default header

Theory

Sandbox vs. Regular game design

Moderator: JC Denton

Re: Sandbox vs. Regular game design

Unread postby icycalm » 06 Nov 2011 10:05

Did you read my notes in the private area when the hacker made the entire forum public?

In any case, yeah, I explore this at length in upcoming essays, but note that memory wipe is not even necessary. It's as simple as going to sleep and someone sticking a wire in your brain while you are sleeping. Then you wake up and voila: you are as immersed in the game as you were in reality the previous day. The main thing is that you must not know you are playing a game. Knowing this little fact ruins everything.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby SriK » 06 Nov 2011 15:09

I haven't read your notes (I did read a bit of the private forum during the whole hacking incident lol, but I only finished the Light Crusader topic before the site went down again.) I originally had thought of the memory replacement/wiping idea in the context of RPGs; it seemed like it would be an ideal way to fully immerse the player in the role of a character, if it could be done. Then I read this thread and realized that, for similar reasons as reality, a game with memory replacement would also ideally be a sandbox game instead of having preset objectives.

Looking forward to your essays on the subject.

EDIT: Is this sort of memory alteration/covert transferal related to what you were talking about when you mentioned the real way games can make a mature player cry? I'm guessing all this stuff is going to be the main topic of the "Real Virtuality" essay...
SriK

Unread postby icycalm » 06 Nov 2011 23:18

SriK wrote:Is this sort of memory alteration/covert transferal related to what you were talking about when you mentioned the real way games can make a mature player cry?

No. The Real Virtuality essay opens with a quote by Freud which reveals everything. If you can't wait until I write it, you can start reading Freud now and maybe you'll get lucky ;)
icycalm
Hyperborean

Previous

Return to Theory