Moderator: JC Denton

[360] [PC] Splinter Cell: Conviction

Unread postby icycalm » 31 May 2009 16:50

icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby El Chaos » 27 Jul 2009 22:10

Here is a, let's say, "developer's description" of the game's new features:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skjEF5T6dfI

Maybe it's getting a little bit too movie-like in its pursuit of attracting new players, but still looks really fun.
El Chaos
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby El Chaos » 07 Nov 2009 21:14

New developer walkthrough here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWj9b0MgLbg
El Chaos
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 09 Jan 2010 23:38

brandon parker wrote:Did you hear about the new new Splinter Cell? Let me tell you about the new new Splinter Cell. First they had the old new Splinter Cell. It looked to take place mostly in the day light and you had to run from the law, hide in crowds, wedge chairs under doors and Sam, having gone undercover and off the grid for whatever awesome rogue operation he was working was looking appropriately disheveled and badass. It’s news to me but apparently a lot people had a big problem with that, so now they came out with the new new Splinter Cell, which is dark and looks to play just like the old ones, only faster paced and taking place on an NSA Casual Friday.

It doesn’t end there, you’ll want to look at this, but I caution you to prepare yourself:

“It’s been a long time between missions, but Sam Fisher is back – and thankfully sans-hobo beard. Revealed officially at Microsoft’s E3 2009 press conference and later replayed at Ubisoft’s, Splinter Cell: Conviction looks like the fresh direction the series desperately needed” - IGN

“What was initially a game about a hobo with a manpurse wandering the mean streets of Washington, D.C. has now become a slick, focused look at what happens when an über-badass like Sam Fisher directs himself towards someone foolish enough to kill his daughter.” - 1up

“The 100% more grizzled adventures of super spy/hobo Sam Fisher will continue this calendar year” - Kotaku

“GameSpot and 1UP both have Splinter Cell: Conviction first looks, checking out what at first glance looks like the Sam Fisher hobo sim.” - Shacknews

“Hobo Sam Fisher is no more; the vagabond that wandered the last build of Splinter Cell: Conviction has been sent to the barbers for a trim and a good old scrub, sent back into the world of espionage wearing a tight-fitting polo and sporting some grey-flecked five o’clock shadow.”
- IGN Uk

“First things first: far as I know, the Sam Fisher we saw in the early concept footage — you know, the one who more closely resembled a hobo than a special agent — is nowhere to be found in Conviction” - Destructoid

“Second, Sam Fisher no longer looks like an emo hobo. Maybe — just maybe — he’s an emo hobo in disguise, walking amongst the world’s non-transients, hiding his penchant for My Chemical Romance and malt liquor behind his clean shaven face. We’re on to you, Fisher.” - Joystiq

Sorry about that last one. God knows we all could have done without it, but this is serious now. It’s so obvious, isn’t it? I’ve uncovered, within the so called “videogame journalism industry,” a sinister and far-reaching conspiracy against Sam Fisher’s beard. That’s the only explanation. One guy dissatisfied with Mr. Sam Fisher’s hair style is one thing, but we’ve got pretty much every single “major” game news website here talking the same line about “say goodbye to hobo Sam Fisher!” and “THIS AINT YOUR DADDY’S SPLINTER CELL!” before going on to talk about how this “radical new direction” is better than the old “radical new direction” because it’s closer to the even older “well trodden direction.” It’s almost as if one guy is writing every article on the Internet! And he works for Ubisoft!

I’m baffled as to what the reviews will be like. Do you think maybe “A refreshing new take that gives the Splinter Cell® franchise just the boost it needed towards a new, yet still familiar direction — 9/10!” or “The classic yet stagnant series recieves an exciting new direction© that revitalizes the franchise — 9.2/10!”? I feel it could still really go either way at this point.

Personally I won’t stop until I’ve followed every strand in this vast and weblike conspiracy to its source. I must uncover the beard’s secrets, I must know what the big fucking deal with it was. And the emo thing, I’ve thought real hard about it and I don’t even know what they mean by it, unless I missed a screenshot where Sam Fisher had eyeliner on somewhere.

Is it possible that there’s a really simple explanation behind all of this? It being that the sight of a geniune man or even a videogame facsimile of one only confuses and frightens the videogame player and sends them into a panicked state of shock? I don’t even want to know what they’re saying about Max Payne now. Let me ask you this: Was Serpico a hobo? The answer is fuck no, he was a god damn hero and fuck you, you’re the hobo.

http://www.actionbutton.net/?p=585
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to News