default header

Games

[XB] [PC] [ONE] [PS4] Metal Wolf Chaos

Moderator: JC Denton

[XB] [PC] [ONE] [PS4] Metal Wolf Chaos

Unread postby icycalm » 10 Jul 2014 04:04

Vintage icycalm:

http://www.gamengai.com/forum/viewtopic ... 136#p12136

I wrote:I bought this on the day of its release, and wrote a review shortly after. It was the first google result for a while, but then I recoded my website and somehow ended up deleting it.

Anyways, it's one of the most fun Xbox games I've played. Great graphics, music, sounds, weapons, stages and enemies, a wacky plot and a great sense of humor pervading everything -- and controls are spot-on, considering it's a 3D game.

Quite short, too, which I consider a plus. Definitely does not overstay its welcome. Back then I gave it 4/5, but I think if I reviewed it again I'd give it full marks.

Then again I didn't actually beat it -- I think I made it to the last stage -- so I guess I'll have to do this before making up my mind this time.

PS. This game has absolutely nothing in common with AC or -- god forbid -- Murakumo.

I still haven't made up my mind on whether it's a 4- or 5-star game, and I still haven't replayed it and beat it. But one day I hope to do so, and maybe rewrite that review -- the first one I ever wrote.
icycalm
Hyperborean

[PC] [ONE] [PS4] Metal Wolf Chaos XD

Unread postby icycalm » 13 Jul 2019 21:48

This is a very special game for me, as I said earlier in this thread, because it was the first game review I wrote and actually published on the Insert Credit forums circa 2004. I was the first person in the world to review the game, at least in English, and Insomnia 1.0, which I built a few months later, hosted that review for some time before I lost it due to a redesign/site reboot. So I am looking forward to playing this port and reviewing the game all over on August 6 when it lands. I am just hoping the 2004 Xbox 1 assets won't look crap at 1080p on 42 inches... If that's what happens... I'll hold off on the game until I have my Japanese Xbox set up again and can re-play my old copy. We'll know soon enough I guess.

In the meantime I am looking forward to the flood of breathless reviews from hipster nerds who weren't even into games in 2005, let alone in Japan and buying From games on day 1 and posting reviews of them on obscure hardcore gaming sites.

https://metalwolfchaos.com/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/8206 ... _Chaos_XD/

General Arcade wrote:The country is in peril as President Michael Wilson defends the nation against a full-scale rebellion led by Vice-President Richard Hawk and the mechanized legions he commands. As the 47th President of the United States, it is your sworn duty to take your country back by any means necessary and end this unjust coup d'etat! Battle in your advanced mech - armed to the teeth - across iconic American landscapes including the Brooklyn Bridge, the Grand Canyon, and the front steps of the White House.

FromSoftware originally released Metal Wolf Chaos in December 2004, appearing exclusively on the original Xbox and only in Japan. The game went on to become somewhat of a legend as it was hard to acquire and even harder to play outside of Japan with most fans experience of the game through YouTube videos and the occasional screenshot. Devolver Digital and FromSoftware have partnered together with developer General Arcade to modernize Metal Wolf Chaos with updates to the game including upgraded visual fidelity, refined controls and gameplay, a new save system, and 4K + 16:9 support for modern displays.

Coming August 6, 2019: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1phfTKWzRlE

Looking at the trailer, I can already see the rough edges and low detail models and environments that the Xbox 1's and SDTV's low res would have hidden. So what I will try is to use scanlines via ReShade combined with a smaller display, even a laptop's display if need be. That might just do the trick, although I suspect a 32-inch CRT capable of 480p plus an OG Xbox will remain the optimal way to experience this game.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Games