default header

Games

[PC] [VAR] Doom

Moderator: JC Denton

[PC] [VAR] Doom

Unread postby Turnus » 19 Dec 2013 00:20

To celebrate Doom's 20th anniversary, IGN's Ryan McCaffrey created an excellent video of himself playing through Doom's entire first episode with John Romero.

We Play Doom with John Romero: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUU7_BthBWM
Turnus

Unread postby icycalm » 16 Feb 2017 19:24

Review: http://culture.vg/reviews/videogame-art ... -doom.html

From Discord: https://discord.gg/7ZKAkEj

DJ Orwell
Note to self: Take "casual complaint" comment too personally, then get banned by ridiculing icy's complaining about GETTING LOST in a Doom level, which has never occurred to me, nor did he mention the map key which you can hit to scan where you haven't been in two seconds.

icycalm
I really don't care about people ridiculing me about this stuff. I can see how it might seem ridiculous, but what is even more ridiculous is the idea that I might be casual, or capable of doing anything casual at all. Doom was a decent game for 4 hours in 1994, and I couldn't give less of a shit that I didn't realize there was a map or that I got lost in it. The most ridiculous thing in the world would be for anyone to play that okayish game more than 4 hours, or to play it at ALL after 1994.
And yes, I posted here.

DJ Orwell
Okay, fair.

icycalm
About the only genre in which calling me casual would sting is FTGs, but I plan to explain in my SF2 and Power Stone reviews why this is so. (edited)
Once I've written the explanations I don't care what people think, because the logic and the taste in my explanations are impeccable.
FTGs are a mediocre genre, so sucking at them is a proof of good taste -- and so it is with everything.
Oh, and that 0.1 kill ratio in PlanetSide 2 (edited)
That stung.
HOWEVER
I think it must have been something with my mouse setup

DJ Orwell
You prob need a better rig for PS2

icycalm
Because when I play FPSes with other people, I never get the worse stats
But in that game I got the WORST stats BY FAR
I usually get better than average stats

DJ Orwell
Yeah I only just recently realized I've had my mouse sens way too high in everything. I corrected that, and now I'm addicted to CS lol
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 16 Feb 2017 22:13

DJ Orwell
To be fair though, since you're not going anywhere in the original Doom other than deeper into a random pseudo-abstract maze, and have no setpiece or consistent concept of "outside" to orient yourself, he isn't wrong to say he is lost.
Generally being "lost" means you can't find the exit, and Doom has no exits apart from arbitrarily placed teleporters that warp you to another random, disconnected level.

icycalm
Should probably edit the review to add this
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 17 Apr 2017 17:51

Via YouTube messaging:

40oz wrote:Hi Icycalm,

My name is 40oz and I host a podcast about Doom and it's surrounding community. Your video game review series was recently brought to my attention and I saw your most recent article about how Doom is not art. Needless to say, some people were rather upset about it.

To be clear, I'm not angry with you. In fact, I often find many doom fans to quickly judge any negative reviews of Doom to be factually incorrect which is pretty whacky. Most people seem to universally enjoy Doom so the show has become a sort of hugbox. I'm interested in the idea of inviting a guest with an adverse opinion and try to talk it out. I'd like to hear you elaborate a little more about your experience with the game and what you think about its more recent popularity boost.

Would you be interested in talking about it a little bit with me?

From Discord:

icycalm
lol
"a little more"
as if I wouldn't have said all I had to say in my essay on the subject
as if I am keeping the best comments private

Saf
he hosts a podcast, he probably can't tell the difference between proper ideas and pointless chatter
Doom community lol

icycalm
He has fewer YT subscribers than Insomnia
and Insomnia has almost none

Saf
watch out lest the Doom community bring their wrath upon you lol
next up, the Pong community

recoil
Here's their wrath: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/9 ... -for-sure/

icycalm
I would have sent the guy a message declining his invitation, but now that I've read his comments in the thread I won't even bother doing that
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Games