a grind treadmill instead of becoming a great action game. Clearing the game unlocks a repeating higher level version of every mission in the game for slightly better gear and more resources. But by that point you've had plenty of opportunity to exploit the ridiculous high-end skills as well as master the weapons, so it's a matter of how fast you can clear missions because you've seen everything already. And on that matter, stages are small for a PS4 game and there's little in the way to stop you from dashing through everything.

All of these late-game problems start to surface during your first playthrough and I didn't even have a chance to see the final boss because I instantly popped all the buffs I had, so he didn't have a chance to attack. The underlying combat is leagues beyond Bloodborne, so you can chain long, risky offensive combos against some enemies (the human characters get rage moves so you sometimes have to play hit-and-run). A side note that Renegade missed is that there is no practical way to manage your inventory because you get eight quick slots which won't even accommodate your skills, let alone any items besides the basic heal.

I'd put the game at a 5/5 if it wasn't geared at replaying missions and if there was more to the environment. It feels like aimlessly wandering through the country while chasing a man through PS2-style stages. It's addictive if you're big into the grind like Renegade admits he is, but it's lacking if you want a samurai adventure.
Sparkster

Unread postby icycalm » 24 Mar 2017 15:50

Your summary sounds exactly like my conlcusion from watching recoil's stream. It looked fun, and quite pretty in some ways, but not 5/5 material.

I'll rate it at 4/5 and blend your comments with his review. You won't be credited in the review because of the huge ratio of his contribution to yours, but everyone who reads this thread will know what's up.

The only thing I don't understand is this:

Sparkster wrote:A side note that Renegade missed is that there is no practical way to manage your inventory because you get eight quick slots which won't even accommodate your skills, let alone any items besides the basic heal.

You make it sound as if it is impossible to use items in the game, and I don't see how Renegade would have missed this. If the inventory "won't even accommodate your skills" it means that you can't carry items. And since I doubt that's how things are, can you please elaborate on what you are trying to say?
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Sparkster » 25 Mar 2017 06:11

It's a minor point, but since you only have eight quickslots you wont be able to equip many of the usable item drops unless you pause the game and sift through dozens of items you've collected. It's feasible to do this outside of combat, but because many of the items have a limited active time and because you're always picking up every items that drops you end up flooded with items you wont use or can't be bothered to dig out of the inventory. They increased the quick palette from four to eight from the demo, I hope that they at least patch in another cycle of four items.

Ignoring items, if you learn too many Ninjutus and Magic abilities you won't be able to equip them all to the quickslots because they function as consumable items, so good luck trying to pause the game and navigate to a spell during a fight. Instead you're encouraged to stack multiple levels of the same skills since they only use one slot and it increases the amount of casts you have, but given time you will easily pass the limit of eight and there is only one loadout so you have to edit what buffs or items you're equipping for each mission. It's one of the only interface issues I've had with the game, so maybe they'll patch it seeing as DLC is planned.
Sparkster

[PC] [PS4] Nioh: Complete Edition

Unread postby icycalm » 02 Oct 2017 14:13

Nioh coming to Steam on November 7, Nioh Complete for PS4 same day
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1441619

Grim Patron wrote:
#Nioh Coming to PC (Steam) as Nioh: Complete Edition on the 7th November2017!
#DefyDeath with all DLC included + enhanced graphical modes!

https://twitter.com/koeitecmoeurope/sta ... 8243959808

DLIlZ7LWkAIGViH.jpg large.jpg
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Games