Mirror's Edge 2

Games

[PC] [MAC] [PS4] [ONE] Mirror's Edge Catalyst

Moderator: JC Denton

[PC] [MAC] [PS4] [ONE] Mirror's Edge Catalyst

Unread postby Siren » 08 Feb 2010 21:56

You will see another Mirror’s Edge for sure. It’s just a matter of when that time is and what we do with it. We have a small team on it and I’m excited about what we do.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/ea_confi ... dge_2.html

I hope this one gets a Tokyo-inspired setting.
Siren

Unread postby MrPattywagon » 09 Feb 2010 16:43

The linked article in the OP might say December in the byline, but the story is several months older. Articles with identical information (mentioning Videogramer, a "small team", and Söderlund's comments on the lackluster commercial success of the IP's first game - including the exact quote you provided) appeared in major game publications back in June. See http://ps3.ign.com/articles/994/994273p1.html for an example.

You can also see that comments on the OP article go back as far as June.

That was in the summer of 2009, and I hear something happened to the economy since Mirror's Edge came out. As much as I'd like confirmation of ME2, the best we have are non-committal (if vaguely positive) comments from DICE.

[C]ould the possibility for a Mirror's Edge sequel finally shine through?

"I can't really comment on that," Exec. Producer Karl-Magnis Trodesson started to explain, "because we haven't officially announced that we're working on it. But we were very happy and proud of Mirror's Edge one as a studio, so we are thinking about what we're going to do in the future."

And there was that art portfolio deal, but I have little knowledge of how art direction works in game studios. Since it's conceivable to me that concept art could exist for dead projects, I don't place much emphasis on the "leak".
MrPattywagon

Unread postby MrPattywagon » 14 Feb 2011 18:34

Development of Mirror's Edge 2 has been "stopped" by EA.

A team at DICE showed EA a prototype that was "declined", according to a Eurogamer Sweden translation of a Press 2 Play TV report.

"Patrick [Soderlund - EA driving and shooting game boss] acknowledges that Mirror's Edge didn't match up to their expectations regarding sales, and that has stopped the sequel that has been in development," declared the report, published originally in December.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011- ... ge-2-pitch
MrPattywagon

Unread postby Some guy » 24 May 2013 13:47

Mirror's Edge 2 listed on Amazon Germany:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... on-germany

Jeffrey Matulef wrote:A listing for the long-rumoured sequel to DICE's first-person parkour adventure Mirror's Edge has appeared on Amazon Germany.

According to the listing, Mirror's Edge 2 is coming to Xbox 360 for €99.99.

That seems awful spendy, suggesting that this is just an estimated price. One wonders if this is really for the Xbox 360 then, if it does indeed exist.

We've reached out to publisher EA for comment, and will update if we find out anything.

Last we checked, ngmoco Sweden and former executive producer of the Battlefield franchise, Ben Cousins said, "It is general knowledge in the Stockholm dev scene that Mirror's Edge 2 is in production at DICE."
Some guy

Unread postby Some guy » 29 May 2013 12:44

Mirror's Edge 2 listed by Amazon Italy:
http://www.oxm.co.uk/54909/mirrors-edge ... zon-sites/

Aoife Wilson wrote:When a listing for Mirror's Edge 2 appeared on the German Amazon site not so long ago, we didn't dare report on it for fear that our fragile hopes would be promptly and cruelly shattered. But now that a listing has also cropped up on Amazon's Italian branch too, we're thinking that the existence of the much-longed for sequel might not be so far-fetched after all.

It's probably important to note that the new Italian listing features what is clearly placeholder box art and a tenuous holding release date of 1st January 2020. In addition, the listing isn't taking pre-orders at present, though it suggests that users sign up to receive information as soon as it becomes available.

Perhaps the most interesting nugget to glean from the new listing is Xbox One is reported as the game's only platform, whereas the German site entry (now taken down) mentioned the Xbox 360. Could this be one of the fifteen confirmed Xbox One exclusives?

Former DICE man Ben Cousins insists that Mirror's Edge 2 is in production, despite a shortage of updates from either the developer or EA. It was rumoured last year that the game would appear on next generation machines, and support Kinect.

The listing appears to have been removed along with the German one.
Some guy

Unread postby shubn » 10 Jun 2013 22:23

shubn

Unread postby icycalm » 11 Jun 2013 01:15

FAN-TASTIC. Looks un-be-fucking-lievable. Sooo glad they got rid of that shitty anime style for the cutscenes. Easily the worst thing about the original. BRING IT ON, SWEDEN!

Was hoping to see some system logos at the end, but what does it matter anyway, since I'll get it on PC?

The "When it's done" release date is also a nice touch. There should be an acronym for it, along with TBA, etc. WID.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby shubn » 12 Jun 2013 19:27

http://www.gamespot.com/e3/new-mirrors- ... d-6409990/

The new Mirror's Edge game officially announced this week will feature an open world, publisher Electronic Arts confirmed this morning during a conference call.

EA Labels boss Frank Gibeau described the new game as a cult classic and said it enjoyed a "great fan reaction" at E3's briefing on Monday.

"We're bringing Faith back in this open-world [emphasis added] action adventure game," Gibeau said.

The Mirror's Edge sequel is currently in development for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC. According to developer DICE, it will be released "when it's ready."
shubn

Unread postby icycalm » 12 Jun 2013 20:30

That sounds like bad news. See my No More Heroes and Burnout Paradise reviews if you don't understand why, and wait also for my upcoming Crackdown one. Unless they are prepared to turn this game into GTA, this is bad, bad news.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby movie » 12 Mar 2014 12:23

http://gematsu.com/2014/03/rumor-first- ... ors-edge-2

New details on Mirror’s Edge 2, announced at last year’s E3, have reportedly leaked via RocketChainsaw, the website of NeoGAF admin EvilChildren, which claims to have seen “video content of the in-development game.”

Get the information below.

• The game is being targeted for a 2016 release across PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC, and Mac.

• The E3 2013 teaser was “entirely real-time and generally unscripted,” including combat. The in-development build matches up graphically and mechanically.

• The game is a total reboot of the series. The core goal is to create a “living, breathing city” in a open world for players to explore.

• The open world environment includes a “persistent, ‘always online’ component,” where the open world is considered a “multiplayer ‘playground’” where other players can seamlessly drop-in or out and freely choose their level of interaction with other players in the game world. Journey‘s online feature was given as an example.

• Other multiplayer components include co-op and competitive modes, such as time trials.

• New enemies, including some AI opponents on equal footing to Faith, are being made. Additionally, there’s the standard cannon fodder Protectors, melee combat expert Sentinels, and armored gun wielding Enforcers.

• Faith will not have a gun.

• Feedback from the first game’s combat system has helped shaped the second’s, which has seen heavy revision. There is no more gun-play or one-button combat, but a “deeper system that emphasizes speed and fluidity.” Environment interaction is a key feature to combat, with Faith being able to push, punch, and kick enemies out of the way, and over ledges, tables, and railings.

• These physics-driven interactions are combined with 1-2-3 punch and kick-style combos, wall running, flips, and other martial arts moves, as well as brief grapples. From time to time, a third-person take-down move will be used when an enemy is beaten, and “adaptive slow motion” is used “very sparingly” to highlight certain sequences.

• Mirror’s Edge 2 is being considered a racing game at heart, as the team is focused on creating a game all about parkour, speed, fluidity, and mastery of the environment. The combat changes are being made to seamlessly integrate encounters and the combat system into the feeling of speed and mastering parkour.

movie

Unread postby icycalm » 09 Jun 2014 01:48

https://www.facebook.com/mirrorsedge/ph ... =1&theater

10295015_259744830880955_2966935481064915434_o.jpg

Her body and stance look like a man's, and her face, as seen on other pieces of concept art, like dogshit. They need to hire an artist who can make people.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 10 Jun 2014 00:30

http://www.mirrorsedge.com/#blog

Sara Jansson wrote:A WORD FROM THE PRODUCER
JUNE, 2014

Hi,

It's been a full year since we revealed that we are indeed making a new Mirror's Edge game here at DICE. I wanted to let you know that the game is progressing nicely and I think you’re going to love it! I know many of you probably wish we would show more of the game, but we’re still pretty early in development and our passionate core Mirror’s Edge team is working full on to make the best game possible.

Mirror's Edge is all about fluidity, physicality and movement. We want to make sure we evolve the game and Faith in a way that gives you an exciting new player experience. We want the game to be accessible enough to embrace new players while at the same time reward the skilled player. We are also committed to provide the best 1st person close combat in the world. Advanced combat that is integrated into an improved fluidity of movement. These are not small undertakings, but they are challenges that we are up for.

I am fortunate enough to play the game we are building every day and I cannot wait to share it with all of you and soon enough, I will. The way that the team has reduced all the little obstacles of playing the first game, while adding a bunch of innovative stuff makes it an extremely thrilling experience. The uniqueness of the Mirror’s Edge universe is still there, but with a new and fresh feel to it. We're also dedicated to let you know more about both Faith and the world that she is a part of this time around. But more about that later...

Thanks for all feedback, questions and love that have come our way during the past year. It's our fuel to keep going and never give up on what we have set out to achieve. Keep it coming!

You’ll be hearing more from me soon!

Sara Jansson
Senior Producer, Mirror’s Edge
DICE

Mirror's Edge: E3 2014: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYtlSqIPO7k

Next-gen Breakdown! Glad to see they didn't remove combat altogether, as the pacifist fags were asking for the first game, but merely moved from ranged combat to melee. Everything looks insane except the protagonist, and it's a first-person game, so whatever.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Amor fati » 09 Jun 2015 18:43

http://www.mirrorsedge.com/#blog

Sara Jansson wrote:Hello everyone,

Two years ago we revealed that we were making a new Mirror’s Edge™. Last year, we gave you a behind the scenes look into some of the early progress we had made. And though we haven't said much else in all that time, we have been listening. Thank you for your incredible passion and your patience. I'm excited to tell you that it's paid off — by this time next week, you will have finally seen more of the game at E3.

Mirror’s Edge has always had a special place in the hearts of all of us at DICE. The first game had a lot of promise. It was unlike anything else in terms of the gameplay and style — it had a unique soul. But as much as we loved that game, we knew it could be more. So that’s what we have set out to do as we introduce Mirror’s Edge to a new generation.

The team has spent a lot of time re-evaluating every aspect of the game and making it a new experience. This is not a sequel, this is not Mirror's Edge 2. We have landed on a vision that honors the first game — pushing the boundaries of first person movement and diving deeper into the story behind our heroine Faith — but also brings a lot of great new, interesting gameplay and features to the experience for our players.

So on behalf on the entire team here at DICE, we can’t wait to show you what we have been pouring our heart and soul into. We can’t wait to introduce you to Mirror’s Edge™ Catalyst.

mirrors-edge-catalyst.jpg
Amor fati

Unread postby earthboundtrev » 16 Jun 2015 23:02

E3 2015 Announcement Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsDX_LiJT7E
earthboundtrev

Unread postby SriK » 06 Aug 2015 03:16

5 minutes of play footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm1fMLmxIQo

Looks incredible.
SriK

Unread postby shubn » 01 Oct 2015 14:59

http://www.mirrorsedge.com/news/solar-f ... soundtrack

SOLAR FIELDS RETURNS TO CREATE THE MIRROR’S EDGE™ CATALYST SOUNDTRACK

Fan-favorite composer creating new soundscapes for Faith’s return

Solar Fields.jpg

Today, DICE is happy to reveal that one of our most prominent collaborators from the original Mirror’s Edge™ is making a return. Solar Fields, creator of the Mirror’s Edge soundtrack, is composing the score for Mirror’s Edge Catalyst, making the elegant city of Glass come alive with iconic, electronic soundscapes.

Solar Fields, or Magnus Birgersson as the synthesizing Swede really is called, has spent the day composing themes for the Mirror’s Edge Catalyst characters when we meet up for a chat. Figuring out how someone like Faith “sounds” - in a musical and ambient sense - is challenging. Apologizing for “the tech talk”, Magnus explains that he has approached this by diving into the music on a molecular level.

- Today I’ve been experimenting with the Mirror’s Edge theme by dissolving that piece of music using what’s known as granular synthesis. I’m playing around with these particle clouds to see what sounds are recognizable and iconic even when the music is dissolved, and to see if there are any new aspects in there I can work with.

What was your initial reaction when you were approached about composing for Mirror’s Edge Catalyst?

- My first thought when I got the offer was simply that it would be great to continue where I left off; to continue building new worlds, new feelings, and new landscapes of sound based on what Mirror’s Edge Catalyst will contain.

- My job is recreating these game environments musically and enhancing moments in the game. Setting the story to music, getting things like tempo changes perfect, and making everything sync with the gameplay is really challenging.

You’ve been living and breathing Mirror’s Edge Catalyst lately. What’s it like to be part of a project like this?

- That’s right, I feel I’ve literally been living in the city of Glass for 11 months now – and it’s a place I truly enjoy. The entire process from day one to where we are now – not that far from launch – has been incredibly exciting for me. The amount of material I’ve recorded during this time is huge. I think there’s 70GB in my Mirror’s Edge Catalyst folder now.

You’re doing backups, right?

- Haha, don’t worry – everything is very safe!

How does your overall collaboration and individual sessions with DICE look like?

- I’m in daily contact with DICE, and Audio Director Magnus Walterstad in particular has been giving me tons of information on Mirror’s Edge Catalyst to help with the composing. I’m looking at the script, the biographies on all the characters, and of course the design of the city of Glass.

- When I’m on-site at DICE I go through each of the missions with the level designers and producers. Sometimes I already have a demo of a theme with me that we can try out and discuss. I get all kinds of feedback, like whether the tempo is right or if the musical themes are too positive, for instance. This input is incredibly valuable to me.

Making music for a Mirror’s Edge Catalyst mission where both calm and hectic situations occur - how’s that done?

- It all ties into the missions of the game. I’m composing a theme for a specific mission or act. Based on that theme, I’ll create different variations that fit situations like exploration or combat. For changes in situations and moods, I’ll do things like tempo changes or switches between major and minor, but still hang on to the basic feeling of the theme. And all these changes need to happen without gaps.

- In the first game we had one stereo channel, but this time we're able to real time mix four different stereo channels based on what’s going on in the game, allowing us to create an even deeper and more dynamic musical experience than we hoped for. This requires some extra thought in creating the music stems since each layer needs to work and sound good on its own. If you’re currently playing the mission in a certain way, you might only hear the base part, and that needs to sound attractive.

Would you say this music is more subtle than your other work since so many other things are going on at the same time?

- In some areas of the game it’s very subtle, much more than what I produce normally. But again, that depends on how you’re playing the game. Other times it can be very in-your-face, especially when running around rooftops in action-packed sequences. As a runner, we want the music to help you keep moving. After all, your momentum is key to the game.

For the synthesizer fans out there, what gadgets are you playing with this time and how does technology help the creative process?

- I combine old, analogue technology with modern synthesizers and equipment. Modular systems, lo-fi synthesizers, VHS tape recorders and so on – it’s a mixture of many things. Basically my studio is like a big modular setup, where all the devices are hooked up to each other.

- A lot of the material is actually born out of chance and randomly playing around with these instruments. As an example, I’ve discovered a lot of new sounds listening to the reverberation of other sounds. When a note is fading out I can find new things to build upon and almost hear new melodies.

How was it like to receive the awesome feedback for the music from the first game and what do you think your fans are expecting from the Mirror’s Edge Catalyst soundtrack?

- I’m actually still somewhat overwhelmed from all the great feedback. But it’s fantastic that my work has resonated with so many. I really appreciate the praise, and I take that as a sign that I’ve done something well. For Mirror’s Edge Catalyst I think fans are expecting ambiences that will immerse them even more in the mood and overall atmospheres that the game will be full of. And there’s a lot of that coming.

Enjoy the thrilling soundscapes of Solar Fields when Mirror’s Edge Catalyst releases on February 23, 2016. To learn more about Solar Fields, visit his Facebook page.

Soundtrack Sample: https://soundcloud.com/eamirrorsedge/mi ... ack-sample
shubn

Unread postby shubn » 30 Oct 2015 14:48

http://www.mirrorsedge.com/news/update- ... e-catalyst

rendition1.img.jpg

Update On Mirror’s Edge Catalyst

Years ago, we set out an ambitious vision for Mirror’s Edge™ Catalyst. Achieving that vision and delivering the best possible experience is equally inspiring and challenging. And it takes time. We set out to create a vast city to explore, full of stunning vistas, majestic skyscrapers, and mysterious tunnels. We’re building the most immersive action-adventure game with fluid movement and combat in first person. Mirror’s Edge Catalyst will be an all-new playground with a deeper and more engaging story - and we want to accomplish all these goals to the highest quality possible.

So we’ve made the decision to bring Mirror’s Edge to the world starting May 24, 2016. We will use these few extra months to make sure that when you step into the massive City of Glass and experience the rise of Faith, it’s as entertaining, impressive, and memorable as it can be.

Mirror’s Edge Catalyst has received an incredible response from fans around the world over the past months. You’ve been eager to see the return of Faith and the unique style and gameplay that only Mirror’s Edge can create. Witnessing your positive reactions has been amazing motivation for me and the rest of our passionate team at DICE.

Thank you again for your patience and support. Keep the Faith.

Sara Jansson

Senior Producer, Mirror's Edge Catalyst

tl;dr: Mirror's Edge Catalyst delayed to May 2016.
shubn

Unread postby earthboundtrev » 05 Feb 2016 17:46

http://gematsu.com/2016/02/mirrors-edge ... ry-trailer

Sal Romano wrote:Electronic Arts and DICE have released a story trailer and opened sign-ups for the Mirror’s Edge Catalyst closed beta, which will be available across PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC.

In Mirror’s Edge Catalyst, Faith Connors is a self-assured thrill-seeker and one of the best Runners in the city of Glass. But when she crosses paths with the evil Gabriel Kruger and the city’s oppressive Conglomerate, Faith finds herself running for something far more important.

Story Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOe3ik_RViE
earthboundtrev

Return to Games