Darksiders

Games

[360] [PS3] [PC] Darksiders

Moderator: JC Denton

[360] [PS3] [PC] Darksiders

Unread postby Bread » 29 Nov 2009 01:17

Action-adventure from new developer Vigil Games. Loosely based on the events in Revelation, in a modern setting. Chunky, comics-inspired, WoW-like character design.

This video preview shows a lot of brawling, sometimes on horseback, plus platforming with a grappling hook and a portal gun. It's free roaming too.

Another video preview
Official website

To be released January 1st next year in North America, 8th in Europe.
Bread

Unread postby icycalm » 18 Sep 2012 07:48

http://culture.vg/reviews/in-depth/dark ... 0-ps3.html

Intriguing review -- just going by the art style and the publisher I'd never have assumed it to be anything but trash. And this is my only issue with the review: I do not find the art style "really cool" at all. It has some nice aspects, chiefly in the size and pure brutishness of the beastly characters (but even that I figured by watching a video, because in the screens and illustrations everything seems simply ugly), but it's barely 3/5 material in this regard, as is the norm with Western games. Is it better than WoW and Blizzard's artists? In some respects, yes, but look at your character's face, there's hardly any character design there at all. Blizzard at least has more variety -- though ultimately both art styles are so mediocre and have so many flaws and outright ugly aspects it's better to try forget about them altogether.

Still, the game looks good in motion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N9d1Mf8WMI

Reminds me quite a bit of Metal Wolf Chaos, if you switch the setting from fantasy to sci-fi. And I love the little humans running around and getting crushed, while no one pays attention to them.

Might try it out at some point then.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 18 Sep 2012 09:45

And I guess this shit too:

Shepton wrote:Oh, it also has a really cool feature that tells you all the little details, like how many enemies you've killed, how many miles you've run, how many gallons of demon blood you spilled, how long you've spent in combat and out of combat, etc. EVERY game should have something like that. It's nice to know.

EVERY game must offer a host of pointless trivia, just like in the Bayonetta review, EVERY action game should not have items. They are prone, in the midst of perfectly good analysis, to making random baseless overgeneralizations. GTA has all these screens giving you all these numbers too, and no one but autistic children bother looking at them beyond the initial novelty phase. How about the next Martin Scorcese movie giving you detailed stats at the end of how many miles the protagonist walked, etc.? Can't you see that for anything beyond the simplest straight-up action games this sort of shit hurts the immersion, the believeability of the world? And even in stuff like DMC it adds absolutely nothing. Funny thing is, a game like Civilization has far more reason to give you lots of stats at the end, because they can greatly help you improve by setting specific targets in your problem areas for your next session -- yet it still gives you fewer stats than GTA! (at least up to Civ3, which I've played -- I don't know about 4 or 5).
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Games