default header

Games

ronan's graphic works

Moderator: JC Denton

Unread postby ronan » 11 Aug 2009 16:28

Actually, I haven't found it. I just assumed that the American cover image had been vertically stretched because of the strange proportions of the eye (the iris is an elippse instead of a circle). This is however not the case of this German cover. I might be wrong, though.
Last edited by ronan on 12 Aug 2009 20:33, edited 1 time in total.
ronan
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 12 Aug 2009 18:58

Oh, okay.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ronan » 18 Sep 2009 02:08

I am trying to make a Gears of War header, but I am not so pleased with the result. Any suggestions?
ronan
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 18 Sep 2009 16:28

It's actually pretty good. I'll try it on the frontpage and see how it looks. But you should also make one with the red Gears skull on a black background. That one is a must...

By the way, my reviews are really coming, lol. At least the Max Payne one for starters. Postback EX too! It's just that I start something, then I get stuck somewhere, then I move on to something completely different and forget for a while about the first thing. That's what happened with both Postback EX and those reviews.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 18 Sep 2009 16:55

By the way, the art for this banner is from Gears 1, right?
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ronan » 19 Sep 2009 23:05

Yes, it is an edited screenshot of the PC version of the first Gears of War. And here is another header with the skull logo:

I've also found a nice Koujirou artwork (Gekka no Kenshi 2):

And some Killer 7 headers, that could do for a review after adding a logo:

I will gladly wait for the new reviews and Postback EX.
ronan
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 20 Sep 2009 15:50

I used the first Killer 7 one and the Gekka no Kenshi 2 on the frontpage; they are both awesome. The GoW logo does not really work at that size. I was thinking of a much smaller size on a black background, but perhaps the image will be too "empty" in that case...

The other two Killer 7 headers are nice, so we'll keep them for later. Good stuff.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby El Chaos » 04 Oct 2009 23:04

Heh, I can't get enough of the Dan Smith one. It is really awesome.

You rule, ronan.
El Chaos
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby ronan » 04 Oct 2009 23:22

Thanks, Chaos. I have to say that I enjoy your translations, too. As for the Dan Smith header, I only cropped an official artwork. The result is indeed nice, but it is not really because of me.
ronan
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby ronan » 03 Nov 2009 23:43

I have centered the system logos in order to have more flexibility. Now you can for instance center them in a column easily.

In fact, I had forgotten that you actually asked for logos with constant dimensions (and aligned to the right). So, if you still need that, I can make another set of logos and give a link to a gallery.
ronan
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 04 Nov 2009 00:45

Much better! One thing I wanted to point out before but forgot, is that you should turn the arcade cab and handheld icons into line drawings, if you can. Do you know what that is? Check the frontpage of gamengai.com. Those are line drawings of arcade buttons -- not photographs of them...
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ronan » 19 Nov 2009 00:12

Right, photos should be avoided for the sake of consistency. I have again tried to make logos for the Game Boy family. In fact, by using a frame and sometimes two lines of text, the result is pretty decent. The DS logo gave me more trouble, but I edited the text pixel by pixel in order to keep it readable even at this small size. If you like, I can simply make the logo even wider.

As for the arcade cab, I will soon make a line-drawing logo, that is a good idea.

On a sidenote, all the framed logos are now 80 pixels wide. (By the way, I have changed the color of the 32X logo to gold, as seen on the Japanese device, because it is the only place where I have found this logo on a black background.)
ronan
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 19 Nov 2009 23:38

Much better, though one thing I did not like was how you made the MD logo smaller and stuck it inside a box. Can you replace it with the previous version?
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ronan » 20 Nov 2009 00:05

I did not make the logo smaller, just the frame wider. However, it is right that I can now make the logo bigger:
ImageImage

But it seems that you remember an older version of the logo, that had indeed no frame. Without frame, the logo itself has to be 40 pixels high, and thus becomes wider than any other system logo, and in my opinion a bit too big compared to the Insomnia logo:
ImageImage

Which one do you prefer?
Last edited by ronan on 12 Dec 2009 12:56, edited 1 time in total.
ronan
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 20 Nov 2009 22:12

Let's keep all of them until I get a chance to use them in a review and see what looks best...
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ronan » 05 Dec 2009 01:14

I tried to make a line-drawing cab logo. This is not easy because of the small size. So I finally made a logo pixel by pixel. Not very nice, but if you like, I think I can make a better one with another method.
ronan
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 05 Dec 2009 21:10

Yeah, not good. I was thinking maybe there'd be a tool in Photoshop that did it for you... I guess that was wishful thinking.

So, if you feel like trying again go ahead. If not it's not such a big deal. We already have plenty of alternatives...
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 11 Dec 2009 21:08

So Ronan, any chance you could do a NES logo for us for the Shatterhand review? And I guess we forgot that we'd need Genesis, TG-16, etc. logos for the American-made games...
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ronan » 12 Dec 2009 01:14

Logo chosen because of the black background.

1° a bit uneasy to read

2° non-standard width

3° without frame, non-standard width

I could also make one with the official company logo instead of the "Nintendo" text, if you — or Josh — prefer.

As for the American logos, I didn't know you wanted something besides the ones from the first version of the systems.

Speaking of that, maybe I should make another PS3 logo with the original Spiderman font... and also a new Famicom logo with the text "Family Computer" instead of the double F (Famicom Family logo).
Last edited by ronan on 13 Dec 2009 00:39, edited 1 time in total.
ronan
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby ronan » 12 Dec 2009 01:37

Fuck, I hadn't seen that Josh had already uploaded a logo... A bit less high than 40 pixels, but it looks good next to the Insomnia logo nevertheless. So here is his logo with the "TM" removed:
ronan
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby ronan » 12 Dec 2009 12:33

I edited the first logo, the one with frame and standard dimensions, to make it more readable.
Last edited by ronan on 13 Dec 2009 00:39, edited 1 time in total.
ronan
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 12 Dec 2009 13:41

I used the second, non-standard width one. Is it possible to turn into standard width?
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ronan » 12 Dec 2009 23:46

I don't get it. The longest logos are normally put into a 80-pixel-wide frame. In the present case, the text becomes a bit difficult to read when put into such a frame. I therefore made a second version where the text is a bit wider than the frame, and you chose it.

Now, do you want me to change the width of this second logo to 80 pixels? Because then, I would get back to the first logo... Or do you actually want me to increase the standard width of the frame?
ronan
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 13 Dec 2009 13:59

What I meant was that I really prefer the 1st option, but with the frame broken up into two, as in the 2nd option. Do you see what I mean?
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ronan » 13 Dec 2009 17:25

Like this?
ronan
Insomnia Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Games