default header

Recommended versus multiplayer & arcade games

Moderator: JC Denton

Recommended versus multiplayer & arcade games

Unread postby icycalm » 17 Mar 2017 19:43

As mentioned elsewhere, I would like our three main VS MP games to be PS2, PA:T, and For Honor, with Dawn of War 3 added when it lands in about five weeks' time.

For the record, I think that, as long as they are played in optimal conditions, PS2 > PA:T > For Honor. (They are all incredible games of course.) We'll see where Dawn of War 3 fits when it arrives. I am hoping somewhere between PA:T and For Honor. That would be the best outcome.

Another such game I want to try is Paragon. I don't have huge hopes about it, but then again I didn't think much of PS2 before I tried it either.

And we've already said Arcana Heart 3 will be our main in the 2D FTG genre. I need to start playing that soon.

Any more suggestions in this broad category of games, post them here for discussion.

RECOMMENDED VERSUS MULTIPLAYER & ARCADE GAME LIST

2P
PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (PC)
Under Night In-Birth Exe: Late (PC)
Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2 (PC)
Metal Slug (PC)

3P
Planetary Annihilation: Titans (PC/MAC)

4P
Rust (PC/MAC)

5P
Rust (PC/MAC)
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege (PC)

6P
Rust (PC/MAC)
Tiger Knight: Empire War (PC)

7P+
Rust (PC/MAC)
PlanetSide 2 (PC)

Games to try: EVE Online (PC), Star Citizen (PC)
Last edited by icycalm on 04 Jul 2017 20:50, edited 21 times in total.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 17 Mar 2017 19:46

I recently read a brief review of Eve on Steam that intrigued me and made me want to try the game. I'll post it if I can find it again. I am not sure I saved it.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 18 Mar 2017 00:01

I am also considering Star Citizen. The campaign will be co-op, for one thing, and the game is already in alpha and can be played in various MP modes.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 19 Mar 2017 03:21

Updated the OP with the current official game list:

2P Arcana Heart 3 LOVE MAX!!!!! - PC/PS3
3P Dawn of War II: Retribution (Dawn of War III: Prophecy of War from April 27) - PC
4P For Honor - PC/PS4
5P Planetary Annihilation: Titans - PC
6P+ PlanetSide 2 - PC

PlanetSide is also on PS4, but in contrast to Arcana Heart and For Honor, this game can accommodate all available players simultaneously, so it doesn't really make any sense to divide our attention between formats when we are praying for more players to join us and when each extra player doubles the amount of fun we are having. So we'll be sticking to the PC version.

Also, PA:T is playable with way more than just five players, but we need recoil to set up the custom server again, and teach some of us how to get it up and running. I really want this to happen because 15- or 20-player games in the MP lobby (in, say 5v5v5 format or 8v12 or whatever) are bound to attract lots of people to play against us, and are hella fun of course.

If you want to suggest replacing a game or adding more games to the list, post in this thread and we'll discuss it.

Note that this thread is for non-campaign games; for jump-in, jump-out games that we can play over the long term, mainly without appointments. For pick-up games, basically.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 31 Mar 2017 14:49

Changed the thread's title from "Versus multiplayer games" to "Recommended versus multiplayer & arcade games" to reflect the fact that 1) We'll be adding arcade games like Metal Slug to the list, and 2) These are the recommended games that people in the clan should buy if they have any interest in them.

And then I added Metal Slug at the 2P tier and Rainbow Six Siege at the 5P. Also, added Mac as a format for PA. Had totally forgotten this has crossplay with Mac, so I am glad we have a game that Mac people can also play natively.

Another thing is that I am thinking of removing the PS3 version of Arcana Heart, since the way I understand it it's not possible to get scanlines in that version, and I hate recommending anything that's botched from the start. On the other hand, what happens if you connect your PS3 to a CRT monitor? Is it possible to output the game at 480p (the arcade version's native res)? If that is the case, then I can leave it in the list even if no one plays like that (except perhaps danjiro who plays everything on CRT).

Finally, it would be cool if recoil set up the custom PA server for this weekend, so that if under five of us are left after this weekend's PS2 session, we can go on PA and make some crazy lobby like 3v3v3v3v3v3 or something. It's the weekend, so we should be able to fill it up with people, and I am always up for something like that, even if I don't feel like playing an RTS at the moment. These huge games are so novel that I am willing to jump into them even if I can't keep my eyes open from exhaustion. The possibility of such a game wakes me up (and it better wake me up because they are brutal).
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 30 Apr 2017 14:52

Since the list has gotten fairly long, it's worth pointing out the games we play the most so that new players who can't buy everything have an idea of what to buy/install first.

The games we most frequently play are Siege for small groups of up to five players, and PS2 for larger groups from six players up, plus PA:T for pretty much all group sizes from three players up. So get these games first before you get anything else if you are at all interested in them (and I realize that many people aren't into tactics/strategy, so if you are among those skip PA:T and just get the other two).
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 01 Jun 2017 12:46

Removed Paragon from the to-try list, because we tried it and it sucks, and replaced it with Rust. Added PUBG to the 2P, 3P and 4P tiers. The most popular games right now are PUBG and Siege, but, as always, have PS2 installed too just in case we get 7+ people on a Saturday.

Also removed Dawn of War completely because, let's face it, it was Qpo's idea and none of them are very good games.

We should also play some PA soon, now that recoil has set up the server for huge games.

And Tiger Knight is free and looks awesome, so whoever is interested in tactics should have it installed. I intend to dive into it when I have an entire free day to get to learn it.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 04 Jun 2017 11:29

Removed For Honor. People might still jump in it now and then for a round or two, but the MP is tactically shallow and I think we've already done pretty much all that could be done in it.

I still urge people who haven't tried it to seek partners to play it with in MP, but do that on a personal basis via its Online thread, or by talking to people on Discord, because it's no longer fit to be a staple of our Saturday games. The MP just doesn't measure up to all the other games we're playing.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 04 Jul 2017 20:39

I replaced Arcana Heart with Under Night, added Rust, and removed Overwatch. The latter is a solid 3/5 game, but nothing to get too excited about, and it's obvious there's not enough enthusiasm for it to allow us to reach a full team in it with any degree of regularity. We've only managed to play 33 minutes with a full team so far, and that was the weekend when the game was free, I believe. Here's the video: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/147632062

Edit: Added also Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2, because there are 3-4 people who are already playing it fairly regularly, and I plan to jump into that too.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Online