default header

News

[WII] [360] [PS3] Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Moderator: JC Denton

[WII] [360] [PS3] Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Unread postby OneOpossumGame » 04 Feb 2010 21:48

Will be a download of course, since the cool thing to do in the game industry right now is to sell manufactured nostalgia in $10 bundles.

Site here: http://www.sega.com/sonic4/us/

My expectations couldn't be much lower, but I'll probably catch myself downloading it anyway, because it's Sonic, and I'm a sucker.
I totally judge books by their cover. All the time. It's one of my values.
OneOpossumGame

Unread postby Nybble » 04 Feb 2010 22:25

Some more info here from their Brand Manager:

For all intents and purposes, the games are designed to be identical. There are a few differences per what each console can output visually: Wii will be at 480p, while the XBLA and PSN versions will run at 1080p. However, for certain areas of the game, the Wii will be able to use motion control, and the PS3 will be able to use the Sixaxis.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/ ... e=previews

I will definitely be buying the PSN version. I can't imagine it being too intensive, so it should be true 1080p, instead of stretched. (Although if it is stretched, am I correct in thinking that its better to get the 480p Wii version, even on a 1080p TV? Or is there no difference?)

I'm glad they are putting this game out, especially because they still intend to put out more of their awful modern Sonic games.

KB: Sonic as a brand is definitely not moving away from our packaged console versions.
Nybble

Unread postby austere » 05 Feb 2010 01:44

Note the hidden fourth platform which this game is meant to be out for. Perhaps they plan to release it on the DS/PSP later than the console version, thus holding off the announcement in order not to exhaust the effects of the hype? Another quote from the marketer from Nybble's link:

GS: As far as gameplay goes, should we expect classic old-school Sonic 2D mechanics or something new added into the mix?

KB: All the Sonic favorites [are] here for sure! Spin dash, power sneakers, etc. But you will also see the homing attack added, and in true Sonic fashion, you can compete with your friends for the fastest level times through leaderboards.

I can see why you may require a homing attack in a defective 3D platformer -- but since you're restricted to a plane in Sonic 4, it would make the game too easy. I guess children with 47 chromosomes need to play the game too.
austere

Unread postby Choking » 05 Feb 2010 02:34

GS: The subtitle is Episode 1. Does this mean it's episodic content?

KB: As mentioned, I think the best way to view it is as a first part in a much larger adventure. When Sega released Sonic 3, ultimately it was the part 1 of a story that saw its conclusion in Sonic & Knuckles. In that same spirit, Sonic the Hedgehog 4 is a bigger story, and this is that first chapter. I think it's also safe to say that by the end of the episode one, fans will be very excited to see what's in store for episode two!

Does anybody even know what happened story-wise in those first four Sonic 2D platformers? Anybody?
Choking

Unread postby icycalm » 05 Feb 2010 14:18

KarlPopper wrote:I can see why you may require a homing attack in a defective 3D platformer -- but since you're restricted to a plane in Sonic 4, it would make the game too easy. I guess children with 47 chromosomes need to play the game too.

Dude, it's just a fucking homing attack. We know nothing about it. Drop the fucking faux-jaded schtick -- you are embarrasing me.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Mathis » 05 Feb 2010 15:07

Choking wrote:Does anybody even know what happened story-wise in those first four Sonic 2D platformers? Anybody?

[Raises hand.]

KarlPopper wrote:I can see why you may require a homing attack in a defective 3D platformer -- but since you're restricted to a plane in Sonic 4, it would make the game too easy. I guess children with 47 chromosomes need to play the game too.

What if the homing attack alleviates much of the "hitting-a-stationary-enemy-at-full-speed" bullshit of old, and, as in the defective 3-D platformers I played, you are able to use the attack near the ground to get a running start when you land from a jump?

So, if you could destroy badniks on the run, and in order to do that you had to run and jump, quickly press "jump" again to home in and destroy the badnik, and then hit the button one last time when you are near the ground for a sudden burst of speed that allows you to run or roll as you land, well, I would appreciate an addition like that very much. Or, what if you can influence the direction of the attack slightly, and can destroy a badnik and hit the ground running with one or two or presses of "jump" and a little manipulation of the directional buttons?

You get my point. A homing attack can be a good thing.

Though, if the homing attack indeed works like that, will there be much need for rings at all anymore, since sudden collisions will be largely avoidable?

Either way, I'm probably going to be buying it.
Last edited by Mathis on 05 Feb 2010 19:59, edited 1 time in total.
Mathis

Unread postby El Chaos » 05 Feb 2010 16:17

Official Japanese site here (empty for the time being): http://sonic.sega.jp/SonicTheHedgehog4/

I can think of ways to make the homing attack useful in regards to stage layout and navigation, something like Buster's wall cling, but unless they also make the enemies more dangerous I don't think it'll be a good enough payoff. Notice that the homing attack was also featured in Sonic Advance 2, as well as a non-offensive move for gaining speed when in mid-air called "jump dash" (http://www.theghz.com/sonic/advance2/advance2.html).

I didn't have any problems with the so-called "hitting-an-enemy-at-full-speed" bullshit of old, since you could always curl into a rolling attack by pressing down on the d-pad, not to mention Sonic 3's and Sonic and Knuckles' W spin attack which extended Sonic's attack radius.
El Chaos
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby Mathis » 05 Feb 2010 17:10

Of course, I don't think it should be all about homing attack-chaining all the way through, as I much like the first Sonic and the sometimes slower, more skillful platforming that is required in order to complete it. Many people I know who blow through the later Sonic games can't beat the first one, where you have to earn your momentum. I was thinking of the possibility of having limitations on the homing attack as well. Maybe you may only use it once you're at a certain speed, or it could be used a power-up before a set-piece that has a high rate of scrolling, requiring good reflexes and smart use of the homing feature -- itself playing off of interesting, gimmicky level design -- something that exploits the mechanics, resulting in you having fun, hopefully, and being challenged.

Make the homing attack less useful somehow (but not useless), or give us enemies like we got in Ninja Gaiden Black, of all games, which would stab you in mid-air if you used your aerial homing attack. Make the badniks draw you in when you use the attack and take all your rings away if you touch them. There were enemies like that red crab thing that bashed you with its piston-like claw in Sonic 2's Metropolis Zone, even if you curled into a ball (at full speed!), as well as exploding mechanical starfish that could not be touched unless you were invincible. So yeah, you did hit stuff when you ran and pressed down sometimes -- even spikes sticking from walls. And there were levels in Sonic 2 like Sky Chase Zone, where excessive spin-dashing resulted in death, because you were riding on top of a bi-plane, so you had to move with extra care (and wouldn't it be cool to do a homing chain on airborne enemies to stay alive during certain parts of these types of sky levels?); and two games later you had to ride a conveyor belt while electricity coursed through the floor, walls and ceiling, and you had to run, tip-toe, and jump to survive. All throughout the games you have boss encounters where you're confined with Eggman's latest contraption, such as a huge laser firing at you from above, your mechanical double, etc.

So I know the gimmicky obstacle courses, and I like it when they mesh well with the game's mechanics. Bring them on. I think the speed aspect could be more refined with the proper implementation of a homing mechanic, and could usher in even more unique -- and ideally just as interesting -- levels. I don't think the addition of a homing attack necessarily decreases the challenge and adds pointless complexity either, but I'll have to get back to you on this case -- after I play the game.
Mathis

Unread postby icycalm » 05 Feb 2010 21:18

Your use of the term "gimmicky" in the above post (two instances) is wrong. If I remove it from the first instance then the sentence makes sense. But the second instance has to be completely rewritten to make any kind of sense whatosever.

Mathis wrote:Maybe you may only use it once you're at a certain speed, or it could be used a power-up before a set-piece that has a high rate of scrolling, requiring good reflexes and smart use of the homing feature -- itself playing off of interesting, gimmicky level design --

Mathis wrote:So I know the gimmicky obstacle courses, and I like it when they mesh well with the game's mechanics.

Do not try to give me some retarded definition of gimmick. Gimmick = bad, superfluous, worthless, etc. End of story.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Nybble » 16 Feb 2010 23:43

Nybble

Unread postby JoshF » 17 Feb 2010 00:19

JoshF

Unread postby faceplant » 17 Feb 2010 00:47

Yeah, it's pretty safe to assume the "leaked" footage is another marketing tactic.

Physics look pretty weird. At 0:54 Sonic appears to be falling without any real acceleration. At 1:17 he's standing in place on the side of a hill. Hopefully these are just bugs that need to be ironed out.
faceplant

Unread postby Mathis » 29 Mar 2010 19:46

Sonic 4: Episode 1 soundtrack:

http://soundcloud.com/bigthecat
Mathis

Unread postby zinger » 30 Mar 2010 11:14

Damn that's lame, gimmicky, shit! Did they really think they could revitalize the Sonic music atmosphere by just sampling the signature snare drum and back it up with some random generic funfair tunes?

This is who should have gotten the job:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zqf6Fdtau8
zinger

Unread postby El Chaos » 01 Apr 2010 04:44

El Chaos
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby Mathis » 22 May 2010 07:59

The game has been delayed until the last quarter of 2010.

http://blogs.sega.com/sonic/2010/05/20/ ... ewsupdate/

SEGA is incredibly happy at the overwhelmingly positive response to Sonic The Hedgehog™ 4 Episode I from both press and fans around the world, and wants to ensure that we’re delivering the best Sonic experience possible.

While that quote stinks of bullshit to me, I appreciate the fact that they're taking the time to improve the game. That's more than most do these days.
Scratch.
Mathis

Return to News