Cult Citizen

Motion simulators

Moderator: JC Denton

Motion simulators

Unread postby icycalm » 30 Jul 2023 19:24

I saw this ad on a recent visit to the Impound:

https://dofreality.com

DOF Reality wrote:#1 – Most Sold Motion Simulator in The World

We sold more Motion Simulator platforms than all other vendors combined.

It's exactly as cool as it sounds: it's basically a G-LOC cabin in your home, if you have heard of the 1990 Sega arcade game.

I played a credit of this back in the day. It would even turn you upside down! But it wasn't a particularly good game, so I only played a credit to see how it felt being upside down. I can't even imagine how awesome it would be to play Star Citizen like this.

Well this company's products seem to be able to do everything EXCEPT put you upside down. Their most expensive one has 6 degrees of freedom, costs $6,552 and looks like this:

DOF Reality wrote:DOF Reality H6 Consumer Motion simulator platform

Features: All possible six Degrees Of Freedom movements (forward, backward, surge, side to side, sway, up, down, heave, yaw, pitch, and roll). This unique platform is capable to reproduce any possible motion! There is no other product on the market under $15,000 that can do what our platform does. The H6 model has our unique SFU drive system that is designed to move not only the seat, but, all simulator controls (steering wheel, joystick, pedals, throttles, etc.) mounted to the motion platform. You will feel like you are really driving a car or in the cockpit of a plane. When you move, everything moves with you!
Compatibility: PC, Xbox* and PlayStation*
Any Peripherals: wheel , pedals, joystick , yoke, monitor , VR
Included: The motion platform. (The seat and game controllers are not included)

So your $6.5k is basically buying you this:

They have cheaper models too starting all the way down from $749 with only 2 degrees of freedom (pitch and roll). The most popular mid-range model for example goes for $2,527 and looks like this:

Full product comparison:

I think the above prices might be including the seats, otherwise they don't match up with the advertised individual model prices.

They say they are as easy to assemble as IKEA furniture, and easy to maintain.

Everything is VR compatible, so you don't even have to use screens if you don't want to. Screens would make everything harder to set up, plus the headset takes care of sound too. So with VR it should be super-easy to set up, and shouldn't take much space either.

This is what it looks like with a screen:

Let the GIF cycle so you can see all 6 degrees of freedom.

I think this thing can take Star Citizen to the next level. You can use it with other games too, but I don't give a shit. And the price is reasonable for what you get. I think the more people start buying this stuff, the more the price will come down, and I believe by the end of this decade we will have full G-LOC-style upside-down cabins for $5-$10k in everyone's home who wants to have one.

My only reservation with the current models is that I wouldn't want to use them for space combat, because when you go upside down in a fighter, it would feel strange when the seat doesn't go upside down. So I would use this for normal flying, e.g. hauling, delivery missions, transportation etc., and I would also use it with ground vehicles, but when I go into a dogfight I would turn it off if there's a switch for doing that quickly. Then again there were After Burner and/or G-LOC cabinets with just side-to-side swaying if I remember correctly, and those were perfectly playable, so maybe I am just being too picky here and maybe the current gear will work fine in dogfighting. Need to try them out to make sure.

I don't have a stable address right now, and I can't afford the most expensive one, but I could almost afford it a couple of weeks ago when one of my cryptos pumped 100%, so maybe I will be able to afford it again in the near future, plus I plan to get a new apartment soonish. These machines will only make me seek to settle down sooner.

I WILL be playing SC with one of these things in the near-to-mid future, and I will even put them in the Spec sheet for the higher ranks.

Stop spending your money on garbage midwit minigames on Steam and start throwing it in Star Citizen. For midwit games just grab Epic's free games every week. If you want immersion, this is immersion, and everything else is a minigame (most are even microgames).

P.S. I need to look up the $15,000 motion simulator that the ad copy above implies already exists. Maybe it's this??? https://culture.vg/forum/topic?t=7882
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Cult Citizen