default header

Theory

Reviewing Ports and Compilations

Moderator: JC Denton

Reviewing Ports and Compilations

Unread postby Doctor Fugue » 24 Jul 2009 22:31

http://insomnia.ac/commentary/ports_and_compilations/

I would like to have a question answered.

icycalm wrote:
Doctor Fugue wrote:A port is based on the original, but is necessarily different.

Not necessarily.

http://forum.insomnia.ac/viewtopic.php?p=10585#10585

It would be impossible for me to know every instance of every port, but I cannot think of a port that is identical to the original. It seems to me that there would always be differences (no matter how small), whether it be because of hardware or software. Even if the differences were indistinguishable to me, I would still consider a port to be changed simply by the fact of it appearing on non-original hardware.
Doctor Fugue

Re: Reviewing Ports and Compilations

Unread postby icycalm » 24 Jul 2009 23:44

Dominic, pedantry, like all tools at a thinker's disposal, can prove beneficial when used correctly, or extremely harmful when used incorrectly. No tool is good or bad per se: the trick, what distinguishes the great thinkers from the poor ones, is to know which tool to use in which case.

In this case, it would of course be technically correct to say that "every port necessarily has differences to the original version". But this truth is useless to us, because... well, technically, even two PCBs OF THE SAME GAME have differences. Recap has mentioned this somewhere on gamengai: there are often tiny manufacturing differences even between two PCBs of the same goddamn game -- differences which are of course indistinguishable by human beings, but can of course be determined by examining the board and/or analyzing its performance with appropriate software or hardware tools.

But what does all this have to do with the issue of reviewing games and their ports? Absolutely nothing, that's what. Because reviews are written by human beings for human beings -- not for machines. If a human being can't tell a difference -- then as far as that human being is concerned THERE AREN'T ANY. Technically, there are always differences of course. Practically there often aren't. And that is why I am justified in saying that "a port does not necessarily have differences to the original" -- HUMANLY PERCEIVED DIFFERENCES, it goes without saying.

Doctor Fugue wrote:Even if the differences were indistinguishable to me, I would still consider a port to be changed

And no one would really give a shit :) Not even you, in fact, because you wouldn't be able to tell the differences.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Doctor Fugue » 25 Jul 2009 00:30

Thank you; I realized too late that I had taken the sense of ports being different far beyond any reasonable comparison.

I am, however, going to start worrying that my PCBs are indistinguishably different than others of the same game. :lol:
Doctor Fugue

Return to Theory