default header

Games

The Insomnia 1962-2024 Game of the Year Awards

Moderator: JC Denton

The Insomnia 1962-2024 Game of the Year Awards

Unread postby icycalm » 12 Sep 2014 09:26

Let's do this. I'll throw up a few entries off the top of my head before I go to sleep and fill up the rest (or at any rate as many of them as I can) when I wake up. Feel free to suggest titles for the years I haven't covered, or alternatives for the years I have (as well as runner-ups, if you can think of any, max two per year).

Feature moved to its own custom page on the main site: https://culture.vg/reviews/awards/game-of-the-year.html
Last edited by icycalm on 04 Mar 2020 04:29, edited 19 times in total.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 12 Sep 2014 11:20

lol no idea how I'am going to fill up the '60s and the 70's. I've played some games from that era, but since I was born in '78, much later than release, and without being particularly taken with them. The history of the artform begins with Defender of the Crown with me (as I will explain in my review of the game).
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 12 Sep 2014 17:16

I am really drawing a blank for 2012. I just haven't played enough games from that year to make a decent call, and the only ones I can think of that sound promising enough to go on such a list are Far Cry 3 and the XCOM remake, but I haven't played either of them. Any other ideas?
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 12 Sep 2014 18:13

Games in consideration for the list (means I haven't yet played them, or haven't played them enough, or simply don't know enough about them to even make an educated guess):

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl, Anno 1602, Crusader Kings, Assassin's Creed, Mirror's Edge, Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines, The Last Express, Max Payne 2, Galactic Civilizations, Marathon, Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn, Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura, Fallout, Alan Wake, Wasteland, Wasteland 2, Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth, Wolfenstein: The New Order, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, Hitman: Codename 47, Thief: The Dark Project, Red Seeds Profile, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Psycho Break, Hearts of Iron, Homeworld, The Last of Us, Ico, Wanda to Kyozou, Ace Combat series (especially the ones from the 360 version onwards), Half-Life 2, Syndicate, Assassin's Creed Unity, Ryuu ga Gotoku series, Mass Effect, Bulletstorm, Total War series (apart from the first, which I played and didn't like, but maybe they improved), Deus Ex: Human Revolution, God Hand
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ksevcov » 12 Sep 2014 18:33

Biohazard 6 for 2012.

Metal Gear Solid 3 for 2004.
ksevcov

Unread postby icycalm » 12 Sep 2014 18:41

I put up Bioahazard 6. It certainly sounds more promising than my two alternatives, and it will also be fun to see /v/'s reaction when the list gets linked there. At any rate, I just don't seem to have any other options for that year.

As for MGS3, I put it in the to-play list. Basically, a game I haven't played will only go on the list if there are empty spots. If a game has to knock out something on the list in order to go in it (as MGS3), it will go on my to-play list.

Any thoughts on extra titles for 2013, 2011 and 2009?

As soon as the list is complete, it's going on the frontpage. Hopefully today.

For games before 1985 I will consider the list complete even without runner-ups for the time being.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 12 Sep 2014 18:46

Wow, three Biohazard games on the list (and at the top spots, no less), and I would have added Veronica too if the 2000 spots were not locked down by three even better masterpieces already.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 12 Sep 2014 18:50

Also feel free to dump lists of games for my consideration in the same format as I used in this post: http://culture.vg/forum/topic?p=23816#p23816
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 12 Sep 2014 19:52

I am torn between OutRun and Bubble Bobble as the runner-ups for 1986. For now I'll leave Bubble Bobble. The other two games on that year are immovable, so one of these two will have to go.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Some guy » 12 Sep 2014 20:10

Street Fighter II: The World Warrior, Halo: Combat Evolved, Breakout, Pitfall!, Spartan X, Tetris, Virtua Fighter, Half-Life, 2 Spicy, Gunslinger Stratos, Colossal Cave Adventure
Some guy

Unread postby icycalm » 12 Sep 2014 20:19

I can give you some answers on some of these already.

Adventure is already on there.

Virtua Fighter. No 3D fighters on the list. Wait for my Power Stone review to understand why. (And if any such game were to go on the list, it would be Power Stone, but 1999 is pretty much locked down already.)

No way Half-Life. Not in a million years.

Same with Tetris. Again, wait for my reviews.

Halo: Combat Evolved. It's a tough fight between it and MGS2. The other two games on that year are immovable. That's simply the best year in the history of the artform. So I'll think about Halo some more. It's certainly number 4 for that year at any rate. The question is if it should be number 3 instead.

You are right about SF2. It could knock out either Sonic or Bare Knuckle. I'll think about it some more.

2 Spicy I would love to play :(

Gunslinger Stratos seriously? Post some impressions on its thread!

Breakout, Pitfall and Spartan X I know nothing about. But I do love Arkanoid, so we'll see.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Some guy » 12 Sep 2014 20:36

My mistake, I didn't know that Colossal Cave Adventure is the same game as Adventure. I haven't actually played Gunslinger Stratos, it just looks very impressive and I thought it might be something you'd consider.
Some guy

Unread postby icycalm » 12 Sep 2014 20:40

Oh okay, yeah, you are right, it's the only gun shooter that has a chance to be up there because it's not on rails. Gotta take a trip to Tokyo and try it and 2 Spicy at some point.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 12 Sep 2014 20:43

Yep, replaced MGS2 with Halo (which is anyway much higher than it on my Top 100 list) and Bare Knuckle with SF2. It's a brutal fight up there, and history takes no prisoners.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 12 Sep 2014 21:29

Replaced Bubble Bobble with OutRun.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 12 Sep 2014 21:49

Done with the first rough pass. It's mostly fine-tuning from now on.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Gaius » 13 Sep 2014 07:26

This page lists a lot of the prominent older arcade games:

http://www.arcade-museum.com/TOP100.php

[Post edited to preserve my sanity. -icy]
Gaius

Unread postby icycalm » 13 Sep 2014 13:40

lol Portal. Do you even read the site at all?

Same with Syndicate. There is a review on this site of the game you are referring to, but I am obviously referring to the original for christsake.

The vast majority of your suggestions are garbage. You are just throwing at me all the most hyped games of each year, basically. But simply the fact that you would rate Portal above Crysis means you have no business posting in a thread like this.

I don't think I can reply at length to your post. I get a headache just looking at it.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 13 Sep 2014 13:44

Titanfall for best game of 2014? After a three-star review on the frontpage?

In previous times I would have banned you, but I am trying to be more lenient now because I want to foster a large gaming community. But seriously, if you try playing with me again I'll fucking delete your stupid account you goddamn fucking moron!
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 13 Sep 2014 13:49

I edited out his post because it is an insult to what I am trying to achieve here. I am going to assume he is a well-meaning imbecile and keep him around as a sort of village idiot. That is the only way I can compromise with the fact that I am not banning him. But stay away from critical threads and from any kind of discussion from now on, if you don't want to lose your account. The next time you try to pull this sort of stunt, I will deactivate your account.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby CTF » 13 Sep 2014 14:13

How come Batman: Arkham Asylum is a runner-up for 2009 if there is a two-star review of it on this site?
CTF

Unread postby icycalm » 13 Sep 2014 18:07

Find the Arkham Asylum thread and read it. The answer is in there.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 14 Sep 2014 06:19

Replaced Ground Zeroes with the new Wolfenstein. Also considering replacing either Arkham Asylum or Bayonetta with Assassin's Creed II. I played a bit of the first two, but not at all the last one, so I can't make that call with any degree of confidence, so for now I am leaving things as they are.

Also replaced Left 4 Dead with Senjou no Valkyria.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Amor fati » 14 Sep 2014 10:52

Batman: Arkham Asylum is superior to Assassin's Creed II, although I would suggest Uncharted 2: Among Thieves as a better choice than either of those as a runner-up for 2009.
Amor fati

Unread postby icycalm » 14 Sep 2014 17:27

I've heard good things about the Uncharted games, but what makes me dubious about your choice is that, from what I understand, these are standard third-person shooters, whereas Arkham Asylum is the superhero genre reinvented in three dimensions, and Assassin's Creed is a ground-breaking parkour/free-exploration or whatever action game. That doesn't mean that they are better than Uncharted in EXECUTION too. It could very well be that they are very ambitious games that do not completely deliver on those ambitions, and Uncharted 2 could still be better than them; but without having played them myself I can't make that call, so for the time being I will go with what I see as the safer option, and leave Arkham Asylum up there.

Except if you are willing to elaborate a little on what makes Uncharted, and especially 2, so good.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Next

Return to Games