default header

Theory

On Replayability

Moderator: JC Denton

On Replayability

Unread postby icycalm » 12 Sep 2012 18:18

I've been recently reading this cool little blog which has been running since 2008 and contains dozens of great reviews, trying to see if I can get the guys there to contribute, in some form, either directly or indirectly (i.e. via simple republication) to Insomnia. The bad thing about it all is that their best reviewer, who is responsible for like 90% of the good reviews on there, is a bit of an aspie. Remember the sunflower seed kids I just mentioned in the Ghetto thread? He is a bit like them, with the main difference that he knows what he's talking about. They play games in a similar, sunflower-seed-cracking fashion, but while the true sunflower seed kids' opinions are absurd and worthless, his are very experienced and nuanced, and what's more are expressed in a very pleasant and at times even hilarious manner. And he IS sensitive to aesthetics now and then -- just nowhere near as much as a properly developed human being.

So anyway, I just got done reading his DMC4 review, and was so outraged by some of his conclusions, that I feel compelled to shout this out immediately, even though I can't be bothered, at the moment, to offer any explanation.

REPLAYING, EVEN A SINGLE TIME, A GAME THAT FEATURES STAGE PROGRESSION PRACTICALLY AMOUNTS TO PROOF OF BAD TASTE.

People like to boast how many times they've replayed a game, and fancy that this fact helps establish their authority as experts on it, bolstering the perceived value of their opinion, whereas the truth is the exact opposite. The moment I hear that someone replayed a game I am immediately CONVINCED, without having even read his opinion yet, THAT THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH IT.

This is very advanced theory we are talking about here. Aspies, fags, bums, sunflower seed kids and other subhuman rubbish will never be able to understand it; will be instantly revolted and outraged at the mere mention of it. But that's how it's got to be, or we might as well give up and go back to "different folks for different strokes" theory, i.e. to no theory at all.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Theory