default header

Hardware

High-definition display calibration

Moderator: JC Denton

High-definition display calibration

Unread postby El Chaos » 15 Jun 2014 21:04

I tried using this with my Xbox 360 S, the AVS HD 709 patterns:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-displ ... ation.html

Just setting the 360 to output YCbCr709 and using the Basic Settings videos gave me awesome results when calibrating contrast, brightness and sharpness, however when following their instructions for calibrating color saturation and tint (my TV has a blue mode), the resulting image looks kinda weird, the color temperature looks overly "warm" when I compare it to, say, my Samsung Galaxy tablet, kinda ironic since my TV is also a Samsung (UN32D5500). Perhaps it has to do with the patterns being developed specifically for calibrating displays to watch movies and TV instead of videogames?

I decided to use the Miscellaneous > Additional > Color Steps video to get the highest color saturation at level 235 (in my case the first color to get there is blue) while keeping tint on 0 and go with that, the picture looks very good to me this way. Then I configured the 360 to output RGB again because that's the color space for games according to the TV when I set the 360's HDMI color space mode to "Source", and the TV goes blank for a moment when changing color spaces or resolutions/video modes while on the same source, which is annoying.

Does anyone know of tools like these that are optimized for gaming? Or is it just the same for whatever you want to watch on a hi-def display?
El Chaos
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby El Chaos » 14 Sep 2017 19:28

One note from this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsTHtQ8hI1U

I didn't realize that the color space setting changed the tint, after switching it from native to auto and running the flashing color bars test again, the tint values at 50/50 matched perfectly, and it also clearly separates the different values of the color bars in Guilty Gear Xrd's test pattern (also had to set temperature to warm 1 to get white that's neither too blue-ish nor too red-ish):

GGXrd_APL.png

GGXrd_color.png

GGXrd_overscan.png
El Chaos
Insomnia Staff

Return to Hardware