News

[PC] [360] [PS3] Alice: Madness Returns

Moderator: JC Denton

[PC] [360] [PS3] Alice: Madness Returns

Unread postby SquarePeg » 16 Feb 2011 03:59

Official website

McGee's website

Compilation of screenshots and concept art

There are a couple screenshots used in the Tokyo showcase featuring the mad hatter and Cheshire cat that I've been unable to find.

You can see that unlike the first game we'll get to see London and the fantasy world won't always be dark and warped. Still no sign of the twisty interior environments that worked so well in the first game.

Three trailers from EA as well as a 3 minute presentation from the EA Tokyo showcase

In the showcase American says there would only be four weapons in this game as there were in the first one, so hopefully they'll straighten out the balance between them a little better than in the first game where it felt like they'd tried use the Doom model of weapon balance and then forgot that Doom didn't always give you all the ammo you wanted for your shiniest new gun. Always felt like a wasted opportunity to me.

Weapons are now also upgradeable and it sounds as if some more of the magic will be brought into ordinary combat like "floating with Alice’s dress, shrinking, or growing to towering sizes in order to crush enemies".

General Interview with American McGee by Eurogamer
Not much meat on the game but most of it is on the second page.

Interview about the game with McGee by MSNBC

American McGee wrote:Gaming itself is and can be an art, absolutely; I feel people should recognize it as such. But, as with art there are also limits, where someone takes a crap in a corner and calls it art ... OK it is ... but there are different kinds of art.

Okay that made me chuckle. Other than that the interview fills me with a small amount of dread that he might screw up in the process of trying to make something “meaningful”. On another note it does kind of bug me how people go on about how original the visual direction is: it's a fun style that has allowed the original game's graphics to age rather gracefully but the whole twisted fantasy shtick is hardly rare.
SquarePeg

Unread postby icycalm » 16 Feb 2011 04:49

There need to be spaces between the system names in the thread's title. I had to add them in for this thread, wasting 20 seconds of my day. I have banned other people for doing this to me. I will ban you too the next time you do it.

Apart from that, what is the logic behind the order of the systems in your title? I trust that there is a logic?
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby SquarePeg » 16 Feb 2011 12:00

Apologies for leaving the spaces out. The order of the systems is alphanumeric ascending. Should I have kept the two consoles together and put PC last?

Preview of the game which says a few things of interest
The city of London itself as the ‘real world’ acts as a hub

“We drew inspiration for combat from Zelda, but not the world layout,” explains McGee. “On the contrary, Alice is a fairly linear, narrative-driven experience – a setup we think maximises the dramatic power of the story we’re telling. Regardless, there is a tremendous amount of variety as you move through the world – no two domains are alike – and each domain brings with it a unique set of characters and gameplay mechanics. We even have what we’re calling “domain-specific game mechanics” – areas where expectations about the game’s presentations are completely twisted. Variety is really at the core of the Madness Returns experience.”
SquarePeg

Unread postby icycalm » 16 Feb 2011 16:14

I banned him. Such behavior is simply unacceptable. "Alphanumeric", lol. Has the retard even LOOKED at this forum at all? Are the systems IN ANY OTHER THREAD in "alphanumeric" order? So now I have to chit-chat with the insufferable fucker, and then edit his post again, and edit the link on the frontpage, and finally set aside a block of time in my day to deal with fucking "SquarePeg" for christsake. And while banning him I also noticed his "interests" in his forum profile, which provided me with yet more reason to ban him:

Interests: Video games, war games, puzzles and RPGs (all three kinds)

"All three kinds" of RPGs, lol. We don't even HAVE RPGs, and he likes "all three kinds of them".

Good riddance, I say.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to News