default header

Cosmic War

Cosmic War artwork

Moderator: JC Denton

Cosmic War artwork

Unread postby icycalm » 29 Jan 2015 22:20

So I am designing a game based on PA called "Cosmic War", and an associated site, and I'll need graphics work for it, ronan. Are you up for this? More details here:

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/cosm ... -vg.67600/

If you are in, the first order of business is the Cosmic War logo. You can take inspiration from the Clan Wars logo, seen here: http://exodusesports.com/tournament/clan-wars/ (click on the image for larger, light version).

Let me know if you can do something.
Last edited by icycalm on 01 Jan 2018 21:32, edited 1 time in total.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ronan » 30 Jan 2015 00:30

I will give it a try this weekend. Do you have some requirements? For example, looking like an escutcheon, or featuring specific units from the game?
ronan
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 30 Jan 2015 00:44

How about a quick one based on Uber images, and then a unique one sometime in the next few weeks?

PA_Legonis_Machina_Symbol.jpg

Remove all the text, and add a COSMIC WAR text in white font above the "universe" sphere (in the black-colored region under the eagle's head). Shouldn't take more than a few minutes, and will serve us fine for war #1 this weekend.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ronan » 30 Jan 2015 02:03

The first one is black and white, and the others have a transparent background.

Cosmic War.png

Cosmic War black.png

Cosmic War grey.png

Cosmic War white.png

Cosmic War red.png

Cosmic War blue.png
ronan
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 30 Jan 2015 02:11

I'll go with the white for now, thank you.

If you are around during the weekend, maybe you can help me put together the galaxy image like this? http://culture.vg/forum/topic?p=25610#p25610

Otherwise I am sure that gmase or someone else will be able to help me do it.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 30 Jan 2015 04:23

If you are up for it, the first steps in creating the galactic map can be made right now.

The map is this:

The first thing we need is a hex grid overlayed on it.

I would like to use the same sort of color and line thickness as in this map:

(Need to enlarge the image to see the lines clearly.)

This galaxy will feature 12 systems, so we want 12 hexes in all, arranged in symmetrical fashion, and some space on the bottom left for the legend. And at the top we want the name of the galaxy, Ground Zero.

Every hex should have a little dot in it representing a star/system, similar to the dots used in the example image below (or even identical to them, if you can lift them off the image):

stmRGeE.jpg

Or maybe you can just place the 12 dots in a symmetrical fashion, and forget about the hexes?

A rough first attempt would help us decide exactly what we want to do.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 30 Jan 2015 05:00

I have the data for the legend too now. It should look exactly the same as the example legend in the image above, only with the following 4 factions, plus the neutral star systems:

LEGONIS MACHINA CONTROL
FOUNDATION CONTROL
SYNCHRONOUS CONTROL
REVENANT CONTROL
NEUTRAL STAR SYSTEM

And the colors will be red, dark blue, white and yellow respectively, with the following hex values:

Red: 210,50,44
Dark blue: 59,54,182
White: 200,200,200
Yellow: 219,217,37

Also, in the example legend, the dots and the colors are not centered correctly, so perhaps you could fix this, or just redo it?

And then I should have the names of the systems by Saturday at the latest, and that should be about all that needs to be done for the initial state of the first map.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ronan » 30 Jan 2015 14:53

I will probably not be able to work on it before Saturday evening. Is that fine?
ronan
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 30 Jan 2015 16:50

Sure, no problem. I'll be online checking the forum now and then, so that when you give me something I can give you immediate feedback and we can get the first version of the map done so we can start playing. By then I will also have all the names of the systems, so that you'll have all the necessary details to finalize the design.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ronan » 01 Feb 2015 01:31

Sorry, I fell asleep when I put my son to sleep... I am now working on it, and will be updating the image below until you reply.

galaxy map.png
ronan
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 01 Feb 2015 01:47

We haven't made any progress with the system selection anyway, so we are not going to be ready for tomorrow either way. I'll just give you some feedback now, and then we can keep working on this in the next few days, little by little. After you've done the first map, and maybe the first update for the first turn, maybe you can teach someone who plays with us how to update it, so that we won't need to bother you all the time.

The four teams will start at the four systems that are furthest apart from each other, so the top and bottom ones on each of the two "hexahedrons", or whatever they are. That's where the leaders will be, and each leader should be represented by a star in his team's color (the same or a similar star to that used in one of the example maps with the detailed legend above).

Stick also the name of the system, Ground Zero, at the top of the map, and the legend, probably at the bottom right, where there's more space, and we can call it a night for today I think. It's a good start.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 01 Feb 2015 01:56

Then, the four systems around the square in the middle are special systems, that give whoever holds them 1 commander per turn. So perhaps we could symbolize this with a little dotted circle around each star. And then in the legend you can have that little dotted circle (and I guess with a star inside it?) with the description "+1 COMM/TURN".
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ronan » 01 Feb 2015 02:58

Still in progress, but I need some sleep now. I will work on it later, as you porposed. (By the way, the star positions changed because I deleted my master file by accident.)

Ground Zero.png
ronan
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 01 Feb 2015 03:33

Some changes for when you get back on this.

-The center star of the left hexahedron (or whatever it is) is quite off-center. If you could move it towards the right, the shape would look better.

-Maybe try another font? I'll see if I can get jeff to get the PA font from the modders. That would be the best option.

-The colors seem off. I can't see the white and yellow for example. Are you sure these are the values I gave you?

-We won't be using "homeworlds", so you can remove that from the legend.

-I'd like to see the spaces removed from "+1 COMMANDER/TURN" before and after the slash. Also, try changing it to "+1 COMM/TURN SYSTEM". It's more descriptive this way. Finally, we need a way to differentiate this symbol from that of the neutral star systems that don't give bonus commanders. Any ideas?

It's shaping up great, I think. If we can get the official font in there, it will be very professional-looking and believable.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 01 Feb 2015 15:05

Stuart98 sent jeff the fonts, and I've just forwarded them via email to you, ronan. There seem to be two or more versions, so read jeff's email and use the newer one.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ronan » 02 Feb 2015 00:45

Got them. I have used the Sansation font, since it seems the most consistent with Galactic War. Here is the current result. I still have to work on the legend. Maybe with colored ellipses around the systems like in Galactic War.

Ground Zero.png
ronan
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 02 Feb 2015 02:20

Well, we are almost there. Is the Ground Zero centered on the image?

I think all I need to do is give you the system names now. It's going to take me a day or two to do so. I am not sure what you mean about ellipses...
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 02 Feb 2015 02:21

Also, maybe it would look better if we capitalized the first letter of "Neutral" and "Commander" in the legend.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ronan » 07 Feb 2015 17:06

A bit late because I have been busy travelling and working, but here it is. I have already prepared an effect for the +1 systems with colors.

Ground Zero.png

I have also attached the GIMP file just in case.
Attachments
Ground Zero.zip
(1.16 MiB) Downloaded 1291 times
ronan
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby gmase » 07 Feb 2015 17:54

Nice! And everything is on it's layer so we can reuse it :)
gmase

Unread postby ronan » 07 Feb 2015 18:37

It is great that you can use GIMP, gmase, because I will not always be available to update the map after each turn. If you have any questions or requests, let me know.

One more thing: I guess that you may need the Sansation fonts to display the text correctly, so I have attached all the fonts that icy sent me previously.
Attachments
Galactic War fonts.zip
(593.49 KiB) Downloaded 1259 times
pa fonts.zip
(2.25 MiB) Downloaded 1206 times
ronan
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 08 Feb 2015 22:03

It looks awesome. And yeah, the project has stalled mainly because I am travelling now and have little time to oversee it, plus spotty internet connections. Maybe we can put it on hold for a couple of weeks until I settle down somewhere? I haven't even fired up a game in over a week.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby gmase » 13 Feb 2015 18:01

Thanks Ronan! Yeah I'll be able to update the map with what you have sent. Now let's see if icy gets back so we can start the war for the universe :)
gmase

Return to Cosmic War