default header

Uberust

Scheduling

Moderator: JC Denton

Scheduling

Unread postby icycalm » 31 May 2017 14:19

Review: http://culture.vg/reviews/in-depth/rust-2013-pc.html

From Discord:

I wrote:Got Rust for 9.5: https://www.g2a.com/rust-early-access-s ... lobal.html
Looking forward to trying it later this week and/or in the weekend if more people get it
Oh, Sergei already has it
Installing now
It's on Mac too and has cross-platform MP @jeffrobot494 @immersedreality
These are the only two Mac-only people that I know here
Oh, @Admiral.49 too
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 02 Jun 2017 15:53

So I am declaring this Saturday Rust Saturday. That is to say, the only MP game that will be played on Insomnia's Discord this particular Saturday will be Rust. If this sounds heavy-handed, I nevertheless feel it's necessary to stops us from becoming like those people and groups who spend all their time playing one or two games. If we ever become like that, I will disband the clan. So, though I am by no means forcing anyone to play anything they don't want to play, I will employ all the means available to me to gently nudge the group in the direction I want it to go. We've been mostly playing PlanetSide, Siege and PUBG since we started the standing MP timeslot, and these are all straight-up shoot-shoot games, so we really do need to play something different once in a while to diversify, as much as to avoid getting bored as to attract players who prefer other types of games. We've collectively put hundreds of hours into these three games, and we also play the latter two of them on a weekly basis, so I don't think it's a huge sacrifice to take a break from them for one Saturday to try something new and different. Rust is purported to be the proper game version of Minecraft, so it sounds exciting, and it only costs ten bucks on G2A, so even if it's not that great we will have got our values for our monies out of it after an evening with it, but I am hoping it will become our new PlanetSide, because I think it can accommodate any number of players.

So, if you feel like playing something else than Rust on Saturday, by all means play that. Don't hide from Discord like some people do. I know people have moods, and you may just not be in the mood for that type of game on Saturday. Or maybe you just can't afford a new game purchase right now, or you want to wait it out and see if the rest of us like the game enough to make it a regular thing. Whatever the reason, it's all cool. All I am saying is that around once a month or so I will be picking a new game for us to try, and on that day no other MP game will be allowed on the Insomnia server to encourage people to try out new stuff.

So if at least one more person shows with Rust on Saturday, we play that. If not, I'll play something single-player.

I hope this hasn't bummed anyone out, but like I said, you can play Siege and PUBG any day of the week with people (or alone on Saturday, for that matter, or if you have that much of an itch to play them you can make a new Discord server and invite people over -- it just takes a minute), but I think that in the long run you will recognize that this is a good policy that will lead us to trying out many new games and having many cool moments and keep our sessions exciting and fresh.

If you have suggestions or objections, post them here and we'll discuss them.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 09 Jun 2017 07:17

Here's our first five-player six-hour foray into Rust: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/149234877

I think we did pretty well, all things considered. We had no idea how anything worked, and we figured it all out without any outside help. I'd say we made it 50% through the game, before we got crushed. We figured out a way to meet up, established a base and respawn location, and even got hold of a shotgun at one point. If I had used it to properly guard us, instead of messing about in my inventory and failing to fight back when we got raided, we'd probably have gotten much further in the game that day. Next time I will start proper patrolling the moment I get some type of gun, instead of just sitting in the base waiting to be attacked.

I will consider the game beaten if we manage to reach the top of the building tree, kill a bunch of dudes and destroy the settlements in our immediate vicinity, and quit not because we got crushed but because we feel we've done everything we could do in the game and just got bored with it. I think five players are enough to achieve these goals, but a couple more would make things faster and easier.

It's basically a tutorial for Ark, the way I see the game now.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 11 Jun 2017 02:24

We played with five players today, three of whom were new to the game (Yurian, Saf and Kojiero), and one of whom was new to the clan (Kojiero). Right at the end Exiled joined us, but everyone was tired by then so we stopped before seeing what 6-player Rust is like (last week's game was also 5-player).

This is the two-storey metal house we built before someone left the door open and two dudes invaded it with rifles and slaughtered us:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =944212409

252490_screenshots_20170611103406_1.jpg

So right now ten people have this game in all.

screenshot-steamcommunity.com-2017-06-11-02-37-05.png

So next Saturday will be devoted to Rust again, and the one after that, and the one after, until we manage to get 7-8 people on at least, and get to the end of this game. I strongly urge more people to buy it by then, and join us.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 20 Jun 2017 11:58

I am thinking of declaring this weekend Rust weekend to see how far we can get into the game with max numbers -- i.e. no other MP game will be allowed: no Divinity, no Siege, etc. I will log on at 5PM UTC and start making a base, and play every waking hour throughout the weekend, and people can drop in and out to help whenever they can. Let me know if anyone has a problem with this.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 13 Aug 2017 15:59

Clan Wars is at 10PM next Saturday, so I say we play Uberust from 5PM to 9PM (or even from 3PM to 9PM if enough people can make it). Should be able to finish at least one game, if not two. I am going to put up a new subforum soon so we can discuss things. There have been many cool additions to the game since we last played that I'd love to check out.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 13 Aug 2017 16:01

And now that we have all those guests in the Discord, we might be able to get a few of them to join us for a round.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 13 Aug 2017 16:03

Hell, I bet I could get an entire clan to play against us. BSE, or BRN perhaps. All I have to do is convince the leaders.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Cult War Journal: July 1, 2021

Unread postby icycalm » 28 Jun 2021 21:05

Cult War Journal #6: New Rust Strategy
https://www.patreon.com/posts/53034885

icycalm wrote:So I finally solved the internet problems that have been plaguing me for weeks now; I am posting this from my home with a brand-new connection with a new company. So I am ready to play the fuck out of the next Rust forced wipe, this coming Thursday July 1.

Please post here to register for this wipe.

I'll be playing right at the wipe with a VIP sub for the Rustafied US Main server bought from here: https://forum.rustafied.com/store/categ ... s-servers/

Note that there are limited VIP slots, and sometimes you can't buy them on the day of the wipe. So I am buying now to be sure.

You don't need a sub if you'll be playing 5-6+ hours after the wipe. For that 5-6 first hours though, you probably need it.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Archonus » 28 Jun 2021 23:55

Sign me up! I'll be available wipe day.
Archonus

Unread postby ExiledOne » 29 Jun 2021 02:56

I want to play as well. I'm not sure if I'll be able to immediately at wipe but I should be able to play on Thursday for a couple hours for sure.
ExiledOne

Unread postby ChevRage » 29 Jun 2021 04:10

Just bought a sub myself, and I'll be playing day one.
ChevRage

Unread postby One Kick » 29 Jun 2021 06:33

I just bought the game. I'm real keen to finally play, and this wipe sounds like it's going to be sick!
One Kick

Unread postby icycalm » 29 Jun 2021 06:43

New blood! Welcome! I hope you'll enjoy the game, but if you don't, don't worry about it because it's a tough game to like and can feel exhausting. So if you're not feeling it, don't hesitate to just drop it. It's normal to start with a lot of people anyway, and a couple days later to be reduced to just a couple of guys lol. I do hope this new mission system I've planned will keep us going longer this time, but who knows.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Re: PC|MAC|ONE|PS4 Rust

Unread postby Some guy » 29 Jun 2021 12:00

So I won't be home in time for the start of the wipe, however I've explained to my girlfriend how to get in the queue for the Rustafied server so at about 6:30 PM UK time I should be in the queue and then at about 9 PM I'll actually be playing (unless she screws this up somehow lol).
Some guy

Unread postby icycalm » 29 Jun 2021 12:30

The Shadow could do this. If you had your own Shadow account, any one of us could log in as you and idle in the game, then disconnect when you can play and, as long as you connect relatively quickly, the Rust server wouldn’t know the difference as Shadow keeps the machine running in the same state for quite a while if your streaming client disconnects.

Hell you wouldn’t need any of us, you could connect with your phone.

Not worth it getting Shadow just for this, I am just saying as a thought experiment, it’d be pretty sweet.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Ciaróg » 29 Jun 2021 13:05

I won't be on at the moment of the wipe but I should be able to play a bit this weekend. I have built up a modest collection of Large wooden boxes since we last played which should be convenient for keeping things neat and tidy.

Ciaróg

Unread postby Some guy » 29 Jun 2021 13:34

Totally forgot a snag in the plan: On Thursday she is having a pupil dilation test and so won't be able to see well for the rest of the day. She is still up for trying and says she should be able to see well enough to log in to the server but playing for even a few minutes would cause too much eye strain. We'll see how this goes lol!

Also very cool idea with the Shadow, when I have more money I'll get a subscription.
Some guy

Unread postby icycalm » 29 Jun 2021 13:49

They are increasing the price now that a new company bought them and is trying to make them profitable. I'll probably be buying a new laptop at some point and retiring my subscription. It's still worth it for those who have no other means to play new games at good settings, but not long-term I would say. At least not as before.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Robomoo » 29 Jun 2021 15:32

I aim to be playing from the very start of the wipe.

Most servers will kick you out after about 5 minutes of inactivity so the remote login plan won't work unless you have a bot/woman moving your character around every few minutes until you get back.
Robomoo

Unread postby recoil » 29 Jun 2021 17:06

I'd like to join in, but I'll be pretty busy during the wipe and the weekend so I can only drop in for a few hours here and there. Sunday through Tuesday I'll have more time, I can try and hold the base down during the mid game.
recoil

Unread postby icycalm » 29 Jun 2021 18:53

I have a feeling we’ll last the entire week this wipe. All the stars are aligned: haven’t played in ages, first wipe of the month, tons of new features, lots of interested players, new strategies to try out. I certainly want to build something way beyond what we’ve done before, and I have set the whole week aside for it. So as long as everyone provides updates and pics, there’s no reason that latecomers can’t just jump in and be immediately at ease, and their fresh energy should motivate the early starters to keep going.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Next

Return to Uberust