Moderator: JC Denton

[PC] Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Unread postby Hanged Man » 18 May 2017 10:19

https://owlcatgames.com/

18558609_698003990386650_8687525229758376605_o.jpg

18451813_698009493719433_7003210932093141686_o.jpg

EXPLORE, CONQUER, RULE!

JOURNEY TO THE STOLEN LANDS
Welcome to the Stolen Lands, contested territory for centuries. Defend yourself against the threats of wilderness and rival kingdoms as you explore a world rich with history, magic, and conflict.

COMPANION FOCUSED STORY
Experience the adventure alongside living and breathing companions, each with deep stories and decisions of their own. Love them, adore them or hate them for who they are.

CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT
Customize your character and companions with a multitude of options available in Pathfinder to make the perfect party capable of overcoming insurmountable challenges.

KINGDOM
Establish your kingdom in Stolen Lands, claim new territories, and build towns and cities. Be a wise ruler or a heavy-handed tyrant.

ABOUT PATHFINDER

Pathfinder is one of the most popular pen-and-paper fantasy roleplaying games. It builds on more than 10 years of system development and had the largest open playtest in the history of tabletop gaming with the goal of creating an unparalleled fantasy roleplaying experience.

Pathfinder puts you in the role of a brave adventurer fighting to survive in a world beset by magic and evil!

Take on the role of a canny fighter hacking through enemies with an enchanted sword, a powerful sorceress blessed with magic by the hint of demon blood in her veins, a wise cleric of gods benevolent or malign, a witty rogue ready to defuse even the deadliest of traps or any of the countless other heroes. The only limit is your imagination!

The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game is an evolution of the 3.5 rules set of the world's oldest fantasy roleplaying game, designed using the feedback of tens of thousands of gamers just like you.

NARRATIVE DESIGN BY CHRIS AVELLONE

«I’m a Paizo fan, and a Pathfinder fan. I like the setting, the art style, the adventure paths, the card game, and the iconic characters. I’ve enjoyed playing Pathfinder with my friends (we used to be part of an Ocean’s-11 style game), and I’ve enjoyed the comics, the world, and the overall setting. I’m excited by the prospect of bringing Pathfinder to the computer RPG world, and hope gamers will enjoy playing in the Pathfinder universe.»

Chris worked on most of Black Isle’s internally developed projects, including Planescape: Torment, Fallout 2, and the Icewind Dale series. He then went on to work on Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II, Neverwinter Nights 2, and Fallout: New Vegas. His more recent work includes the Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition with Beamdog Studios, System Shock 1 Reboot with Nightdive Studios, and Arkane Studios’ Prey.

WHO WE ARE

Owlcat Games is formed by developers who still remember how it was to make your game run on 32 Mb RAM. Since that time, we gained quite a lot of experience on our way to the 20th level of “true game developer”.

Since we had been working on the Evil Islands RPG series, back in later 1990th, and we were frantically playing games like Baldur’s Gate, Planescape: Torment, Icewind Dale, it became our dream to make a story-driven single-player computer RPG. Thanks to the recent great games of this genre, we realized that there are a lot of people as passionate as we are about classic isometric RPGs we used to know and love.

We have the experience, motivation and above all the passion for making Pathfinder: Kingmaker a big new RPG game!
Hanged Man

Unread postby icycalm » 18 May 2017 10:33

I love that this is made based on a tabletop rule system. Any game that does that has my interest immediately, because the systems programmers make suck (yes, including Larian's).
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 28 Jun 2018 22:09

Steam page with trailers and screens: https://store.steampowered.com/app/6408 ... Kingmaker/

Looks very good, if only single-player.

But the combination of licensed tabletop rules and apparently strategy/city-building mechanics, plus pretty good art and graphics, sounds like dynamite.

August.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 28 Sep 2018 14:03

Welp, doesn't look like I'll be touching this anytime soon despite having access to it via Steam Family Sharing with Hanged Man.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/Nebior/re ... ed/640820/

nebior wrote:The enemy balance in this game is terrible. It feels like playing with a DM that has a goal to make their players feel powerless and die in every encounter. This isn’t a get good or try harder situation.

There are 6 premade difficulty settings and anything above “Normal” basically adds flat AC, chance to hit, and damage to all enemies. This makes almost every encounter end with 1-2 downed characters on “Normal” which is the level 3 difficulty. Many people have even complained of not making it out of the tutorial on “Challenging” which is the level 4 difficulty.
The game allows you to tweak how much damage enemies can deal to you. You can, and are expected to, do this in between every fight. “Normal” has enemy damage set to 80% with Weak crits. “Challenging” bumps this up to 100% (full damage from enemies) and Normal crits. Playing on “Challenging” I ended up reloading fights 5-10 times until I got dice rolls lucky enough to hit regular bandits that had 32AC for no real reason. You will spend your whole game changing enemy damage up or down until you feel you earned your win, but not with too many deaths. This is a D&D game where you must pick the difficulty of your own encounters and if you pick wrong you will retry over and over…

Besides enemy damage, another issue is the type of enemies you face. You are forced to finish every encounter (no way to run). I fought ghosts, werewolves, and swarms all early game before I had AoE, silver weapons, or any magic in my team since I started as a rogue. Some of these were unavoidable travel encounters.

Everything else about this game felt great. The story and characters were fine, and I liked the combat style. The character creation was spot on D&D. The UI was nice to look at and functioned well.

If the developers balance the enemies in this game, I think I would come back to play the entire game. As is, don’t bother buying this because at least 20% of my play time was character creation and changing damage sliders. Without enemy balance the combat felt terrible and combat is a major part of this game.

Devs, PLEASE balance this game. I want it to be great.

Lots of other "reviews" like this bring the Steam average down to "Mixed". I will wait until I hear that balance has been fixed.

I do wonder if one of the easier difficulties is balanced well though, but I value my time too much—and not spoiling the game—to personally research it.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 29 Sep 2018 16:17

They are working on stuff: https://steamcommunity.com/games/Pathfi ... 8218810867

Owlcat wrote:Thank you very much for your ongoing feedback. It encourages us to work fiercely on polishing the game. We are desperately sorry that we can't fix everything at once. But let us assure you that every comment will be addressed.

I'll still wait a few months anyway.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 02 Oct 2018 17:40

Lots new fixes: https://steamcommunity.com/games/Pathfi ... 8248985616

Also,

Owlcat wrote:We are following closely all the discussions considering game difficulty and some other system mechanics. We will keep informing you about our ideas behind the game structure (a couple of updates are about to be posted in the nearest days). And for sure we will keep watching the specific cases that could be breaking game experience and will closely examine them.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 10 Oct 2018 22:03

Just released.

Official Music Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udct3IKC7bs

Really stand-out music. It just feels... so alive. Especially in-game, i.e. not while showing the dude playing. Without the game, it's decent listenable music, but in the game it's something else entirely.
icycalm
Hyperborean

★★★★★ Pathfinder: Kingmaker (2018, PC)

Unread postby Insomnia » 16 Dec 2018 23:02

Review (5/5): https://culture.vg/forum/topic?t=6730

Insomnia wrote:As close as we've ever gotten to a proper Baldur's Gate 3.
Insomnia

Pathfinder rules, Enhanced Edition & new DLC

Unread postby icycalm » 07 Jun 2019 10:01

Based Russian devs not only brought pen and paper rules back to CRPGs, they even picked the most hardcore system.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/pathfind ... -254450509

Lanrutcon wrote:So there are many editions of D&D. Eventually it got to an edition called 3.5, which was terribly complicated, so for the 4th edition they dumbed it down a lot for the mainstream. Some people were unhappy with that, and made Pathfinder. Pathfinder is 3.5 which extra bits and absolutely no shame when it comes to complexity. D&D is currently in its 5th edition, which isn't as vapid as 4th edition but definitely isn't as crushing as Pathfinder.

Pathfinder: Kingmaker will teach you most if not all of the rules in Pathfinder. It will teach you nothing about D&D 5th edition, as they are separate things.

There is no way to play Pathfinder: Kingmaker without getting a hang of the rules, but you'll learn them as you go along.

More good news is that Enhanced Edition and Beneath The Stolen Lands DLC are now available: https://www.gog.com/news/release_pathfi ... _lands_dlc

GOG wrote:Enhanced Edition is available as a free update for all owners of Pathfinder Kingmaker. The update introduces plenty of significant changes, fixes and quality-of-life improvements, such as muсh requested respecialization option, new locations, weapons and enemies, further balance improvements, and a new class - Slayer.

Beneath The Stolen Lands gives the player an opportunity to enter a massive, procedurally generated, rogue-like dungeon. You can face this new challenge with the party made from scratch or visit a preset version of the dungeon during the main campaign.

Beneath The Stolen Lands Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nPvcPFv8vs
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Beakman » 18 Aug 2020 14:14

The turn-based combat update is online! I got the update on GOG earlier today and the patch notes are already posted on Steam:

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/ ... 8994409317

For the sake of providing some background about this update, Owlcat hired the guy that developed the excellent, but slightly janky turn-based mod for Kingmaker in order to natively integrate it into the upcoming Wrath of the Righteous sequel. Then they decided to port the first game to consoles while improving upon the already polished Enhanced Edition of the game, with the addition of turn-based combat to Kingmaker as one of these improvements. The console versions got the "Definitive Edition" moniker, and while it seems that the PC version is keeping the previous subtitle, the improvements for the DE are included in the patch mentioned above.

As opposed to the turn-based update that was added to Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire that forces you to choose a combat system for an entire playthrough, you can switch back and forth between RTwP and turn-based combat in Kingmaker, which was also possible with the mod. I never tried RTwP when I was playing with the mod, but the option is there for those who want to get rid of trash mobs quickly.
Beakman

Return to Games