default header

News

PC|XS|PS5|ONE|PS4|SW Flashback 2

Moderator: JC Denton

PC|XS|PS5|ONE|PS4|SW Flashback 2

Unread postby icycalm » 01 May 2023 06:55

https://www.microids.com/game-flashback-2

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2008420/Flashback_2

Microids wrote:Immerse yourself in an action-packed cyberpunk universe where the fate of humanity itself hangs in the balance. The Morphs are preparing their final attack, determined to enslave every civilization in the Solar System — and it's your mission to fight back!

Gameplay Trailer | Microids Studio Lyon & Paul Cuisset
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-arkUw ... XVyolQO3wj

You could see all the way back in the '80s with the original Prince of Persia that the Whites were going for realism and the Japs for cartoons. But when 3D was invented, the Whites jumped to that immediately and dumped 2D, so they never bothered to make a lot of these kinds of realistic 2D games, and now retro efforts like this game are competing with fully-3D virtual worlds, which of course they can never beat.

That said, this is looking pretty damn good for a weekend of simple fun, if that's what you're after. There is however some controversy over the isometric levels/sections, as there apparently was about the remake. They may not be as playable as one might think. Read the comments under the trailer for more details. P.S. The original was side-view only.

I've played all these games btw on release or very near there, from Prince of Persia onwards. They were fun IN THEORY, but I never played any of them more than one or two sessions lol. It was fun moving around the environments in a more realistic manner, but at heart these games were puzzle/puzzle-action games, and they just never grabbed my attention as much as the pure action of Contra/Dracula etc. I can't put my finger on exactly why that was, right now. Maybe if I think about it a bit more, or play one of them again for a bit. I suppose my adventuring needs were covered by... real adventure games, at the time, while the Japs were taking care of my action needs. So this bastard genre just wasn't giving me anything I really needed? And maybe the backgrounds/environments weren't that thrilling either?

It must be something along those lines.

November 2023.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 01 May 2023 07:11

These games go Prince of Persia -> Another World -> Flashback

Tim Rogers has made out Another World to be some kind of groundbreaking masterpiece.

None of these games have any significance for the history of gaming. They are merely semi-interesting curiosities.

Absolutely nothing stemmed from them. They are dead-ends.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 01 May 2023 07:15

You can see that they are dead-ends because both the remake of Flashback and the sequel... are no longer side-view. The creator found it necessary to expand them to full isometric 3D in order to evolve them further. But that happened to the side-view genres all the way back in the '90s. He's just a few decades late to the party. And maybe in another few decades he'll make something like Mirror's Edge.

I suppose I should write Not Art essays for all these games. I am just too busy having fun with metaverse games to have the time for it right now.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to News