default header

Theory

Medium, Shmedium

Moderator: JC Denton

Medium, Shmedium

Unread postby icycalm » 22 Dec 2008 00:35

Saving this here, because I really need to get around to explaining it at some point:

icycalm wrote:What people don't get is that videogames are NOT a new "medium". They are something entirely different.

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?sh ... try5691454

Medium is a word to describe almost everything: books, phones, paintings, fax, photography, theatre, television, film, computers and games. Every piece of information that is transported is using a medium, and videogames transport digital data. It is more interactive than film, but that is inherent to digital media. Just another fase [sic] in the development of media.

This guy, for example. Completely random, incoherent statements.

The crucial point is that you can read books, watch movies, listen to music, etc, FROM INSIDE A GAME, whereas the reverse is not true. So right there you know there's got to be something that differentiates games from the "other" "media" -- that sets games apart (and above) from them. And then when I see people like Brandon Sheffield repeat the "new media" mantra over and over, with statements like "games are regarded with hostility, just as other media where when young, something which will happen again with whatever new media come up", I feel like screaming at the top of my lungs WHAT OTHER MEDIA MIGHT COME UP FOR FUCK'S SAKE?

The answer, of course, would be that no one knows, because if we knew we'd have already invented them. A naive answer, proceeding directly from the mistake of regarding games as a medium instead of as simulation.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Theory