default header

Theory

Wherein no loss can occur, neither can change

Moderator: JC Denton

Wherein no loss can occur, neither can change

Unread postby icycalm » 05 Feb 2009 04:44

http://www.edge-online.com/blogs/the‭-‬inevitability-of‭-‬change

The Inevitability of Change

The final moments as you transition out of one thing and into the unknown future are as commonplace as any that came prior, and that strikes me as very poignant. A hurled ball bounces around erratically, but it always calms down before coming to rest.

I recently finished an amazing novel called The Shipping News. I was so reluctant to read the last sliver of pages because we were at no particular place in the story, just another handful of routine days for the characters, and the book was clearly going to roll to a halt. I didn’t want it to be over.

Real life is more like that. Change is fundamental to the human condition. Much of The Hero’s Journey, the late American mythology professor Joseph Campbell’s theory regarding the commonality of major myths from very different cultural origins, can be seen as a metaphor for change leaving home, meeting people, encountering challenges and even death, the big change we all deal with eventually.

One of my favourite stages of the journey is called ‘ The Refusal of Return ’ . You know that scene in Return Of The King when the hobbits get back home after having hung out with ghosts, received medals from kings, run around in caves with wizards and stabbed evil demons on giant battlefields?

They are sitting in that same pub in Hobbiton where they started, looking at each other like: “ What now ?” How do you return home after something like that ? The answer is you can never really come back to where you started. Frodo even had to get on a big boat and cry at everyone and sail off with some elves, he was so incapable of fitting into his old life again. That’s a perfect example of Refusal of Return and the irreversible power of change.

I’m sentimental and nostalgic. I actually thank my personal effects, like socks and toothbrushes, before I throw them out. You know, for everything they’ve done for me. So you can imagine that packing up for moving is a big challenge, having to touch every artefact of my existence and think about where it was positioned in the routine I’m transitioning out of and where it will land in the uncertainty before me.

These sentiments must be ones videogames are capable of capturing, don’t you think?

No.

It reminds me of Tetris: things falling, finding places for them. If you had two wells for Tetris, one full of shapes previously placed, and one new, empty well, and you grabbed shapes out of the old one to drop into the new one, could that resonate with the experience of moving?

lol, you fucking gay retard.

more BS

Change is unpredictable. For myself, hopefully it will be fabulous too, once I land and come to rest, but the unknown future is just part of the human condition.

For yourself, I'd say your future is all too easily predictable. You will marry that stupid bitch girlfriend of yours, you will work on a few more shitty games, and then one fine day you'll just drop dead.

THE END.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Theory