default header

Games

[PSP] Crisis Core -Final Fantasy VII-

Moderator: JC Denton

[PSP] Crisis Core -Final Fantasy VII-

Unread postby icycalm » 04 May 2008 13:20

More funny soundbites from the Okamoto interview on Gamasutra:

CN: But even though the PSP itself has been selling really well globally, the games haven't been. Any thoughts on why that is?

YO: Hmm, I wonder what the situation is in America.

Shinichiro Kajitani: I think game sales in America have been low for the PSP since launch.

YMG: Have they been selling well in Japan?

YO: I'd say so. I think the games have been selling pretty well.

SK: There have been a few titles that have sold over a million copies.

CN: But not even Crisis Core sold a million recently.

SK: That might be because it's not a very good game.

YO: Whose interview is this, anyway? (laughter, apologies) He used to work for Square Enix, so he's always really harsh with his criticism.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3 ... php?page=7

The fucking game is terrible. I plan to write a review soon.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Tetsuya » 05 May 2008 20:34

I've almost finished the Japanese version but I tend to think that's one of the best examples of fanboy-friendly game of the last few years:

The license is attractive, the graphics are great and everyone talk(ed) about it. PSP-haters say that it's the first interesting title for the system and pseudo-PSP-lovers brag about it. But no one seems to give a shit about the "gameplay": I haven't read any constructive criticism about the absurdity of the "modulating phazes".
Tetsuya

Unread postby icycalm » 05 May 2008 20:43

Tetsuya wrote:the graphics are great

From a technical perspective they are merely passable. From an aesthetic one they are terrible. No inspiration whatsoever.

icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Molloy » 06 May 2008 14:05

Hahaha, brilliant interview. Got to love the blunt honesty. It's a rare thing these days.
Molloy

Unread postby bullethell » 08 Jun 2008 12:04

I played it for five hours. Square should be ashamed. Empty gameplay ideas full with emo-heroes Video sequences. A leveling up system that is not working well. Awful Combat System, just press X Action button. Unbalanced.
Super easy on Normal Mode and ultimately hard on Hard Mode. Boring missions with the same settings that repeat themselves. Do I need to write more? As Icy said avoid it.
bullethell

Unread postby walrusdawg » 16 Jul 2008 09:32

Crisis Core seems to come from the school of thought that says games should be 90% presentation and 10% whatever the hell else. And since it's FFVII, SE seems to think that it's okay to swap presentation for esoteric bullshit. If someone asked me to design a mediocre action game crossed with a mediocre pachislot game I'm pretty sure I'd make this exact game. You might think calling it a pachislot game is derisive of that aspect, but watching the wheels spin is probably the best part of the game.
walrusdawg

Unread postby adrenalinq » 29 Aug 2008 09:45

This action game is so dull that I must admit that it brings more pleasure just to sleep that play this.
Terminator in bath bend down to pick up a soap. On his display massage appeared: "Warning! New hardware detected!"
adrenalinq

Unread postby bullethell » 04 Sep 2008 08:47

Edge Magazine gave it a 6 points Score. ''A game just for the fans'', they said. A 5 or even a 4 is more a appropriate score for such a mediocre ARPG. Final Fantasy XII was spectacular because among other great things it features a deep and addictive real-time combat system. In contrast to FFXII's interesting combat and leveling system, Crisis Core's combat system is totally unbalanced and its leveling system a joke. How the hell you can continue playing an Action RPG title if you cannot stand its battles. Every time I hear Crisis Core I remember Vagrant Story and cry.

Icy please review it, I am looking forward to it.

I am worried about Square Enix's PSP multiplayer RPG Final Fantasy Agito XIII.
bullethell

Unread postby ars~moriendi » 05 Sep 2008 20:23

This game is easily dismissed by those who hate JRPG's and FFVII specifically. The Combat, on hard, is pretty dynamic. You certainly won't be "pressing x to win". The story and art are 'Advent Children' toned down, so yeah, not the most compelling. The leveling system isnt broken, but it is sort of hidden which is refreshing to me. The missions (around 300) are pretty generic but offer interesting rewards and enemy encounters. Crisis Core is far from terrible!

Edited: Cut me some slack. I made that post from my PSP web browser.
Last edited by ars~moriendi on 06 Sep 2008 20:48, edited 1 time in total.
ars~moriendi

Unread postby icycalm » 06 Sep 2008 01:33

Crisis Core defines terrible. In fact, in Japanese, "Kuraisisu Koru" means exactly that -- "terrible".

PS. You have 24 hours to edit your post with proper capitalization/punctuation, etc. -- including acronyms and game titles -- failing to do which will get you banned (see here for the reasons).

I will save here your post so that we can then laugh at how kuraisisu koru it was:

ars~moriendi wrote:This game is easily dismissed by those who hate jrpg's and ffvii specifically. the Combat on hard is pretty dynamic. You Certainly won't be "pressing x to win". The story and art are advent children toned down, so yeah, not the most compelling. the leveling system isnt broken, but it is sort of hidden which is refreshing to me. the missions (around 300) are pretty generic but offer interesting rewards and enemy encounters. Crisis Core is far from terrible!
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 06 Sep 2008 21:57

ars~moriendi wrote:Edited: Cut me some slack. I made that post from my PSP web browser.

What do I care where you made the post from? Just don't write like a retard in my forum -- it's as simple as that.

And the plural of JRPG is JRPGs -- not JRPG's. Same with TVs, DVDs, etc. Keep this in mind when posting here.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ars~moriendi » 07 Sep 2008 01:20

For someone so picky about language, I'm a bit concerned at your overuse of the word retard. I would say I'm looking forward to your review of Crisis Core, but your reviews are all so boring that I'd be lying.
ars~moriendi

Unread postby icycalm » 07 Sep 2008 01:41

Good-bye, retard. It's back to the IGN forums for you, I am afraid.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Games