default header

Hardware

PC Power Supplies (Desktop)

Moderator: JC Denton

PC Power Supplies (Desktop)

Unread postby icycalm » 04 Dec 2009 00:06

I think I've settled on the 1250W version of this beast by Enermax:

Model number: ERV1250EGT. It's CrossFireX certified, which is good because I think I've decided to go with ATI.

What annoys me is that Enermax's current top models, the GALAXY EVO line, do not seem to be available outside the US -- at least not yet (and I'll be buying my unit probably from the UK).

As always, let me know if you are aware of anything more awesome that what I've chosen.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 26 Jan 2010 19:12

Good news for me and non-US (and Canada) residents in general:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?na ... y&reid=138

Enermax recently introduced their new Revolution85+ series of power supply units, with four models ranging in size from 850W to 1,250W (note: 1,250W model is 230V only and is not sold in the USA).

That article is from March 8, 2009. There seem to have been some certification issues, so the 1,250W model did not make it to the US. But the issues were later fixed, and the new unit was rebaptized as "Galaxy Evo" and eventually went on sale only in the US (and presumably also Canada), which is why I wasn't able to find it in Europe. Here's what those issues might have been:

The new Galaxy EVO 1,250W PSU looks like a Revolution 1,050W inside and out but the EVO appears to have sacrificed a little efficiency and has slightly higher levels of AC ripple on the DC outputs to gain UL certification.

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=75 ... pert&pid=8

So for all intents and purposes,

Revolution 85+ 1,250W = Galaxy Evo 1,250W

Now for some review comments:

Before this review we had been using the Corsair HX1000 as our gold standard to which we measured all other 1000W power supplies against but the Revolution changed all of that. When it comes to performance, other than a small slip in the +12V readings to the 8-pin PCI-E connector, Enermax’s poster child eclipsed the Corsair flagship again and again. However, we have to remember that our Corsair sample has seen over 1000 hours of use while the Revolution had run less than a tenth of that before the benchmarks were run. Could this have influenced the charts? Only time will tell as we stack both PSUs up against more competition in the months to come.

It is almost a shame that we have to interject some criticism into this love ballad but even Einstein needed to use an eraser to cover up a mistake every now and then. We feel that Enermax needs to take a serious look at their half-assed cable sleeving job and do it in a way that befits a power supply that retails for nearly $300. Having the multicolored mess of partially sleeved cables in an otherwise clean build will drive even the best of us to distraction. We would also like to see the warranty increased to reflect the growing trend among several of Enermax’s competitors to offer 5-year warranties. Three years is an awfully long time when it comes to computer components but for us; the longer the warranty the better. On the other hand, you know that when cable sleeving and a 3-year warranty are the only things our picky brains can find to bitch about, the company in question did one hell of a job.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ha ... ew-13.html

Performance (40% of the final score) - this is going to be an easy one to score, for the performance of this unit was flat out awesome. It had exceptional efficiency, excellent ripple and noise suppression, and such good overshoot transient suppression I'm almost surprised there was any spike on the 5VSB left. That said, I would have liked to see the 3.3V stay more stable than it did in the hot box, and I wasn't all that impressed by the soldering job in the guts. So, these issues will be holding it back from a perfect score here today. But I'm still giving this bad boy a 9.5.

Functionality (20% of the final score) - need SATA connectors? Here, have sixteen of them. PCI-E connectors? Here's eight, and while we're at it let's make them all 6+2 pin, just for the heck of it. Let's throw in a fan that runs a while after power-off. Oh, and an extra twelve pin connector on the modular connector panel, just in case. Can't forget a better sleeving job than the Eco 620W got. Seriously, is there anything about this unit a person could find fault with in this category? I think not. 10.

Value (30% of the final score) - Provantage has this unit listed right now at $267.04. That's a little more expensive than the competing Corsair HX1000, but frankly this unit is a better design, more efficient, and more powerful. Another 10.

Aesthetics (10% of the final score) - while not what I usually look for in my own power supply purchases, I have to admit I'm really liking the looks of this brute. Even the fan hub not matching in color to the fan border isn't bothering me all that much. 9.

Summary
With the Revolution 85+ series, Enermax comes in like a lion and goes out like a lion. Not only is the 1050W model possibly the most efficient unit of its size on the market to date, nearly everything else about it is drool worthy from the connector counts to the voltage stability to the ripple suppression to the six cool velcro cable ties they give you. There are a couple of minor nitpick worthy things going on in this unit like the so-so quality soldering, but if I were the competition, I'd be real worried right about now.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?na ... 4&reid=138

And note that both of these reviews are for the 1,050W model. The reason I am going for the 1,250W model, the highest one I can find, is because I plan to use two HD5970 graphics cards (for which ATI recommends a minimum of 750W), and perhaps even three if possible, in addition to a shitload of other very power-intensive components.

Also note that I did not bother at all with noise levels. The system will be used primarily for gaming, hooked up to several hundred watts of speaker gear, so I would be surprised if I could hear a REAL BOMB going off outside my apartment while gaming, let alone the power supply. Still, from the linked reviews it seems to be doing well on this score too:

Considering the hellish, ear-drum shaking amount of noise that comes from our test system’s two HD 4870X2 cards and the dual Panaflo monster fans on the CoolIT Boreas, it is a miracle I haven’t gone deaf. As you can imagine, this setup isn’t the best for proper acoustical testing but by placing my ear next to the unit, I was able to get a pretty good approximation of the noise it produces.

Even though the fan on the Revolution 85+ spins up quite a bit when running the higher wattage tests, it never becomes loud or annoying. From what I could tell, bearing noise is kept to a bare minimum and other than a muted hum; most people won’t even know that the fan on this unit is running. It also seems like Enermax’s Air Guard around the fan’s periphery almost completely eliminates the usual “whoosh” we have come to expect from fans operating in a closed environment.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ha ... ew-12.html

So as far as I know this power supply is the current state-of-the-art. And given how power-hungry PC components have got in the last few years, I'd say it's worth every dollar of its roughly $300 price tag.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 29 Nov 2012 04:01

1600W PSU from "Rosewill" (first time I hear of them), and apparently as efficient as what I already have:

hercules_1600.jpg
hercules_1600.jpg (11.51 KiB) Viewed 8597 times

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/r ... _1600w_psu

ImgPrd-2381-Cm[54752a7613b94033bc116bac6a7b3ab5].jpg
ImgPrd-2381-Cm[54752a7613b94033bc116bac6a7b3ab5].jpg (29.59 KiB) Viewed 8597 times

http://www.rosewill.com/products/2381/P ... erview.htm

Steep price at $400, but should come in handy for a next-gen overclocked rig.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 30 Mar 2014 00:47

100 more Watts than the Rosewill:
http://www.maximumpc.com/lepa_brings_bi ... eries_2014

lepa_1700m.jpg
lepa_1700m.jpg (15.78 KiB) Viewed 8468 times

Paul Lilly wrote:LEPA Brings Big Wattage to MaxPlatinum Power Supply Series

For when 1,000W just isn't enough

LEPA isn't a name you hear that often, though if you subscribe to Maximum PC magazine and/or frequently visit our website, you may recal we equipped last year's Dream Machine with a LEPA G1600-MA power supply. That was a beastly PSU, though LEPA's new MaxPlatinum PSU line has a model that trumps it. It's the P1700-MA-EU, and as you might have surmised, it's a 1,700W model with a peak rating of 1,800W!

The P1700-MA-EU is one of three new PSUs LEPA just unveiled, the other two being the P1050-MA (1,050W) and P1375MA (1,375W). LEPA says the two 'smaller' models are 80 Plus Platinum certified, while all three deliver up to 93 percent efficiency.

As with the model we used in our Dream Machine, all three MaxPlatinum PSUs are fully modular with flat cables, which can make installation easier when you're working in tight confines (and neater when you have a giant chassis with lots of space). They also feature multiple +12V rails -- half a dozen on the 1375 and 1700 models, and four on the 1050 PSU.

Unfortunately the 1700W model is only available overseas (boo!), though the other two PSUs will be available worldwide. No word yet on price.

Should come in handy for a next-gen system with four GPUs and a bunch of SSDs and HDDs.

My electricity bill already comes at nearly $100 a month. This thing should add 10 or 20 bucks on top of that. High score!
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 04 Jun 2014 19:45

EVGA jumps into the big-PSU fray with a 1600Watt model, which is 100-200Watts less than the LEPA, but comes from a more well-known and (presumably) reliable company. Would be a tough call if I was making a new system now.

http://www.maximumpc.com/got_power_evga ... r_12v_rail

evga_supernova_1600_g2.jpg

Paul Lilly wrote:Got Power? EVGA's SuperNOVA 1600 G2 PSU Delivers 133.3A Over +12V Rail

A power supply for juice hungry builds

If only hitman Chev Chelios had access to EVGA's latest power supply in the Crank: High Voltage series, he wouldn't need to go looking for sources of electricity to keep himself ticking. EVGA today announced its SuperNOVA 1600 G2 PSU, a monster 1600W unit with a mind boggling 133.3A available over a single all-important +12V rail. If you're looking for a beefy PSU to power a high-end rig with multiple graphics card, this looks like a candidate, at least based on the spec sheet (and EVGA's reputation).

Not only does the SuperNOVA 1600 G2 deliver plenty of electricity to your components, but it's also 80 Plus Gold certified with up to 90 percent efficiency under typical loads. In other words, this thing isn't wasting power or being sloppy with what it's pulling from your wall.

It's a fully modular PSU to help reduce clutter. Other features include 100 percent Japanese Nippon Chemi-Con solid state capacitors (no cheap knockoffs, is what this essentially means), a quiet and intelligent fan that EVGA claims offers near-silent operation, and support for 4th Generation Intel Core processors (C6/C7 Idle Mode).

Would you belive all this comes in at under a C-note? Neither would we -- it's actually $350 MSRP, though it does come backed by a 10-year warranty. The EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 G2 will be available soon.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Hardware