default header

Theory

How Consoles Went From Awesome To Necessary Evil

Moderator: JC Denton

Unread postby icycalm » 19 Nov 2018 23:21

Upcoming VGCULTURE essay. I just wrote half of it, and will be finishing it likely tomorrow and posting it on Patreon.

Try to guess what I will say, if you want, and then see how close you came after.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby earthboundtrev » 20 Nov 2018 23:03

I'm assuming the article will be about how the number of games exclusive to consoles has dropped dramatically over the years. Before there were so many console exclusives it made sense to own multiple platforms to play all the games, but now almost everything is ported to PC, and usually runs best on PC as well. The only games that don't get eventual PC ports these days are the ones developed or published by Sony and Nintendo. So, in order to play Marvel's Spider-man, the Uncharted series, and the upcoming Ghost of Tsushima you'll need a PS4. The hardware architecture of the PS4 is much more similar to PCs compared to Sony's older consoles, and it wouldn't take that much to port their games to PC from what I understand because of it. However, Sony keeps their games exclusive to keep interest in their console.
earthboundtrev

Unread postby icycalm » 01 Dec 2018 05:14

You got a lot right, trev, but one salient point you missed is that it's not just about the number of exclusives, but above all about their type. Have a read, for a thorough understanding of the topic.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/22813251

icycalm wrote:Once the console had nothing to offer but its cheaper price, it became a commodity with no mystique and no enthusiasm for the player associated with it at all.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Theory