default header

Games

[PC] Life is Feudal

Moderator: JC Denton

[PC] Life is Feudal

Unread postby icycalm » 01 Dec 2017 07:13

I doubt anything can take Rust's crown anytime soon, but this at least has promise.

Life is Feudal: MMO
http://store.steampowered.com/app/70003 ... eudal_MMO/

Steam wrote:Hardcore and realistic, Life is Feudal: MMO showcases medieval life on a grand scale. Players will use survival skills, immersive RPG features, a thriving economy, community building, diplomacy and warfare to survive and flourish in the unforgiving world of Abella.

January 2018.

The OBT has already started and people can jump in anytime: https://play.lifeisfeudal.com/

screen-1-bg.6315bc42.jpg

I am considering it.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 01 Dec 2017 07:16

By the way, use this thread to talk about the previous, non-MMO, versions of the game as well. As I understand it, they are restricted versions of the full game released to gather the funds necessary to finish it.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 11 Sep 2018 14:16

Videogame Art: Life is Feudal: MMO (2017) - Part I
https://www.patreon.com/posts/21344379

icycalm wrote:I have news for you, buddy: if you aren't "ruining" your life over it, to some extent or another, you are not playing a great game...
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 11 Sep 2018 23:01

From the Steam page:

Bitbox wrote:The full version of Life is Feudal: MMO will be feature complete. We plan to implement ships and basic naval warfare, advanced AI and hostile NPC encounters. We are continuing to add, finish and polish the siege mechanics, along with all of the many others already included within the game. We are adding more siege equipment, siege engines and a number of other secondary features that the community will choose by voting for their favorites. Along with these new features, players can expect a more polished and smooth gameplay experience in the full version of the game.

Ships and naval warfare sound fantastic. I'd been thinking about that while experiencing the currently basic water mechanics and how much richer they'd make the game. You'd have much more of a reason to build on the coast, and you'd gain tremendous freedom of travel, and speed of travel, by building ships. Rust took years to introduce even a tiny little rowboat, and you don't even craft it there, so the ability to build an entire navy would almost double the complexity of the game. Hostile NPCs is also a fantastic idea, as I recently realized while playing Crytek's excellent Hunt: Showdown. Rust doesn't need them so much, because you can barely swing a dead cat without hitting a bloodthirsty naked player there, but in something slower and more realistic (and therefor emptier) like LiF they'd be a fantastic addition. However, my feeling is that development has slowed since the negative reviews started gaining the upper hand on Steam in recent months, so we may never see any of this. Nevertheless I'll keep playing and stay hopeful. I might or might not start inviting people from the LiF Steam forum to join my guild, and/or Rust players I know, depending on how many CULT people end up getting into this. And of course I've no idea what I am going to do if our settlement gets wiped. Not sure if I'd have the courage to start from scratch again in that scenario, so I'll do what I can to secure it over the coming days.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 29 Nov 2018 03:02

Read if you want to understand a bit about how hardcore this game is.

Playing as loner?
https://steamcommunity.com/app/700030/d ... 273500394/

You can't even make a single HOUSE if you are alone. And this is a game in which you can build giant sprawling CASTLES and entire CITIES.

It's GOTY 2017 candidate for sure. I will replace For Honor with it soon, and that's just for starters. It might well end up even higher when I get around to playing Wildlands and that Zelda game, if the latter don't deliver what I hope they will.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Some guy » 18 Dec 2020 19:11

Terrible news...

Developmenr News #194 — The End Of Life Is Feudal: MMO
https://lifeisfeudal.com/News/?art=918

We are forced to close Life is Feudal: MMO.

  Yes, that’s it, we have to close it, and we have to do it because of the reasons that are beyond our control.
  A couple of days ago we received an official letter from a certain company that basically says that they will stop paying us our share from LiF: MMO. There is nothing much we can do in a legal way since we do not have the required funds to pay for the costly legislation in the US. Especially in a situation where our own hard-earned money will be most probably used against us.
  Back in 2016, this company was preparing its first steps as a publisher and a video games investor. From our perspective, we believed in them and thought that a publisher who is making its first steps will be more motivated and more flexible in a way how they can publish and market our hardcore niche MMO.
  It resulted in some hectic marketing and PR attempts, partly misused marketing budget, and failing to fulfill some of their obligations. In the end, we had to make our own attempt to establish operations in the CIS region, work by ourselves with a PR agency, and try to grow our own marketing department.
  We knew pretty well that there is no way we can force them to do what they had to but didn’t want to do. Thus, we’ve maintained this status quo, where we were basically left alone dealing with the game and continued our own attempts to promote it.
  This status quo persisted until recently we’ve received the communications from this company offering a certain deal. After some negotiations, we’ve realized that this deal possesses certain risks for us, and we’re not interested in it. Thus, we’ve refused their offers.
  That is when things “went south”. We’ve felt ourselves under great business, legal, and financial pressure. This pressure didn't work.
  But it also means that, unfortunately, we can no longer pay for the servers, GM, and online support and, effectively, we cannot continue updating the game. There is nothing much we can do in this situation, and we’re simply forced to close the game.

So what is going to happen next?

  We plan to bring all servers down on the 18th of January 2021 - shortly after the 3rd year anniversary of Life is Feudal: MMO release on Steam.
  Before that, we plan to release a patch with what was prepared by us before and is ready to be released. It is not a fully complete patch, but it should provide some fresh experience for you in the last days of Life is Feudal: MMO.
  Our GM team will also accept requests for aerial screenshots of your villages/towns/castles/bases. We plan to immortalize them along with screenshots of other castles from previous wipes on our site gallery.
  We’re incredibly thankful for the journey you’ve taken alongside us during those years. We’ve heard stories about friendships and families forged on the vast spaces of Avalon, Epleland, Skjultland, Buyan, Telmun, Iriy, and Godenland, and we appreciate the part we were able to play in your lives, it is a true honor. The amount of support you’ve shown to us throughout this time is incredible. We send you our limitless gratitude and apologize for letting you down like this.

  It is a powerful blow for us, but we will stand as a team, and as a family! We cannot promise it to you as “soon”, but please do expect some news from us in the not so distant future!
  We expect that you have a lot of questions - we’ll try to cover some of them below.

Can we still play LiF:MMO?
The servers will continue to work as usual until January 18th, 2021.

Will Illa-Newydd be available?
On January 18th, both Godenland and Illa-Newydd will be closed for public access.

What happens with our premium currency?
You should not be able to purchase new currency, but will be able to spend the one you currently have for further purchases (such as skins, boosters, etc.)

What happens with our premium subscriptions?
All subscriptions will be canceled. We’ve started the process this Monday and expect that all accounts will be processed by the end of this week. We recommend you check the status of your subscription by yourself and cancel it if needed.
We also activated a free premium subscription for every account until worlds are closed.

Can we expect any refunds?
All the refunds are processed, as usual, on the Xsolla side at https://help.xsolla.com. Xsolla has our permission for the refund of any premium currency and subscription that was done in the last 45 days (purchases made after November 1st).

Will there be a world wipe for the last month?
There are no plans to perform either partial or full world wipe before closing the servers.

Will there be any updates for LiF: MMO?
Yes and no. The planned update is unfinished, but we will separate the changes that we hope will provide entertaining PvP gameplay for the last days of Life is Feudal: MMO. We will provide details about this later. But since we’re forced to close the game you should not expect any updates after its closure.

Will there be any world rules update?
We will no longer issue bans or warnings based on the PvP world rules violation. Using movable objects to get inside enemy claims will be legal again. Make sure to have a LOT of unlimited PvP fun during those last days of LiF: MMO!

Can we expect any changes in the JH/HJH system?
We intend to set most of the active guilds to rank 1 until the worlds are closed (excluding the Christmas holidays). It should give you enough time to enjoy the carnage. The holidays JH disabling should remain unaffected.

Does this situation involve Life is Feudal: Your Own and/or Life is Feudal: Forest Village?
No, those games remain unaffected and will still be playable.

Does this mean there will be a LiF:YO update?
It is hard to predict whether there will be an official update for Your Own right now, due to the differences between the two projects. There is no final decision on this topic yet.

What about the LiF: MMO version that has been deployed for the Chinese market? Can we play it?
This version is being developed in partnership with Tiancity and should not be affected by this issue. However, it is not publicly available yet. We recommend you keep an eye on updates on their site: https://lif.tiancity.com/

What about the new engine you’ve talked about on your last AMA?
This project should not be affected by this issue and is still being developed. There is nothing much we can tell so far, but you should expect some news next year.

Once again, thank you for this adventure.

— The Team
Some guy

Unread postby ChevRage » 18 Dec 2020 20:33

Jesus Christ!

That really sucks. Some of my most cherished gaming memories have come from playing this game. All those hours of chopping down trees and flattening land. Building my first shack. Killing my first boar. Working together with everybody to help raise our Cult Kingdom up out of the dirt and mud. I still remember what our corner of that plateau looked like when we first came across it. It was winter and there was a sizeable collection of trees, not quite a forest but with enough wood for us to build a proper foundation. The land was flat and wide enough that we didn't need to terraform it for very long before we could start building our kingdom. And over the many weeks of playing, in-game the seasons had changed to summer, and we had turned the almost barren land into THIS:

It was great that Robomoo was there to take that picture. In hindsight we really should have done some before/after photos for some comparisons, but we really didn't know how it would turn out when we first stumbled upon this area. We had already been travelling for hours and hours, having found several settlement locations, some of which we had already started building on before finding fatal flaws and being forced to abandon them.

I think I might jump on for the last few hours of its life to be inside the game's world just a little more and bid it farewell.
ChevRage

Unread postby Some guy » 18 Dec 2020 21:42

I'll join you sometime over the next few weeks, Chev. We have until the 18th of January.

There is a chance we'll be able to play the Chinese version but I won't hold my breath.
Some guy

Unread postby Agentx » 18 Dec 2020 23:22

I'm glad we got to play as we did, there really isn't anything else quite like it. Never did find that gold...
Agentx

Unread postby icycalm » 18 Dec 2020 23:33

Am I the only one who noted the comment about the "new engine" that's coming "next year"? It's right at the end of the statement.

It might be a brand-new game, and the shutting down of LiF might be a way for them to focus on this new game. From what I know about game engines, it's sometimes harder to add features into an existing game than to start a new one from the ground up. Maybe that's what's happening here, but in order to avoid pissing off long-time players by telling them they are killing the game to focus on a new one, they are citing circumstances beyond their control.

Agentx wrote:I'm glad we got to play as we did, there really isn't anything else quite like it. Never did find that gold...

There actually is something else like it: Wurm Online. LiF is its spiritual successor.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1179680/Wurm_Online/

And it has a 6/10 rating on Steam lol, just above LiF's rating. I guess that means LiF is even more hardcore.

We should set a weekend and try it at some point. Maybe once D&D has been sorted and stabilized.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 19 Dec 2020 00:05

https://steamcommunity.com/app/700030/e ... 4714873202

Chazerous wrote:Can we get teh server files so we might try to make our own MMO servers?

https://steamcommunity.com/app/700030/e ... 4715259044

[40-1]King_Kosher wrote:release the freaking server files ffs

everyone told you,the plan to go self-made mmo was biting too much to chew but no,it had to be done,now look at this mess

r e l e a s e the server files

I see Life is Uberfeudal coming.

Actually, we can already run our own server of Life is Feudal: Your Own which is almost the same game just with a single grid square and I think 64-player limit. It just won't be the same thing. If they release the MMO's server files, people will need at least a couple dozen servers to approximate the feel of the MMO. I think it was comprised of 144 servers if I am not mistaken.

Someone on Steam is recommending this as a good alternative lol: http://www.havenandhearth.com/portal/
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 24 Dec 2020 22:09

Two posts from the LiF Discord that all but confirm a spiritual sequel, if not an actual sequel.

This is from the director himself a few days ago. Look at the last line. He couldn't make it any more obvious. I've already noted above his devlog reference to a new engine.

This is from the community manager earlier today. The parenthesis all but confirms that the new game will be "feudal" too.

It's happening next year, and CULT will be there day 1.

I am expecting to see new features left out of the first game, like naval mechanics and so on. The whole thing seems like a maneuver to get rid of the legal issues they had with their publisher.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Games