[360] [PS3] [PC] Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

Moderator: JC Denton

[360] [PS3] [PC] Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

Unread postby NeoKubrick » 28 Jan 2013 19:53

http://www.brothersthegame.com/

Untitled3.jpg

Untitled34.jpg

http://www.shacknews.com/article/76501/ ... ooperative

Jeff Mattas wrote:The game is a cooperative experience that you play by yourself. Each brother is assigned to a different analog stick and are controlled by a single player, simultaneously. Each brother also gets a trigger for their sole action button, which can be held to engage in the game's innumerable context-sensitive actions.

There's no heads-up display in the game, dialog or text in-game. The story is told entirely through the numerous player interactions and animations. When characters speak, it's in gibberish, and the game instead relies on vocal inflection and character gestures to convey emotion and instruction.

Jeff Mattas wrote:Discovery and playful curiosity seem to be a big part of what makes Brothers compelling. While there will certainly be actions that will drive the story forward or solve the game's puzzles, Fares said that there will be a significant number of optional ways the player will be able to interact with the game. For example, rather than adding filler like collectibles, there are some optional actions that will provide achievements, along with some visual, in-game rewards. It's hard to discuss any examples without spoiling them, but they'll add some extra flavor to the experience.

Jeff Mattas wrote:Though it'll likely be around a three- to four-hour ride, every bit of content that the player experiences will be unique, down to every last NPC. No animations or art-assets are being shared between characters or locations, and each brother will be able to interact with characters in different ways. "Something that bothers me in games today is that they're repetitive," Fares said. "Everything you see [in Brothers] is a 'one-time-only,' both visually, and in gameplay." [...]

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is planned for a Spring 2013 release as a digital download for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC.

Teaser Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH8SA3pjN1k
NeoKubrick

Unread postby icycalm » 28 Jan 2013 20:37

Jeff Mattas wrote:"Something that bothers me in games today is that they're repetitive," Fares said. "Everything you see [in Brothers] is a 'one-time-only,' both visually, and in gameplay."

Hallelujah! See, progress is being made despite all and even without the theory. It's just that if the theory was widely known we'd have advances every month instead of twice or three times a decade when someone stumbled onto it by little more than sheer chance.

Jeff Mattas wrote:The game is a cooperative experience that you play by yourself.

This, however, is just stupid. Both as a mechanic and semantically (co-operative is defined as something that you DON'T do by yourself, retard).

LOOK! IMMA PLAYING BALDUR'S GAET 6-PLAYER COOPERATIVAELY BY MAISELF! NOW IMMA PLEAYING SOUPREEME COMANDER WIT 600 UNITZ COOPERATIVELY!
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 28 Jan 2013 22:49

LOOK! NOW IMMA MASTERBAITING MYSELF BY MYSELF WITH 2 HANDZ CO-OPERATIVELY! ALSO EMERGENT MASTUERBATION BECOZ THE JUZZ EMERGEZ OUT OF MAI PINACE, AND INDIE MASTOURBEAITION BECZO IMMA INDIEPENDENTLY MASTOURBATING WITH NO SHEMALE! COOP INDIE EMERGENT MASTOURBAITING FTW!
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 29 Jan 2013 00:25

In short, "co-operative" is a term that refers to the PLAYERS not the AVATARS. For multiple avatars co-operating under the control of a single player we have the term TACTICS.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby dinopoke » 09 Mar 2013 05:30

dinopoke

Unread postby Dolt » 27 Mar 2013 22:32

Dolt

Unread postby icycalm » 31 May 2014 07:13

I am about an hour into this. It's not an "indie" game, as I had initially assumed, it's made by Starbreeze, and it's cool! A charming and relaxing game. I can already recommend it if you are into some light gaming. I am sure I'll write more later, and maybe even a full review. Barring loss of interest, I am fully planning to finish it.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 01 Jun 2014 21:48

Played a little more. It's too short, too simple, and too easy. Nevertheless it has some good qualities that I will outline if I end up writing a review, so overall I'd say 3/5 for now. It is basically a real game corrupted by "indie" values and the downloadable 15-dollar business model. Without these two bad influences it would have easily been a 4-star game, and with Japanese-level aesthetics it would have been 5/5. It would basically have been a Western (Swedish) Ico.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 01 Jun 2014 21:56

After watching the trailer up on the Japanese site, which spoils a lot of what lies ahead, I think it might still be worth 4/5.

http://www.spike-chunsoft.co.jp/brothers/

It certainly picks up a little in difficulty the further I go, so if it keeps this up maybe the challenges get decently complex by the end. Better get back to it then.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Games