Metroid: Other M

Games

[WII] Metroid: Other M

Moderator: JC Denton

[WII] Metroid: Other M

Unread postby Volteccer_Jack » 03 Jun 2009 05:30

E3 trailer for the new Metroid game:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-metroid-other/50237

The most apparent and startling bit is that it's being made by Team Ninja. This has the disheartening effect of completely crushing any hopes Super Metroid fans such as myself may have had.

It's Team Ninja, so it could very well still be good as a straight-up action game, but the trailer didn't do much for my hopes there, either. It's the sort of contrived, bland stuff which, were the title not Metroid, I would dismiss out of hand and move on.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~Winston Churchill
Volteccer_Jack

Unread postby DeadAurum » 03 Jun 2009 07:26

And what exactly were you hoping for? If it's Metroid Dread, it's still possible in the near future given that Intelligent Systems hasn't announced anything recently aside from the Dragon Quest spin-off.

Doesn't seem like anything weirder has been announced aside from this and that new MGS Rising. The strangest thing I find is that it's being developed under a developer that already has a publisher (and Team Ninja has made barely any Nintendo games in the past few years, so their relations wouldn't seem close), although Nintendo must publish it so they can tack their IP on the game.

Too bad the game will never be recognized as its own entity because of that move. And my, what a name!

Aside from that, there's almost zero chance Retro Studios is making another Metroid Prime (I didn't buy the "trilogy-only" story) as it would be really weird having two completely different 3D Metroid series out in 2010.

Something as interesting as Prime should be on the way, given Retro isn't constrained to a different IP.
DeadAurum

Unread postby icycalm » 03 Jun 2009 14:48

Volteccer_Jack wrote:The most apparent and startling bit is that it's being made by Team Ninja. This has the disheartening effect of completely crushing any hopes Super Metroid fans such as myself may have had.

What does Super Metroid have to do with any of this? I thought we were past the stage where a simple title would fool us into confusing entirely different genres. Super Metroid has nothing to do with Metroid Prime or with this game, just as, say, WarCraft has got nothing to do with World of WarCraft, etc. I am going to put an end to all this nonsense once and for all in an upcoming article, but in the meantime read this:

http://forum.insomnia.ac/viewtopic.php?p=6982#6982

So if you really are a Super Metroid fan, the 3D action genre is definitely NOT where you should be looking to get your 2D side-scrolling action fix. Forget about the title on the box: look at the goddamned game.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby JoshF » 31 Mar 2010 01:35

JoshF

Unread postby icycalm » 18 Sep 2012 10:04

http://culture.vg/reviews/in-depth/metr ... 0-wii.html

Great review, and very enjoyable to read. I am just going to nitpick this:

S.A. Renegade wrote:This is even more retarded than just inexplicably losing all of your items at the start of the game

which is a jab at Metroid Prime. You did not lose the items "inexplicably" -- the reason is explained in the plot. And every single fucking game works with a linear item progression -- ONE game decides to mix it up a little for variety's sake and fuck a little with you in the first stage (essentially employing the mechanical equivalent of the flashback technique seen in literature and movies), and all you have to say about that is that it's "retarded" BECOZ I LOST MA ITEMS MAN!

And then you ask for originality and innovation...
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 18 Sep 2012 11:33

With this comment, by the way, I take it he is referring to the later MP sequels:

S.A. Renegade wrote:So after Retro Studios fucked up Metroid Prime for no reason,

I can't imagine he'd be playing Other M if he thought the original Prime was fucked up.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 18 Sep 2012 12:35

I also have to take exception with this comment:

S.A. Renegade wrote:Now, as we all know, the masterpiece we're trying to live up to with this series is Super Metroid.

That's like saying: "Now, as we all know, the masterpiece we're trying to live up to with the Devil May Cry series is Double Dragon".

Or, "Now, as we all know, the masterpiece we're trying to live up to with the Wing Commander series is R-Type".

Is there a connection? Sure, but it's tenuous. The games belong to different genres. If you actually said these things to people who play these games they'd think you are a child or retarded. You, who claim to only care about mechanics, are being fooled by the logo in the title screen and what boils down to little more than a coat of paint. Besides which, if all Other M or the Prime series did was to "live up" to Super Metroid they'd be abject failures. Same with DMC and Wing Commander, both of which utterly trounce Double Dragon (well, save for the co-op feature) and R-Type. You've got AN ENTIRE EXTRA DIMENSION, an order of magnitude (or more, I don't know) greater possibilities. If you are not achieving a comparably greater result you are a failure, and might as well have stuck with the single-plane games.

And I mean, it's okay to make comparisons between the first Prime game and Super Metroid, just as it was okay to do so between DMC and 2D brawlers, back when the genre was young. But to keep evaluating DMC4 and Bayonetta by the standards of an ancestor so remote that there's barely any resemblance left borders on the retarded. We are now on the 4th "Prime" game or whatever, not to mention a whole shitload of other FPSes with heavy exploration elements; to still keep talking about a 2D game makes one wonder whether you've played any of them.

It's a good review regardless, but it would have been better without any reference to the 2D games, and with a few more comparisons to its immediate predecessors.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Games