Theory

Casual reviews are for casual gamers

Moderator: JC Denton

Casual reviews are for casual gamers

Unread postby icycalm » 06 May 2008 18:28

http://insomnia.ac/commentary/casual_re ... or_no_one/

So here's a great recent example:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/28/arts/28auto.html

This is the review which I am told appeared as "the front page story on The New York Times' Arts section". Worthless, from start to end, with such insightful comments as:

It is by far the best game of the series, which made its debut in 1997 and has since sold more than 70 million copies.

(Though of course he doesn't bother actually explaining to us why it is "by far the best in the series".)

And such informative comments as:

Grand Theft Auto IV will retail for $60.

Which is the equivalent of a movie reviewer telling us that the ticket will be priced at $8-$10, depending on the theater.

About the only comment in the entire review that attempts to deliver some kind of criticism is this:

It all adds up to a new level of depth for an interactive entertainment experience.

... though it must be noted that at no point does he attempt to explain why this "new level" is newer than the level of, say, San Andreas or Crackdown. And the reason for that is that he simply doesn't know, and even if he did know there would be no point in telling his readers because they wouldn't know, and would be too dumb to understand.

The New York Times, ladies and gentlemen. Criticism at its best!
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby zinger » 06 May 2008 20:27

Great stuff, your article I mean.

That review reminds me of the GTAIV review I read in a Swedish magazine, waiting for my pizza yesterday. It's by some guy from Lame Reactor (lol), for the newspaper Metro.

http://www.metro.se/se/article/2008/04/28/13/1644-48/index.xml

I've summarized it for you:

It's all I've ever hoped for, and more. It's live, stylish, cool, varied, good-looking and grandiose. If you're going to buy only one game this year, buy this game.

There's also a little box with good and bad points:

Plus:
Wonderful graphics, fantastic design, breathtaking variation, awesome dynamics, excellent music, stimulating atmosphere, breathtaking story.

Minus:
Some messy action segments

Actually, there are a few hints about the content of the game, and what it's like compared to the other GTA games:

The layout and the dynamic structure of the original games is present in GTA IV, too. You pick your missions in any order you like, and in spite of that, Rockstar have managed to tell an interesting, multidimensional, violent and incredibly well-written story. As always. ... Compared to the other games in the series, or other similar games, Liberty City has really come alive this time.

Apparently, reviewing games in Swedish newspapers is all about coming up with new adjectives for describing the story or atmosphere in them.
zinger

Unread postby Molloy » 06 May 2008 22:22

It's in newspapers that I find the poor quality of games reviews most jarring. The Times in the UK has an incredibly scathing movie reviewer who marks down movies massively for what seem to be the most trivial of faults. The music reviews are generally pretty measured. But the game reviews are universally glowing. Absolutely everything is revolutionary, best in genre or highly recommended. Otherwise it's probably 'something kids would enjoy'. On the very rare occasion when they don't like something it's for stupid reasons like 'it's too short', 'it's too challenging for many users' or they just don't explain properly at all.
Molloy

Unread postby EightEyes » 24 Oct 2012 00:51

I stumbled across this:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/41f8bcc0-1158 ... z2AATfwCLe

"It turns out that the GameCity prize, now in its second year, is not aimed at gamers. Set up by Nottingham Trent University and chaired by the film producer Lord Puttnam, it wants to start a cultural conversation about video games and get people talking about them in the same way they might about Ian McEwan’s latest novel or the new Woody Allen movie.

To that end, it was assembling a panel of middle-aged gaming novices, including a DJ, a designer, an actor, a writer and a couple of journalists to play some games and talk about them."

http://prize.gamecity.org/

The games they've chosen for this panel to judge from are:

Catherine
Fez
Johann Sebastian Joust
Journey
Mass Effect 3
Proteus
Super Mario 3D Land

I'm not making this up, honest.
EightEyes

Unread postby icycalm » 24 Oct 2012 03:40

Good to see you back, man. I see you are working for Sony in the US now (IP tracing FTW). How's life treating you? I always like seeing people from back when return. Sometimes I look at all the names in the inactive user list (the good ones, not the banned ones) and I wonder what they are all doing with their lives now. And I always assume that they are no longer into videogames, because I can't bring myself to fathom how one could be a gamer -- and once have been a reader of this site -- and then one day decide to leave this place and never come back. What are all these people even reading now? Unfathomable.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby EightEyes » 24 Oct 2012 18:21

Well spotted!

Life's treating me very well indeed, thanks! I sort of lost track of the site (and almost everything else) a couple of years ago, as I packed up my old life in Australia, and moved to California to work at Sony.

I landed a job as Game Design Manager for the internal development studio in Santa Monica, where we're mostly working on God of War: Ascension at the moment. I'm enjoying working on bigger, better projects with more time and money, supported by better tech. Honestly, it's a fantastic place to be.

So I guess you can count me firmly in the "dependies" camp.

And I tell you, it's terrific to have rediscovered the site! I've spent some time getting caught up, and I don't need to tell you that there's really nothing else like it.
EightEyes

Unread postby icycalm » 25 Oct 2012 20:22

Ah, the dependie life. Living in LA on a comfortable salary, going in to work every day in plush, hi-tech offices, with a ton of people who like the same things you do, contributing to projects that give pleasure to millions of players the world over. What privation, what misery. But a man's got to do what a man's got to do. We can't all be Derek Yu.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Theory