default header

Cult Server

Moderator: JC Denton

Cult Server

Unread postby icycalm » 29 Jul 2017 16:51

Please send all contributions to https://www.nfoservers.com/donate.pl?fo ... culture.vg

I am starting a donation drive to buy us the most powerful dedicated server money can buy, for Rust, PA, and whatever other games that support community servers we choose to seriously play in the future. However, since the first such game we will play is PA, and since I am working on launching a new site for it in the next few days that will attract a lot of attention in the gaming community (PA's, that is), I will advertise this server as dedicated to PA, to start with, to maximize donations from the PA community. But for sure, once it has been fully financed and set up, we will be able to start using it for Rust too, whenever we are not playing PA, which is why I am making this thread in the Online forum instead of the Cosmic War one. (This won't be a deviation from my pledges, since I won't promise to run the server for PA 24/7 but only during the events we will be hosting, and whenever we as a clan are in the MP lobby playing).

So on the Cosmic War site there will be a page listing the target hardware and the amount needed to purchase it, as well as every person who has contributed, and the euro/dollar amount, in a "leaderboard" of sorts, from highest to lowest contribution. People will also be able to increase the size of their contribution at any time. And for whoever has a site or social account or Steam profile they would like to promote, I'll be happy to link it off their name.

So for the time being I have only two names on that list, me at 50 euros and recoil at 10. I would like to see if I can get a few more contributions before the site goes live, so that the PA community can see that we are making serious progress, and be compelled to help out. If the server ends up costing between 1000 and 2000 dollars/euros, as I think it will (I really need to spend a lot of time researching this stuff, because I know nothing about servers, so if you have some knowledge and can speed up the process for me, please post here), then if we gather even just 100 to 200 between us, we'll already be around 5 to 10% of the way there before we've even properly begun, and I plan to double or triple my contribution eventually.

Send all contributions via PayPal to sales@culture.vg, and then post here to let me know the amount, and also whether you have some site or social account or streaming account or whatever that you'd like me to link off the list. (For recoil I linked his Steam account until he instructs me otherwise.)

Contributions can be in any currency you like.

CURRENT CONTRIBUTION TOTAL: €240
TARGET AMOUNT: ???

€100 Yurian
€50 icycalm
€30 NighAligned
€30 Robomoo
€20 Some guy
€10 recoil
Last edited by icycalm on 07 Jan 2018 18:35, edited 4 times in total.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 31 Jul 2017 07:57

Is anyone willing to contribute towards a server for Rust and/or PA besides me and recoil?

It looks doubtful we will ever be able to play Uberust without spending some money, and I know for a fact that my PA events will eventually require either a community-funded server, or a player-funded hired server (at perhaps $1 per player per event participation). So whoever wants to play these games with us long term will have to contribute something, and this is the thread in which we discuss that.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Robomoo » 31 Jul 2017 09:43

I sent €30. I don't have anything to link.
Robomoo

Unread postby Some guy » 31 Jul 2017 11:01

I sent you €20, you can link my Steam account.
Some guy

Unread postby Yurian » 31 Jul 2017 13:11

I sent €100, you can link http://steamcommunity.com/id/yurian83.
Yurian

Unread postby NighAligned » 01 Aug 2017 00:22

I sent €30. You can link my Steam account also.
NighAligned

Unread postby icycalm » 05 Aug 2017 14:30

I had a long message exchange with mikeyh (PA dev) and he convinced me that buying a server is always a bad idea. It makes much more financial sense to rent one. I will copy-paste our exchange here later, but for the time being I want to see how much support there is for the idea of us contributing a monthly amount to rent our own dedicated server, meaning it's running only our game, and it's up 24/7.

Rust is not so much limited by performance (at least as long as we are playing only with few people), but by location (due to ping). Ideally the server would be located in the east coast of the US, which is convenient for financial reasons too because US servers cost less. For PA you need the most powerful server (compute-optimized) that is available on a per core basis. mikey explains it on his site somewhere. So right now, the public PA servers are the worst, then comes Amazon's $2/hour server we've been using, then comes mikey's server (20% faster), then a $150 a month server that I am told by Elite might be up to 50% faster than Uber's server, and then comes a server with the E3-1280v6 processor, that mikey says in his site (where he links benchmarks) is the fastest server available for the PA sim right now (though a faster one is around the corner, due out late 2017-early 2018, which is the reason mikey thinks it's a bad idea to buy a server).

So the question is how many of you are willing to contribute on a monthly basis, and precisely how much, so we can play these two games in optimal conditions to our heart's content. Note that I am not asking for a lifelong commitment -- you can re-evaluate your desire to contribute on a monthly basis, and drop out whenever you want. Right now, we have the funds to rent the server for one month, and try it out, and see how much we are getting out of it, and at the end of the month we can discuss the matter to see if we are going to keep it.

So, I would like to know who is okay with me using $150 of our server fund to rent a dedicated server for a month. Besides that, I want everyone to give me a ballpark of how much, if anything, they are willing to contribute towards our server on a monthly basis.

I can put up $30, though I am willing to raise it if, e.g., for some months we don't have enough to cover the cost, and we need a little more.

Also note that, as the popularity of our events rises, we should be getting more people to help pay for it, lowering our contributions, or raising the quality of the server, or both. We just need to invest some money to kickstart this process, and it should slowly snowball from there. All of us will gain in the end, and we'll be able to use our server for all the cool new games coming out that support it. Merely having the server will raise our prestige, and help attract more people.

P.S. Even $5/month helps. Over a period of months, it's a substantial amount. If you can afford to contribute ANYTHING at all, say so.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby recoil » 06 Aug 2017 06:03

I'll contribute $50/month.
recoil

Unread postby Robomoo » 06 Aug 2017 19:52

I'm fine with the plans above.

I'll probably contribute £20 a month.
Robomoo

Unread postby danjiro » 07 Aug 2017 04:27

I can contribute at least $20 a month. Possibly more in the near future.
danjiro

Unread postby danjiro » 08 Aug 2017 03:10

Sent $30 (About €25). You can just link my Steam profile.
danjiro

Unread postby Some guy » 08 Aug 2017 10:46

I can contribute €5 per month.
Some guy

Unread postby Kojiero » 21 Aug 2017 04:14

I can do €30 a month.
Kojiero

Unread postby icycalm » 09 Sep 2017 12:16

NFO tried to charge my account $160 and the payment failed. I think I have $20 to $30 in there. I emailed them and they told me the following:

Anthony,

>
> We are trying to get this solved asap.
>
> In the meantime, can you please tell me how this will affect availability
> of the server?

The payment will make a second attempt tomorrow. If that fails it will freeze the server and disable it. Then it is saved for 14 days to allow time for issues like payments to be corrected. After the 14 day mark it will be purged from the system and opened up to another customer. Now the 14 day mark can typically be worked on if there is an on going issue with ongoing communication. But it sounds like you are trying to get this resolved as close to immediately as possible.

If you have further questions or concerns please let us know.

Thanks,
Brendan

Can everyone please send me as much as you can to get this solved asap? Thankfully, it doesn't look like today's PA games will be affected at least.

If more than $160 ends up accruing in my account, I will use the extra for next month's payment, so just send whatever you can so I can pay them asap.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby recoil » 09 Sep 2017 14:58

I sent you my share.
recoil

Unread postby icycalm » 09 Sep 2017 15:50

Robo sent his too, and Nigh will be sending soon.

Everyone else, please send what you can asap so I can see if I can settle this today.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby bradinf » 09 Sep 2017 22:27

I sent $40. Won't be able to play with you all anytime soon, but I enjoy the casts and look forward to watching more. No need to link anything.
bradinf

Unread postby icycalm » 12 Sep 2017 15:49

I received 10,49 euros from earthboundtrev for next month's fee, so we are already on our way to making it.

Please report here after every payment you send, so that none will fall through the cracks and not be recorded.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Some guy » 25 Sep 2017 17:07

Sent €10 to cover August and September.
Some guy

Unread postby icycalm » 28 Sep 2017 08:11

I would like to move us over to the faster servers that NFO recently installed in New York that cost just $10 extra a month. More details here: http://culture.vg/forum/topic?p=29817#p29817

The only other cost we would incur is the setup fee of $40.

FireShot Screen Capture #106 - 'Game Server Rentals and Hosting __ Home __ NFOservers' - www_nfoservers_com_order-dedicated-server_php_location=nyc.png

Right now, I have $20 from Rory and earthboundtrev, plus $30 from me, plus $30 from pXs, who pitched in for our server for a month. So $80 in total. If we were just renewing our current server, I would only need another $80 by the 8th of October. If, however, we agree to move to the faster server in New York, I will need $80 + $10 for the more expensive rental + $40 for setup = $130. And I will need it sometime in the next few days, because setup takes 2-9 days, and we want to time things right so that on the 8th of October, when our current server's rent expires, the new one is ready to go.

So start sending me what you can as soon as you can, and if we manage to have $130 in the next few days, I will place the order. If not, I will simply renew our current server, and whatever money is left over I will set aside for November's rent.

Note to self: If we do get the new server, remember to ask for the particular version of Ubuntu that recoil needs to install PA.

Note to self 2: pXs's rent contribution expires on October 28.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby danjiro » 28 Sep 2017 14:57

Just sent 20 euros so we can get the best of the best. Every hertz counts lol.
danjiro

Unread postby Some guy » 28 Sep 2017 19:51

I sent you 10 euros.
Some guy

Next

Return to Online