default header

Games

AC|360|PS3|PS4 Virtua Fighter 5

Moderator: JC Denton

AC|360|PS3|PS4 Virtua Fighter 5

Unread postby Chuplayer » 19 Aug 2006 02:31

I'm aware that this post doesn't amount to much, but I don't care.

http://forum.insomnia.ac/images/headers ... ghter5.jpg

Holy shit. It looks so real 0_0
Chuplayer

Unread postby icycalm » 20 Aug 2006 19:40

Yeah, everything about this game is amazing. I didn't play 4 much, but I plan to really get into this.

(Also, Lindbergh kicks ass in every possible way: from the screen and controls, down to the leather-covered stool that goes with the cabinet.)
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Hayama Akito » 21 Dec 2006 21:56

And now is coming also to Xbox 360.
Protect the world, even if the future of the world is uncertain...
Hayama Akito

Unread postby EmX » 17 Dec 2007 14:54

Hello! I decided to stop by round these parts for one reason only: I was wondering if Icy or any of the other posters here had any plans to get in on Virtua Fighter 5 Live Arena. The game has been out for quite a while and to me it's the holy grail of our hobby. Nothing better, period. Let me know if you want to get some games in. Right now I moderate Virtuafighter.com and I'll be happy to slog through some of the stuff there and pull up relevant gameplay info for anyone who asks nicely.
EmX

Unread postby EmX » 17 Dec 2007 16:01

I posted this over at SRK and thought it might be of interest to y'all:

There seems to be no shortage of rationalizations trotted out by people in other communities for not wanting to play VF5. Most of them are pretty nonsensical and borderline on posturing, and then some are justified -- not having the time, just not liking the game, etc.

Another issue with VF's appeal in the West is that because of the proliferation of story-based and "experience"-style games people are put off by the lack of context in VFs overall story. Okay, so, people just kinda fight and it's really, really pretty? This is a sensibility more suited to the arcade where you're there with friends and just want cool shit to happen on screen.

I think the reputation that VF players have of being elitist, know-it-all snobs when it comes to their game and others damages the potential size of the community as well. (whether this reputation is justified is a whole nother can of worms I'd like NOT to discuss with anyone ever again, because it's such a huge distraction from actually playing the damn game...)

If people would stop trying to front-load their interaction with these types of games with all kinds of mental noise and pointless bickering/posturing and just SHUT THE HELL UP and play to see if they like it or not and went from there, I think life would be a lot easier for everyone. I think VF, along with the rest of the competitive fighting set would be a lot better off overall...
EmX

Unread postby icycalm » 17 Dec 2007 16:21

Hello EmX. First off, I want you to know that I believe I should have IP banned you the moment you registered in this forum. This is not only because I believe you are unapologetically stupid (which is reason enough for anyone to get banned from this forum) but also because you have spammed the hell out of every thread I've made on SB in the last two months with your bullshit.

But ANYWAY. I will forget all that as long as you keep behaving in this forum as a gentleman. But I am warning you that you will be IP banned the moment I read a single sentence from you that I don't like.

On the subject at hand I don't have much to say. I don't play fighting games online, so I'll have to decline your invitation. Besides, I don't even own any VF5 ports, nor do I plan to buy any.

As for the rest... I don't exactly understand why you bother discussing VF5 with people who don't play the game. If they don't play it, what can they possible have to say that would be of interest to those who do?
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby recoil » 27 Feb 2010 02:54

http://www.versuscity.net/2010/02/19/vi ... -showdown/

Oichi wrote:Just announced at AOU. No details but you can see from the video that there’s a LOT of new animation that will probably make its way into the game somehow. There are also a ton of new costumes. From what I can tell the game is working a lot like Soulcalibur 3 with more ground-based stun juggles rather than float juggles, something that a lot of western gamers really hate to see (bodies flying in the air because of weak jabs).
recoil

AC|360|PS3|PS4 Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown

Unread postby Q-veta » 04 Jun 2021 15:19

https://virtuafighter5us.sega.com/lang/en.html

This got ported to the PS4 recently and got a visual update. I assume it will be coming to PC at some point since I can't think of any fighter this generation that's exclusive to PS4.

Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown | HD Upgrade Trailer (PlayStation 4)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG5bD4xEC5E

Unfortunately in a lot of ways this new version looks worse than the original. This is from the above trailer:

The reflections are completely absent and that set the mood for the entire stage. It's like this for every stage with water. I mean maybe the new water shader is more advance technically but it doesn't capture the original look well at all. I don't like some of the new faces, especially Akira's since he looks more angry than focused now.

This post gives some more examples of visual downgrades:
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/final-sh ... -263691137

They added hitsparks for the first time in the series but they look lame compared to the ones in Tekken 7. The new UI is also uglier than the one in the original VF5.

The saddest part is that even if you don't like the series, it's undeniable that these games were cutting edge from a graphics tech standpoint at the time of their release. Now we get something that looks like a budget PS4 title. It would have been better if they had either ported all the games in the series in a nice collection or just made VF6. It's not bad looking by any means but I really hoped for something better than this.
Q-veta

Return to Games