default header

Hardware

8K displays

Moderator: JC Denton

8K displays

Unread postby Cray » 21 Jul 2019 18:28

GAMING on The First 8K TV!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwBBQhKKm4g

65 freakin' inches. And it has a breakout box! Currently it supports only HDMI 2.0, but eventually they will send buyers an upgraded box that supports 2.1. That's the advantage of a breakout box.

It took them some effort to get Windows to display at 8K, but you should see the desktop, it's insane. And then they run Cities: Skylines at a super zoomed-out angle, and you can still see the people running around. It sounds ideal for strategy, tactical and city-building games. They also run Forza, but you can't tell the difference through the YouTube video. They manage 30fps though, which is impressive. I'd like to know what hardware they are running.

Linus Tech Tips wrote:Thanks to SamsungUS for sponsoring today’s video! Check out their #QLED8K TVs at https://smsng.us/LinusQLED8K

The Samsung Q900R QLED 8K TV offers a top class in visuals, clarity, and just overall an amazing experience, but what does it take to really get 8K working when the tech isn't quite there yet to output it.
Cray
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby Cray » 14 Aug 2019 10:49

Sharp sent Linus a 70-inch 8K TV that can do 60Hz via four HDMI cables to try running some games on it. After a hell of a lot of hassle to get it working, he runs Anno 1800, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, and Rocket League, with about 20fps on average on a 2080 Ti equivalent (if I understood it correctly). It looks amazing, but it's not really playable for Shadow. The rest seems mildly playable. I wonder how much better you can do with a 2080 Ti SLI setup.

They SAID this would be EASY... - Gaming at 8K 60fps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcUv-TzVWUc

Cray
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 26 Aug 2020 17:42

Now that Nvidia's 3000-series cards are about to drop, 8K gaming is fast becoming a viable possibility. I am not talking about Cyberpunk—where it will probably still be unrealistic, and not too beneficial anyway—I am talking about strategy and tactics titles, where it will be very feasible and extremely beneficial. Scroll up the thread and see Linus playing Cities: Skylines and Anno 1800 at 8K on 65 and 70 inches respectively. They're the highlights of his videos, and though last year all this was both insanely expensive to acquire and very complicated to set up, this year it should be getting far more accessible.

As for the latest prices, here's what a quick search on Amazon Germany gave me: https://www.amazon.de/Samsung-Q950R-Fer ... 07Q75KPG7/

€4,900 for 75 inches of Samsung 8K goodness. Still a lot, but not entirely out of the realm of possibility.

As for the technical difficulties in setup that Linus struggled with, here's the issue: https://www.pcmag.com/news/what-can-you-watch-in-8k

Will Greenwald wrote:Even if your PC can play games at 8K, you're going to have an issue hooking your PC up to any display that can handle 8K. No graphics cards currently support HDMI 2.1, which is required for 8K, so you can't just use a single cable to connect your PC to an 8K TV. Instead you need to use DisplayPort, and the DisplayPort 1.4 in current graphics cards is limited in the kind of 8K it can transmit (both in frame rate and bit depth). Like HDMI 2.1 devices, DisplayPort 2.0 cards with 8K support should start to come out next year.

Nvidia's 3000-series cards will definitely solve this problem, so you shouldn't have to go through Linus's struggles to get 8K working, if you do end up dropping five grand on a TV. That said, it IS possible to get older cards working, so if you have something like a 2080, you should still be fine if you put in the technical effort required.

I think PA at 8K on 70 inches right in front of your face will be like being there. I have talked somewhere about how incredible the game looks in first-person, and I will talk about it in depth in further installments on my VGART essay of the game: it looks like the craziest sci-fi movie you've ever seen, and a world away from tiny icons floating above a tiny sphere that is the normal game on normal displays. With a massive 8K screen you should be able to zoom in below icon level, so that you're seeing the actual units as opposed to just their icons, while still retaining enough of the battlefield in view to properly run strategy and tactics. It should be unreal, and that's why I will be keeping tabs on the world of 8K gaming and reporting every development, until things are cheap enough for me to jump in. I hope to be able to do so in early 2021, but we'll see.

If anyone reading this is loaded, I advise you to jump in asap, and then let us know about it. Trust me, you won't regret it! There's basically no info on 8K gaming on the internet, and that's a great sadness. We need pics and reports from the front lines, and we need them asap! Think also of the productivity gains from all those pixels! Just think of it and jump in!
icycalm
Hyperborean

Re: 8K displays

Unread postby icycalm » 24 Jul 2021 15:50

I have some news on this!

Last time I reported on it, you could get 75 inches for €4,900. Now you can get 65 inches for €2,188. Granted it's ten fewer inches, but it's less than half price! That's huge progress in my book. Doubtless in countries with less taxes like the states you can get even better deals.

Samsung QLED 8K Q800T 65 Zoll (GQ65Q800TGTXZG) 4-side Boundless, Object Tracking Sound+, Quantum Prozessor 8K [Energieklasse G]
https://www.amazon.de/Samsung-GQ65Q800T ... 085KYP26V/

The fucking thing even has FreeSync!

https://www.samsung.com/es/tvs/qled-tv/ ... 800tatxxc/

Though the small print says "Not available on the 49" and 50" models".

Which means there ARE 49- and 50-inch models, which should be way cheaper! But I wouldn't buy such small sizes for 8K. It would defeat the entire purpose. I'd say about 65 is the least you should aim for when going for 8K, if you want to use it for strategy and tactics like I do.

Progress has been made also in terms of the connector and bandwidth standards. Apparently RTX 3000-series cards support HDMI 2.1, and there are now a few such monitors on the market. Also, confusing progress is being made on DisplayPort 2.

DisplayPort 2.0 monitors in late 2021
https://videocardz.com/newz/displayport ... er-in-2021

The first DisplayPort 2.0 monitors and GPUs to hit the market in late 2021
https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-first ... 161.0.html

It's not clear to me after skimming the above whether I would be able to get 8K60 out of say an RTX 3090 or 3080 (let alone laptop versions) on the above-linked TV. But my thinking is, if Linus could do it on a 2080 Ti, I should be able to do it on newer stuff.

I am not going too deep into research because I can't afford any of this right now. The moment I can afford it, I am diving deep, and once I have a setup I am resurrecting the PA events. Can you imagine PA at 7,680x4,320? Or TaleSpire for that matter? Your entire RTS/RTT/city-building library will need to be replayed on such a setup!

I can hardly control my excitement at the thought.

I think people who are loaded should be buying this stuff right now. Those who aren't should wait for one more generation. That way they'll get something more evolved that should last them several years.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 24 Jul 2021 15:57

Another option is triple-4K screens. A 3090 or 3080 can drive them, and they would be 25% faster than one 8K screen. Price of the three 4Ks should be about the same as the one 8K, and they would be more immersive for first-person games. Problem is you won't be able to run the cutting-edgiest stuff like Cyberpunk with full detail, but you'd be able to run anything less cutting-edge than that.

Triple-4Ks would have 75% the resolution of one 8K, so they would also be great for PA and generally RTS/RTT/city-building. Problem is, I already have a 4K TV, so it's not just a matter of buying two more, because I can't find the exact same model now. I'd need to buy three new ones... They ARE getting cheaper every month now.

The ultimate would be both an 8K and triple-4Ks. All we really need is another crypto boom to afford them...

P.S. Haven't seen any 8K projectors yet, but 4K prices have dropped within the realm of possibility.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 25 Jul 2021 12:47

The plot thickens!

8K TVs on sale on one of Spain's largest chain stores, sorted in ascending price order: https://www.elcorteingles.es/electronic ... g=priceAsc

The cheapest is a 55-inch model for only €976! That's mass-market price! Granted it's small, and it's discounted 45%, but take a look at other offers. The same model at 65 inches is only €1,486, and at 75 it's €2,464. These are 2020 models, but the 2021 75-inch update is only a bit more at €2,889.

Bottom line is 8K TVs can be had starting at about $1,000 now, so they are no longer out of the realm of possibility for even middle-class gamers. Adjust your buying plans and rig setups accordingly! THIS is the generation where 8K gaming becomes possible. Not with consoles, to be sure (since they don't even have the tactics and strategy titles that benefit the most from, and are currently playable at, 8K), but with high-end PCs, certainly (and that includes high-end laptops).

Next-gen even cutting-edge action titles will be playable at 8K. And I mean next PC gen that's coming in a year or two, not next console gen that's coming who knows when.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Hardware