default header

Games

[PC] [ONE] [360] Titanfall

Moderator: JC Denton

Unread postby Qpo » 05 Aug 2014 11:07

The death cam is fucking disgusting, having the victim watch the seconds leading up to his death through the eyes of the killer. Sharing data from my eyes with teammates is OK, but this is practically LIVE FOOTAGE FROM BEHIND ENEMY EYES for anyone I kill since they respawn quickly — if you're going to whore out my senses at least have the courtesy of using a substantial delay. And being killed, you're torn out of your body, thrown back in time, pressed into another's body, only to watch yourself get killed from the outside. It's almost physically nauseating.

In an FPS, film from the avatar's eyes. It's that fucking simple. During cutscenes you can take some liberties, but it's best when you don't. Remote vision must be integrated into the setting with e.g. security cameras or scrying. But this makes fuck-all sense. What? A corpse neural hacking back in time from the afterlife? If he can do that WHILE HE'S DEAD then why the hell can't he do it when he's alive? And if everyone has got this extremely powerful ability, why has nobody developed a counter for it?

When all you do is frag and get fragged dying is usually half the fun, but this fucking death cam makes it impossible to enjoy. It spoils every death, leaving very little room for suspense. A standard fade-to-black would've been a thousand times better, or you can add a red tint, or do both. GoldenEye 007 did this much better almost 20 years ago. Chivalry: Medieval Warfare is a more recent example.

If their goal was to limit the whining of "omg how r u killz me!" they should've just added mute functions. Or disabled the global transmission of text messages between all avatars. Sounds extreme? I've played with this for hundreds of hours in CS, as per forced by the rules of R60.org, and it is great. Global texting could've at least been integrated with the visor HUD, but why would you leave a line of communication open for the enemy to annoy you with? (Chatting between maps, in menus and as players, is another deal altogether.)

That you can't pick equipment normally is shit. Instead you have five pilot loadout slots (you can unlock two more specific for each game mode), you must be using one of them at all times, and can only edit them between maps, not while playing. So if you want to switch e.g. primary weapon as you play, you need to set up several loadouts that look exactly the same except for the main weapon. The same goes for anti-Titan weaponry, secondary weapon, grenades and abilities. It's ridiculous. And remember that you can only have five (or seven) loadouts. The equipment menu is also pretty shitty, with annoying sub-menus for every selection: it takes four clicks on four different screens to change primary weapon, its sights and mod.

Just make a third respawn option that's "spawn from ship", where you have access to all equipment on one big screen, giving you a perfect overview and allowing you to rapidly pick what you want. Add hotkeys, and let pre-saved loadouts simply be the useful shortcuts to one's favorite equipment that they're supposed to be. Also, this way changing equipment would come at the decent price of your first spawn with it being from a vulnerable position (people shoot you midair unless you're cloaked), instead of frustration with shitty menus.

The waiting time between maps is extremely long, probably to give people time to mess with their loadouts (and wank to their "achievements", i.e. being spammed with random data about how they play). With a better equipment system it could've first off been much shorter, but it'd also be nice if they used this space for neat cinematics of flying from the previous location to the new one, connecting the cool start and end of each map together.
Qpo

Previous

Return to Games