default header

Games

[WII] Zangeki no Reginleiv

Moderator: JC Denton

[WII] Zangeki no Reginleiv

Unread postby icycalm » 27 Dec 2009 23:20

Looks very good for a Wii game... and quite action-packed too, motion controls and all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcG150evp1s

http://videogamerx.gamedonga.co.kr/zbxe/1350141
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 25 Feb 2010 22:25

http://forums.selectbutton.net/viewtopic.php?t=26316

108 wrote:i had no god damn clue that ZANGEKI NO REGINLEIV was released two god damn <i>weeks</i> ago. i thought it was one of those games with a TBA release date. i figured it was, at the moment, yet some kind of mythical beast the likes of which only exist on the screen as enemies in ZANGEKI NO REGINLEIV.

the mythical beast i refer to is this: it is a big-scale battlefield brawler a la dynasty warriors <b>NO MUST NOT MENTION DYNASTY WARRIORS DAMN IT</b>, by <i>earth defense force</i> developers SANDLOT. <i>however</i>. one bit of bad news is that it's for the nintendo wii, which means no delicious high-def graphics. this is okay, though! because SANDLOT are such a small company that they can only ever seem to concentrate on one element of their games at a time. i'd rather they concentrate on the playing experience with something this ambitious.

what form is the ambition of which i speak??? well! it's a battlefield game where apparently the enemies really, really hate you, and want you dead.

<b>AND</b> you control a multitude of weapons -- some melee, some ranged (including swords, spears, bows, etc) -- using the wii remote and the motion plus accessory! player movement is accomplished with the wii nunchuk!

holy shit! someone done gone made the game i proclaimed that someone should make three seconds after first trying out the motionplus. this could be great! i mean, what could possibly suck about this?

i was about to step out and go buy this game ten minutes ago, then i figured i should probably post a frothread because for once we stand a chance of one of these frothworthy-on-paper games actually being frothworthy in The Real Lifes.

<b>OFFICIAL SITE</b> is here:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/rznj/index.html

<b>TRAILER</b>

for those suffering tldritis:

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vXY-L37qROM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340">

<b>CONCLUSION</b>:

this looks like probably the best N64 game of all-time, stars many vikings and other assorted northy dudes and dudettes, and the story centers around norse mythology and ragnarok. if it sucks, the froth currently pooled on my floor will be fresh enough to be mopped up straightaway with a paper-towel-mummified fist; we will need no mister clean, or expensive buffing machines. i go forth, then, to make purchase!

(and also the lufia 2 remake (and possibly shiren 4))

Chris B wrote:I've been playing this a lot and as expected, it's basically the fantasy version of Earth Defence Force. Dismembering giants is a lot of fun and the Motion+ enhanched controls work reasonably well, but it takes some time until you figure out how to trigger actions reliably and without flailing your arms all over the place.

I'd say that compared to EDF, the game feels a bit less frantic and more methodic. It's all about positioning and reading your enemies' attack patterns, to judge if you have the time to pull of that slow but powerful slash.

The two distinct character classes from EDF 2 (marine and jetpack girl) also make a return, yet this time the differences are more subtle. The girl can't fly, but she takes 3 instead of 2 weapons into battle and her powerful staffs burn Mana, which can only be recharded by going melee. The guy has bigger swords and HAMMERS, but his bows are no match for the girls' magic.

108 wrote:holy shit! someone done gone made the game i proclaimed that someone should make three seconds after first trying out the motionplus. this could be great! i mean, what could possibly suck about this?

Well it basically has the same probs EDF had, and with that I mean that they could've easily dropped half the stages, weapons and difficulty settings. It took me 20 hours to finish the singleplayer on easy, and I can't see myself going through all of it 4 (or 5?) times more. It's also too bad that they dropped the split screen co-op, but teaming up with 3 other players online is a decent replacement.

I've been doing this the last couple days and constantly feel like a rude jerk, because I can't even say hello to my polite japanese teammates. The lack of a decent ingame chat is really annoying, all you can do is pick from a list of standard phrases, and the only one I understand is "ok".

TORUMASUTA wrote:Just going to mention that this game supposedly does away with "Friend Codes" and just uses a sane "join game" option, complete with text chat. So by "online" they actually mean "online"!
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Games