default header

[AC] [PC] [VAR] Metal Slug

Moderator: JC Denton

[AC] [PC] [VAR] Metal Slug

Unread postby Saf » 24 Mar 2017 06:38

Would anyone be interested in playing this and the sequels (X and 3 are also on Steam) with me? 1CC of course. Only potential issue is the netcode, but the Steam reviews don't mention much about online stability (or lack thereof).
Saf

Unread postby icycalm » 24 Mar 2017 16:05

I will play it with you if the netcode is decent once I set up scanlines for it.

In general, it is a good idea to have a couple of arcade games on the rotation besides Arcana Heart, to play randomly when we can't get 3-4 players for something more modern. This is a great choice for one of those games, if it works, and a 2-player beat 'em and a shoot 'em up would be two other good choices. We already have a 4-player beat 'em up -- the Capcom D&D games -- but if we have four players we'll probably be playing For Honor or PA or something, so I don't see those getting too much play.

The other good thing about arcade games is that they are so difficult, and take so long to clear, that you can also play them alone when you don't have a partner, and then be better at them the next time you have one, without detracting from the experience because you played a few credits alone. You can also have several partners, and they can play in any combination whenever they happen to be online. And if you end up clearing the game with one partner, you can still keep playing with the other ones to help them clear it too. It's not like a few credits here or there are much of a time investment. So other people should jump in too if they want.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 24 Mar 2017 16:25

What we need to get is the Neo Geo Bundle that includes all three MS games plus Shock Troopers (co-op overhead action) and Twinkle Star Sprites (versus shooting), probably on the same netcode, so probably all of them playable well online: http://store.steampowered.com/bundle/375/

Let me know if anyone finds it a good price. (Not that the default price isn't already good, of course.)
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 24 Mar 2017 16:31

SEGA Mega Drive and Genesis Classics Pack 4 would also be great since it includes Streets of Rage 1 and 2 among a shitload of other great stuff for a pittance: http://store.steampowered.com/sub/7095/

We just need to find if they are playable online and with a good netcode. Since this bundle is so cheap and I am getting it anyway, I will try it soon if someone else gets it too.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 30 Mar 2017 05:32

The Mega Drive games don't seem to have online play, as far as I have been able to determine.

I did get all four Metal Slugs though, so we can try the first one sometime this weekend if you are around, Saf.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Saf » 30 Mar 2017 06:52

Sounds good, busy during the day but I should be free at night or early morning (which translates to around 12PM or 8PM UTC onwards -- my timezone is +11). Daylight savings ends sometime this weekend though so gotta be aware of that too.

I'll pick up the stuff in that Neo Geo bundle at some point as well. FYI the Metal Slug games have scanline and filter options in-game, so I'm assuming the other games do too.

Unfortunately the Sega stuff doesn't have online support. Emulation is always an option. I know Retroarch (multi-platform emulator) has GGPO netplay support, but I have never bothered to look further into it or test it. I might mess about with it in the future if we're looking for more stuff to play as that would give us a huge number of options.
Saf

Return to Online