default header

Theory

Scoring is for Aspies: The Picture-Book Version

Moderator: JC Denton

Scoring is for Aspies: The Picture-Book Version

Unread postby icycalm » 14 May 2012 13:26

Here's what has been said so far on this subject:

I wrote:I was only half-joking about that picture-book. If it sounds at all feasible to you, let me know and perhaps we can work on it.

I wrote:For example, one picture could show an arcade stick and a blank screen, with the caption "WIGGLING THE STICK WITHOUT GRAPHICS GIVES NO PLEASURE AT ALL".

Then the next one could have an awesome screen with awesome graphics and the caption "HENCE THE PLEASURE MUST COME FROM THE GRAPHICS".

Etc. etc.

SriK wrote:It could probably be done. If it was just a "book" in the style of the motivational posters (i.e. just images with text under them) then it wouldn't take too long, but if it was in the style of an actual children's book, with illustrations, etc., it might take a bit longer (though it would be cooler and probably funnier.)

I wrote:I wonder how long they'll let me talk to them like retards before they ban me.

As for the picture-book, you are right. But can you draw actual pictures? I certainly can't. So we either find an artist, or start the poster version ourselves, and maybe later get an artist on board to do the children's book version.

SriK wrote:Yeah, I can't draw well either, so I guess illustrations are out of the question for now.

SriK wrote:Alright, so just pages illustrating the main points of the article? (All this time I was thinking it would be a narrative, lol, e.g. lil Johnny getting obsessed with playing DoDonPachi so he could climb to the top of the Shmups forum scoreboard, getting diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome, and then talking with a therapist, etc.) Just tell me what you want in and I'll try to do it.

I wrote:I'll get some rest and think about it. Perhaps I could write a little script and then you could see if you could realize it with Photoshop, improving the wording when you can, etc.

So this is where we currently are. However, after sleeping, and waking up on it, I decided that I'd had more fun if I moved forward with my writings instead of working even more on this, so that's what I am going to do. But the project is still a fun and worthwhile one, so I am putting it out there for other people who might want to do it. First you'll have to come up with a script, and then either SriK makes a motivational poster version of it, or, if there's an actual artist in this forum who's willing to help, you go straight to the picture-book version. As for the script, getting a concise bullet-point summary of the essay would be the first thing to do. And then, if an artist has in the meantime volunteered you turn the points into a little story, if not into motivational poster lines. And don't worry about making mistakes in the summary and being banned or whatever. This is a tough essay: even I would have to think hard about summarizing it, so it can be a collective endeavor, with different people volunteering different points and improving those of others', and with me overseeing the whole process and making appropriate corrections.

As for the pictorial version of it, the picture-book would have characters like "Happy Aspie" and "Sad Aspie" and perhaps "Evil Sperglord Aspie" (e.g. the admin of Shmups.com or whoever induces these poor kids to play "for score" and calls them "sissies" if they don't), etc. etc. The whole idea is that it must be extremely condescending and make these people look like they are complete and total autists who need urgent clinical attention. And we can even use lines by zinger like these:

I've worked with dozens of children with disorders within the autism spectrum and basically all of them had obscenely focused interests. There was this one little dude for instance who sat all day long memorizing entire phone directories. But hey, if you like numbers a lot, knock yourself out!

No juggling medals on unicycles meanwhile collecting as many sandals and breads as possible in order to turn them into Pogs and reflect them onto a bunch of pigs which you then have to milk until the end of time.

A spaceship that collects sandals and breads reflecting things on pigs and milking the goddamn pigs. If the autism isn't obvious to you after reading stuff like this you must be autistic yourself.

So, I am going to go finish my Pong review, and if anyone feels like working on this, very well. If not, perhaps someone eventually will. At any rate the thread will be here waiting.

P.S. Everyone who contributes will be credited in any manner they choose (real name, pen name or username) in the finished work, and it will be available to view on this site free of charge.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Theory