SW|PC|ONE|PS4 Kaettekita Makaimura

Moderator: JC Denton

SW|PC|ONE|PS4 Kaettekita Makaimura

Unread postby ChevRage » 11 Dec 2020 06:56

English title: Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection

https://www.ghostsn-goblins.com/resurrection/us/

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/g ... on-switch/

Nintendo wrote:A Knightmare Resurrected

Ghosts ‘n Goblins Resurrection is a reboot that brings the beloved Capcom franchise back to life and into the 21st century. Paying homage to Ghosts ‘n Goblins and Ghouls ‘n Ghosts, the latest entry combines the franchise’s action platforming gameplay with storybook-like graphics and challenging new obstacles.

The game follows the valiant knight Arthur as he runs, jumps and battles his way through eerie stages set in the Demon Realm, a demonic fantasy world. Brave knights will need to proceed with extreme caution as terrifying dangers await, including familiar enemies like Zombie, Skeleton Murderer, Pigman and Red Arremer.

Ghosts ‘n Goblins Resurrection is a nostalgic, yet fresh adventure that welcomes back its faithful fans, while introduces a new generation of heroes to challenge one of gaming's classic series.

Announcement Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F177-VTSGSM

February 25, 2020.
Last edited by ChevRage on 11 Dec 2020 16:48, edited 1 time in total.
ChevRage

Unread postby icycalm » 11 Dec 2020 07:49

I added the trailer to the frontpage.

I have mixed feelings. The enemies seem the same. So it's more of a remix than a reboot. Arthur is buffed in the upper body area, which is a bit distasteful, and the charm seems overall subdued. Graphically it's a bit more higher-fidelity than Goku but it seems like the extra fidelity hasn't been exploited properly, it feels like when you see people running Nintendo 64 games at 4K on emulators; too sharp and shiny for its own good.

I suspect this was made by a Western team.

I immediately headed over to Postback to see what Recap thought, but he hasn't got wind of it yet. I'd post if I wasn't banned lol. I'll check back later.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ChevRage » 11 Dec 2020 16:48

There's more info on the game on the official site (I've edited the OP to contain it): https://www.ghostsn-goblins.com/resurrection/us/

Also Recap has made a thread about it now: http://postback.geedorah.com/foros/view ... hp?id=2517

He thinks it looks less ugly than the PSP Goku.
ChevRage

Unread postby icycalm » 11 Dec 2020 17:24

I for one don't think that Goku is ugly in the least, at least if you're tall enough to have long arms so you can hold the PSP far enough from your face so that you can't see the low-detail polys. And thinking this I realized that the new one is on Switch, so it can be played in handheld mode on a small screen, and it probably should be played this way. I am looking at the trailer on a 42-inch TV, so perhaps that's part of my initial somewhat negative reaction. So I rewatched it on my iPhone, and parts of it look almost stunning (the busier parts, with lots of stuff going on in the background, because the emptier stuff seems too barren and Nintendo-64ish even on my phone).

I really should be celebrating. I never thought I'd see one of these games again. And it just dropped like this out of the sky a couple of months before release. It's great news any way you see it. I wonder what kind of business plan convinced Capcom (and Nintendo?) that this project could be financially worthwhile. I would have liked to see the PowerPoint slides. They should add them in as unlockables.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 31 May 2021 02:03

Woah it's coming to Steam!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1375 ... urrection/

June 1.

First Makaimura on PC. We'll be able to add scanlines and stuff, and maybe make it playable.

Q-veta's already bought it.

tbh I'd rather just break out the PSP and play Goku, or perhaps even better run it on PC via emulator. But either way, it's nice to have the latest game on PC.

Btw, lots of Switch games have been low-key getting ported to Steam, if you've been paying attention.
icycalm
Hyperborean

ChevRage impressions

Unread postby ChevRage » 31 May 2021 20:51

Aw goddammit, and I already bought the Switch version... They did a CD Projekt on me!

Anyway, I've played a bit of it already. Mechanically it's a bit of a mixed bag. No arcade mode, a lame skill tree for you to unlock abilities in between stages (one of which is a double jump or triple jump or something), AND they have checkpoints in the middle of a stage to boot. I knew this would happen, alarm bells were going off in my head as I was reading headlines like "How Resurrection modernises an arcade classic", and other such tripe.

On the other hand, the hardest difficulty is pretty fucking hard, and the encounter design is nice too, as far as I can tell anyway. There's always a lot going on in a single screen that just gets more and more hectic the deeper into a stage you travel. The stages (the game offers you two alternate stages from the get go) even morph, with a huge tree erupting out of the ground or castle ruins collapsing out from under your feet. I don't remember if the PSP title did something to this extent. I have yet to finish a single stage because I always die midway, and I used to get several stages into the PSP game before getting a game over. Though to be fair, I do restart when I die rather than go back to a checkpoint (which is hard enough to reach already) and I haven't spent a single point on the skill tree like the game seems to want you to. Also, there are no lives, for what it's worth.

Even the weapon balance seems to be improved here, the knife is no longer the best choice at any given moment, and sometimes I even pick up the flame which can be more useful when around the gravestones. Pickups drop quite often too so it doesn't feel too bad to accidentally grab the wrong one in any given situation.

I'm kinda hoping that Capcom releases some sort of Arcade mode DLC or something. I understand they did something similar with the PSP title. Here's hoping they get around to it soon.
ChevRage

Q-veta impressions

Unread postby Q-veta » 02 Jun 2021 03:45

The reason Gokumakaimura got a revision is because the original had a lot of dumb collecting and item management and the revision removed that along with removing some of the extra lives although there were still way too many of them. I don't see them doing it here, there's no real reason to.

After almost six hours I have finally finished the first stage on the Legend difficulty! The first stage in this game is harder than any stage in any of the other Makaimuras by a huge margin. The only time I remember feeling this hopelessly outmatched before was when I first reached the volcano stage in Gokumakaimura. But even that's a joke compared to this.

It is absolutely relentless. In the previous games, as long as you knew what was coming up ahead you had a reasonable chance of success. Not here, even when I knew exactly what was coming up and exactly where some enemies would spawn (these had fixed spawns), it still took me two dozen tries to even make it past ONCE. And I died two dozen times more before even getting there.

I haven't beaten the first game but out of all the others, Daimakaimura is the hardest. There's a part towards the end of the game where you have two heads, one on each side of a room, shooting fireballs at you while moving up and down. Pretty tricky but you have a ladder to retreat to the previous area if you need to reposition. This is what the first stage of the new game is like:

You better have a good plan and good execution otherwise you're fucked. It's a twist on the scenario from Daimakaimura except with more heads shooting AND regular enemies spawning in AND precarious footing with no safe place to retreat to. Enemies come from everywhere almost all the time. At one point, around ten of those ghosts from the picture above spawned. Good luck handling that on your first try. Once you start moving forward there's simply no time to breathe. The best part is that it never feels cheap, you're just overwhelmed. I've never been this overwhelmed in a 2D action game before.

For comparison I don't think I've died this many times in the entirety of Chohmakaimura even though I never continued. I would not even attempt this game without infinite continues and mid-stage checkpoints, I don't think it's made for it. I would have given up long before finishing the first stage. Keep in mind that at least the first stage is twice as long as the average stage from Daimakaimura and that had mid-stage checkpoints too. I was surprised to find out this was directed by Tokuro Fujiwara, the creator of the series. I think he knew he couldn't make an arcade game in 2021 so he made each stage as hard as possible instead.

While the encounter design is the best in the entire series, mechanically it's a bit disappointing. Gokumakaimura took everything from the previous two games, most importantly the multidirectional shooting from Daimakaimura and the double jumping from Chohmakaimura, and added a few things on top of that as well. Here it's just Daimakaimura except you choose the spells you want instead of them being tied to your weapon and you can cast them even if you don't have the golden armor but they have a cooldown after each cast to compensate. Just imagine how insane the encounters would have been with double jumping. Sadly, it's not here. It's not in the skill tree, which is composed mostly by spells, either.

I think the weapon balance is the same as always. I got stuck with the hammer at the mid-stage checkpoint and I was praying for either the knife or the lance to drop for 20 minutes. Those are still the best two weapons by far.

Another downside is that all the stages I've seen so far are remixes of stages from previous games. Every other game had an original graveyard stage to start the game with, surely they could have done one here too along with completely new stages.

I'm playing it on a laptop and it looks good in motion on its smaller screen, certainly better than in the screenshots in the first post. The screenshot I posted looks a bit sparse on my main display but trust me, you do not have time to stop and look at the details in this game. While it's not a Vanillaware game or KoF XIII it's good enough although I do prefer the pixel art of Daimakaimura.

I might seem overly negative but that's because they really should have made new stages instead of remaking old ones on steroids but I can't recommend it enough because I don't think I've ever played a 2D game as action packed as this. And it's just the first stage! If you beat that on Legend without continuing then you're a 2D action god.
Q-veta

Unread postby ChevRage » 02 Jun 2021 05:33

You're right, there isn't a double jump in the skill tree, I just checked. I must've confused it with something else.

I don't share your enthusiasm for infinite continues though. There would have to be a very VERY good argument for why smaller and smaller setbacks are a good thing before I would be convinced, and at this point I don't think anybody is capable of offering one that's good enough. I definitely felt more tension in the PSP title when I was breaking new ground than in this game, because I knew that losing all lives meant an entire restart.

If Tokuro Fujiwara thinks there's no real reason for a revision, like you do, it would be a huge shame.
ChevRage

Unread postby icycalm » 02 Jun 2021 09:03

I had kinda assumed this was made by a Western team, partly because... what’s the Japanese title? Normally we learn that first before we learn the English one. And partly because the art looks like an Xbox 360 XBLA title, with glossy high-res sprites that are barely animated. I was floored to hear that not only it’s Japanese, but by Fujiwara too! I thought that guy had retired.

The double jump and multidirectional shooting were two of the three things that made Goku “goku” (extreme). So we have...

• Advanced mechanics removed
  • No new stages/stage assets
  • The worst art in the series

It’s disappointing.

That said, I am glad to hear it’s not a COMPLETE letdown and it’s still possible to enjoy it as a high-res remixed version of past games with encounter design on steroids and some experimental non-arcade progression mechanics. It’s possible that this experiment can lead to a new style of home 2D action that appeals to a more casual audience while still remaining challenging for arcade players.

I’ll save this for when I feel I am done with all the “proper” installments. I see it as something like “Makaimura Final” in the vein of R-Type Final.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Q-veta » 02 Jun 2021 10:21

ChevRage wrote:You're right, there isn't a double jump in the skill tree, I just checked. I must've confused it with something else.

I don't share your enthusiasm for infinite continues though. There would have to be a very VERY good argument for why smaller and smaller setbacks are a good thing before I would be convinced, and at this point I don't think anybody is capable of offering one that's good enough. I definitely felt more tension in the PSP title when I was breaking new ground than in this game, because I knew that losing all lives meant an entire restart.

If Tokuro Fujiwara thinks there's no real reason for a revision, like you do, it would be a huge shame.

I'm not sure what you mean by smaller and smaller setbacks. On Legend you have one mid-stage checkpoint and another one right before the boss. I'm not sure what the Banner of Rebirth shown on my level end screen is supposed to be but I assume it's another form of checkpoint on the lower difficulties. It's not there on Legend. If you mean that setbacks get smaller the further you get into the game because you don't restart the whole thing then I'd agree if the game wasn't so hard.

The reason I don't mind the infinite lives is because Gokumakaimura, especially the original, was not well-balanced in this regard at all. As soon as you get to that stage that starts off with a moving platform (about a third of the way into the game), you have a collectable extra life in almost every stage going forward, sometimes in plain sight right at the start. On the hardest difficulty there are no mid-stage checkpoints and these extra lives reset when you die so you can pick them up every single time. Once you got far enough in that game it already felt like you had infinite lives. Gokumakaimura Kai, which is the one I finished in the end, at least added checkpoints just like in every other game in the series so this was mitigated somewhat. It also removed some of the collectable extra lives. They made the stages a bit easier so it's not perfect. In Resurrection, the difficulty is cranked up to such extreme levels that with limited lives and no continues I don't think I could beat the first stage. Maybe after like 20 hours but then there's no way I'd beat the second stage. When you make the introductory stage significantly more difficult than the hardest stages in the previous games, something has to give.

I'd still recommend playing the others before because they look better. Maybe excluding the first one since it's too old and clunky for me.

Even if Capcom doesn't add an arcade mode, you can still quit after three deaths while adding another "extra life" every two or three stages which is about how fast you received them based on score in the other games. At least then you can pretend the score would actually do something because I have no idea why it's here in the first place.

Also not sure if I was clear but Resurrection does have multidirectional shooting.
Q-veta

Unread postby icycalm » 02 Jun 2021 10:31

Q if your laptop can handle it and you want to stream for us, I can set it up for you. I am sure many people here would love to see you play.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Q-veta » 02 Jun 2021 11:00

I've never streamed before but I can give it a try. Let me know what I have to do.
Q-veta

Unread postby icycalm » 02 Jun 2021 11:04

Japanese title is Kaettekita Makaimura, meaning "the return of Makaimura". Note that there was a Kaettekita Mario Brothers for the Famicom Disk System that was "an updated version of Mario Bros. that was released only in Japan": https://www.mariowiki.com/Kaettekita_Mario_Bros.

Official Japanese site: https://www.capcom.co.jp/makaimura/return/

Japanese Wikipedia page: https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%B8%B0 ... C%E6%9D%91

Game also released on ONE and PS4 along the PC release.

Updated thread title.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 02 Jun 2021 11:07

Why I'd Rather Not Play Games Than Not Stream Them
https://www.patreon.com/posts/32748414

At the end of this article, there is a checklist. Run through it, and ping me on Discord in the #online text channel when you get stuck. It's way faster and easier than it seems.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ChevRage » 02 Jun 2021 14:07

Yeah definitely would like to see you play Q. Streaming is easy and it's fun too.

As for what I meant by the setbacks remark, I phrased it really awkwardly, but the gist of what I meant was about the punishment for death. It's not really as pronounced in this game with the infinite lives, and you even get to keep the skill points you collect without needing to complete the stage. Not that you can grind them, they are all unique in unique locations and stay picked up once you have grabbed them.

I never did get up to the infinite lives you talk about in Gokumakaimura Kai though, I probably wasn't good enough lol. I'll try emulating it at some point I think.
ChevRage

Unread postby Q-veta » 03 Jun 2021 21:41

I totally get what you mean and I felt the same way when playing all these games at the start. I didn't notice Gokumakaimura gave you so many lives until I got further into the game and could mostly breeze past the earlier sections. Looking back, only Daimakaimura felt like a rush from beginning to end; when I finished the others it felt a lot more leisurely since they're easier for various reasons. Also when I'm criticizing these games, it's only compared to Daimakaimura, they're all fantastic.

icy mentioned the movement being slow on the stream but it's actually as fast as Daimakaimura. The difference is Arthur's running animation is jank in this game. It looked off from the first trailer, he makes too many steps for how fast he's running forward. It doesn't bother me though, if you look at Arthur for more than a few seconds you'll die (maybe a lesson for “indie” devs here).

The spells are a lot weaker than in previous games, at least with the lightning spell you could kill any enemy, even the red arremer, if they were on top of you. You can only kill the weakest enemies with it and that's the most useful spell so far.

There are two more changes which I like. The first is that you can change direction while crouched (I died a lot in Daimakaimura because you can't there). Considering how many times you have to shoot on both sides, it's a good change. The other change is to the chest system where it's more in line with Daimakaimura. In Gokumakaimura you had like 15 per stage and in dumb places because the original version had a stupid collecting aspect to it. Here it's simplified but some of them are in more dangerous or inaccessible areas. In Daimakaimura the thing you find in a chest is set, so if you have the regular armor the second chest you find will always have the golden armor. Here it's the same but there's a small chance you'll find a magician, although I do wish this happened more often.

For the visuals I definitely recommend a smaller screen and standing further away from it. Even on my laptop, when I moved it closer to check how the stream looked the art looked a lot rougher. I think it would look good on the Switch screen if held up close, that's as big a screen as you should use if it's that close to your face. If you want to play it on a TV I recommend staying pretty far away. Still, some of the stuff in this game is gorgeous. The storm section in the forest with heavy winds blew me away lol.
Q-veta

Unread postby icycalm » 04 Jun 2021 19:09

An update on what I think about the graphics/aesthetics.

Watching Q play on my phone yesterday made the game look gorgeous. My phone has a 4-inch screen, the PSP has 4.3, so it's about the same. I reckon Kaettekita looks better than Goku on that size screen, but I would have to take another look at Goku as it's been like a decade since I last played.

Today I took another look at Q's stream, this time on my 15-inch laptop, and, all things told, it still looked pretty damn great. There are upsides and downsides. The upsides is that you can now properly see all the animation the game world is brimming with, like swaying blades of grass or even entire swaying TREES. That's definitely an upgrade even from the 2D games. The backgrounds come alive here. It's quite something. These aren't throwaway effects either, it's clear a lot of love has gone into them.

On the other hand, the same can't be said about the animation of Arthur and the enemies. It's as if all the energy that went into animating the backgrounds has come out of animating the characters, and that's a mistake as it's the characters that you'll be mostly looking at, especially in such a brutal game. The people trashing this game are right in this respect: the characters look like they popped out of a Flash game, and this is especially bad the bigger the enemy is. I am guessing the bosses will look pretty bad. I didn't watch enough to see one of them.

That said, the game looks OVERALL pretty damn good on my laptop screen. I would be okay with playing it there. No scanlines needed btw. This is a proper high-res game. That said, people have been making even 4K bleeding-edge games look cooler with scanlines, so maybe they can help here too if set up properly.

I would like to try this on a tablet or mini-laptop 10-inch screen. That could be the sweetspot between PSP/phone and laptop. On the other hand, the Switch screen is 6.2 inches, and that might be the actual sweetspot, since the game was designed for it lol.

Maybe you didn't get shafted after all, Chev.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 04 Jun 2021 19:21

To clarify, you need a screen big enough to be able to make out the detail in the animations of the backgrounds, but not so big that you're making out the lack of proper animation in the characters. And the Switch's screen might be that perfect sweetspot, which would make sense if the graphics people developed and tested the game on that screen.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 21 Jul 2021 04:53

THIS HAS CO-OP??????

How co-op came to Ghosts ‘n Goblins Resurrection, out on PS4 June 1
https://blog.playstation.com/2021/05/28 ... s4-june-1/

Kellen Haney wrote:Capcom discusses the origins of the legendary franchise’s new side-scrolling co-op characters.

Kellen Haney wrote:Not only are there multiple difficulty modes that cater to players of all skill levels, we’ve also included a series first: two-player local co-op.

To shine a light on the decision to give this traditionally single-player experience a two-player twist, we spoke with the game’s Chief Producer, Yoshiaki Hirabayashi (a.k.a. “H”). Best known for his work on the Resident Evil franchise, H was kind enough to speak with us about how this mode came to be.

“The local co-op mode was an idea that existed from the earliest stages of the development phase, and was brought up by Director Tokuro Fujiwara,” says Mr. Hirabayashi. Long-time Capcom fans may recognize that name – Mr. Fujiwara was also the director of the original Ghosts ‘n Goblins, and returned to direct Ghosts ‘n Goblins Resurrection, as well.

“The first time the format and goals of this mode were presented by Director Fujiwara, I felt that it was spectacular and I wanted to make it happen, ” says Mr. Hirabayashi.

When you consider how long the franchise has been a strictly single-player affair, it raises the question: What made this the right time to add co-op?

“This IP has been loved by many players for over 35 years, and those who played the earlier titles may now have kids of their own,” explains Mr. Hirabayashi. Mr. Hirabayashi recalls that the entire dev team was excited by the idea of co-op mode, hoping this addition would allow the game to transcend generations and offer a great way for long-time fans to share this arcade-style experience with their kids or even family and friends who may be new to platformers.

“Of course, it was a challenge for us to prepare this mode, as we knew there were going to be certain expectations since this is the first title within the series that supports this kind of gameplay,” says Mr. Hirabayashi. “Overcoming the difficulty the game provides while having fun playing and communicating with your friend or loved one is a brand new concept, and we weren’t sure how players were going to react to this.”

Despite these concerns, Mr. Fujiwara seemed confident in its inclusion and the joy it would bring to players both young and old.

“When Director Fujiwara first explained the concept of this co-op mode to me, I remember imagining how much fun it would be to enjoy this game with my child,” says Mr. Hirabayashi. “I was very excited about it!”

Of course, Ghosts ‘n Goblins is known for its difficulty more than most other games of its time (and even games today), and the team considered that factor, too.

“From the beginning, the concept of the co-op mode was to provide a brand new experience unique from the single-player mode so there wasn’t a strong need for it to be balanced in comparison to the difficulty of the standard experience,” says Mr. Hirabayashi. “The aim of this mode is to get two players to have fun cooperating together to overcome a challenge, and the balancing of the difficulty was not a big priority.”

In other words, the goal for this mode was not to create an experience that would be challenging for two players, but rather to make the game fun for two people to enjoy it together. It brings a different feel to the game while not taking away from the solo challenge that it offers.

“With this in mind, we designed the support characters to be flexible in terms of their functionality, and helpful when it comes to assisting Arthur,” says Mr. Hirabayashi. “We hope that when players experience this mode, they can loosen up and have a fun time talking and working together.”

Speaking of those support characters, there’s three in total: Barry, Kerry, and Archie. As their names might suggest, these spirited assistants each serve a different purpose when it comes to aiding Arthur. However, they aren’t just helpers – there’s a bit of story there, too.

“The Three Wise Guys are Arthur’s ancestors, and, considering their role of being assistants who helps him, we thought this was the most appropriate way to include them,” says Mr. Hirabayashi.

Considering they’re his ancestors, you might want to take a closer look at their mannerisms. “Each Wise Guy has their own unique design, but if you look at them carefully, don’t you think they look a bit like Arthur?,” asks Mr. Hirabayashi.

Aside from their designs, special attention was also paid to how each one plays. Each of Arthur’s ancestors boasts their own unique skills, adding a new layer to co-op gameplay.

“An important thing to note is that the functionality of the Three Wise Guys are different from what Arthur is capable of doing,” says Mr. Hirabayashi. “Our intention was to provide a brand new experience that the single player mode can’t deliver on, and give the players a way to expand on the fun ideas that are only available in co-op mode.”

Funnily enough, Mr. Fujiwara seems to still have a bit of a mischievous approach when it comes to game design – even for elements of the game that should be friendly in the hands of two players playing side-by-side.

“From the beginning, we’ve been talking about this as a co-op mode, but the Director has always been expecting there to be certain players who will think of fun ways to play this mode that aren’t necessarily ‘cooperative’,” says Mr. Hirabayashi. “For example, Kerry is a character who literally carries Arthur around, but that doesn’t always mean he’s going to place Arthur on solid ground. A co-op partner with a mischievous spirit may ultimately become a hindrance, making the game feel more like a single-player mode with another troublesome enemy that gets in your way!”

True to Ghosts ‘n Goblins, even having someone else join you in co-op can still be part of the challenge. Turns out there are some things worse than a Red Arremer, and they might be sitting right next to you on the couch. Perhaps most importantly, Mr. Hirabayashi envisions people finding their own ways to enjoy co-op in unexpected ways.

“We designed the support characters this way on purpose,” says Mr. Hirabayashi. “A fun way we thought players could enjoy the game is for players controlling Arthur to try to complete a stage under a certain amount of time, and for the ‘support’ character to keep him from accomplishing his goal.” For seasoned veterans playing with newly christened knights, coming up with unique ways to use the co-op mode is a great way to find new and fun ways to enjoy the game together.

I’d like to provide a huge thank you to Mr. Hirabayashi for taking the time to answer our questions about the co-op mode! And co-op isn’t the only way to enjoy the game. With multiple difficulty modes, you’ll be able to enjoy the game at a pace that’s right for you and explore everything that Ghosts ‘n Goblins Resurrection has to offer. After all, it wouldn’t be a GnG game if the game ended after the first playthrough, right?

Co-op trailer: https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ImpartialElem ... mobile.mp4

Gotta try this with Steam Remote Play. I don't know how you guys been playing this solo without trying it. From the sounds of it, it makes the game easier, so maybe it makes it easier enough to be properly 1CCable. Not to mention even more fun than solo. It sounds, and it looks, like a riot. Check the trailer.

I AM worried about lag via online though in such a precise platformer. In which case I would try to save it for meetups. It'd be the perfect meetup game too because of its arcade nature: just play a couple of credits in the morning and at night, etc.

Actually, it'd be ideal for an actual arcade.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 21 Jul 2021 16:36

If there’s a lag issue online, it might be possible to mitigate it. First, play with someone near you. Second, the person hosting the Remote Play session should be controlling Arthur. The way I understand it, it’s Arthur who has to survive, and his ancestors are invulnerable? At any rate, it’s Arthur killing things, so I think he’s more important than the other player (and btw the players could take turns controlling Arthur, and thus hosting the game, so they’d have an equal experience).

This sounds like a riot. Could be the best in the series just due to this. If anyone in Europe wants to play with me, let me know. I should be able to play in mid-August.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 21 Jul 2021 16:51

I am probably reaching here, but maybe this is why there’s no double-jump: there’s a ghost that flies you around and another ghost that builds platforms for you!

So okay, we lost one ability from past games, but we gained the most unique co-op mode in the history of videogames probably! It just opens up so many action possibilities!

And of course it makes the game easier so it helps that this is the toughest in the series and that, at least in single-player, the hardest difficulty seems impossible to 1CC.

I am so excited to try this.
icycalm
Hyperborean

CULT LIVE: Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection

Unread postby icycalm » 21 Jul 2021 22:13

Should have done this earlier. At any rate, if you scroll up you'll see detailed impressions from Chev and Q, and here are Q's streams so far:

Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection (Legend) with Q-veta 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVZUf5VbXzs

Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection (Legend) with Q-veta 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zonJEQrXnk

Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection (Legend) with Q-veta 4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaUASq286CU

Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection (Legend) with Q-veta 5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DENEZGC7ty0

Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection (Legend) with Q-veta 6
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4D0UVOz7Gg

1 is missing because he only got into streaming with 2.

I look forward to providing co-op streams in about a month or so.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 21 Jul 2021 22:41

So the best hardware for it might be the Steam Deck lol. Slightly larger screen than the Switch, and you get the most responsive version. Should be able to stream from it easily too.

And with an emulator you could probably play Goku too, with scanlines.

Perfect for meetups too.

I might not cancel my Deck preorder after all.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ChevRage » 23 Jul 2021 09:09

Damn, I actually completely forgot about the co-op option. It only comes up as you make a new save file, and isn't prominently featured in any other menus. I made a note of it when I saw it to try it out with a housemate, but then promptly forgot about it after the ensuing beatdown.

I was kind of expecting it to be just two Arthurs running around when I first saw it, I guess that's why I wasn't so enthused to immediately look it up. Though maybe an entire save file dedicated to 2P should have clued me in to them taking it more seriously than that.
ChevRage

Next

Return to Games