default header

Games

[PS2] [WII] [PC] [PS4] [ONE] Okami

Moderator: JC Denton

[PS2] [WII] [PC] [PS4] [ONE] Okami

Unread postby icycalm » 06 Dec 2008 04:24

Szcz wrote:Overated, with abysmal pacing and structure (it's like a child designed it), excessively long, all over the place mess of a game, with the worst final level of a game ever, where they effectively take the previous 60 hours and throw it away. Worse than when in Dallas, Bobby's death turned out to be a dream. They basically turn the main wold character into an alien-killing space marine - it couldn't get any more stupid unless they had Kojima scripting it (I like his work, btw). Capcom basically dropped trou' and peed on the faces of their fans.

Capcom employee: Sir, we're behind schedule with Okami, and we don't really know where we're going with it anymore. The lead designer keeps making us add more and stuff random stuff to it. What do we do?

Boss: What's hot right now? The Americans are putting space aliens in everything, let's slap that on the end. On a big spaceship! If we follow the American way we will rejuvenate the Japanese games industry!

Employee: But sir, Okami is about a goddess from Japanese legend.

Boss: Idiot. This isn't for the Japanese, it's for western 'otaku' who want to think they're experiencing something cultural, they won't know the difference. Just make the press release say something about how it uses our traditional brush stroke system, and include a glossary of "Japanese folktales". Those idiots will eat that stuff up!

http://forums.insertcredit.com/viewtopi ... 476#286476
Last edited by icycalm on 12 Sep 2017 14:39, edited 1 time in total.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Volteccer_Jack » 06 Dec 2008 06:46

I'll have to disagree with basically everything he said about the game. I felt the pacing was nearly perfect, apart from being a little slow in the first act, and getting a little too quick in the third act. But what game doesn't annoy me like that?

As for his use of the word "structure", I haven't the faintest idea what he means; it's stupidly vague.

They basically turn the main wold character into an alien-killing space marine

The "space-alien" ending wasn't tacked on at the end, it was hinted at built up to for at least half the game, most obviously including an actual rocketship and spacegirl you encounter. The plot was clearly headed that way. Maybe if he had said "gradual shift towards" space marine, it would be more palatable, but it still wouldn't be accurate. They just reveal that the demons and gods basically came from outer space, but the focus remains on their status as gods and demons.

What I'm getting at is that if he really insists on hating on Okami, there are better things to complain about, like the nonexistent difficulty for starters.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~Winston Churchill
Volteccer_Jack

Unread postby icycalm » 07 Dec 2008 00:58

Yeah, that guy's opinions can often be seriously misguided, but I guess I posted that because it made me smile.

I haven't played the game myself yet.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Evo » 07 Dec 2008 11:52

I liked the Boss' lines in that excerpt...

Okami was pretty fun to play once you got used to the voice acting - or the Sims like warbles that passed for voice acting that slowly grows on you until you can't remember being physically pained by the high pitch trill of one of the first characters you meet... At least localisation couldn't pain us with a horrifying English rendition.
Evo

Unread postby Pegote » 10 Feb 2010 14:11

Pretty fucking dissappointed with this game. I've played some 25 hours of it (that is, the first act, and some 5 or 6 hours of the second act) until a couple of days ago, and it was kind of exciting for a bit (mostly because it's so visually arresting), but the game's meager difficulty level (dumb, linear dungeons; brainless combat sections) makes me think the whole thing is aimed at pre-schoolers. Even more aggravatingly, the first 8 hours I played of it felt like a tutorial, and after that the hand-holding relented only very slightly.

Maybe the game gets harder from this point on (after 25 hours, I'd have to be dead-dumb to hope so), maybe the amount of shit dialogue and cutscenes eventually relents (dear god, how can a game with such a simple plot have so much fucking dialogue devoted to it? And the 20 minute introductory cutscene made me long for the days of "Are you a bad enough dude to save the president?"), maybe the later dungeons are bigger and more convoluted... But I've had enough of this shit. I need to look for real action-adventure games (or maybe real games, period.)
Last edited by Pegote on 10 Feb 2010 23:30, edited 1 time in total.
Pegote

Unread postby OneOpossumGame » 10 Feb 2010 16:56

If you're looking for challenge in Okami, stop playing. It's not going to happen. On top of having a quite large health meter, the "Godhood" barrier system makes damage to your actual health meter a rarity, basically precluding any chance for real challenge. (If the health meter didn't exist, and Godhood was the only thing between you and death, the game would have a pretty decent level of difficulty.)

The only time you will ever come close to dying is in the bonus survival battles near the end of the game, where they get as difficult as putting you up against multiple bosses simultaneously.

I'm a big fan of Okami, but I think a few changes, like the one I suggested above, would have resulted in a much more engrossing game.
I totally judge books by their cover. All the time. It's one of my values.
OneOpossumGame

Unread postby Pegote » 10 Feb 2010 18:37

Yeah, the amount of health you get borders on hilarity. I get a chuckle everytime I drown or die in a cursed zone and see that I'm transported back to a safe area having lost only one "ball" (what are those energy counters called?) out of, like, ten. Then there's the food sack *and* the mat! It's like they went out of their way to make an easy game.

By the way, I didn't get Okami expecting much of a challenge (I'm getting Devil May Cry and God Hand for that reason.) I just hoped it would present (at the least) the minimum modicum of friction that a game like Zelda: Ocarina of Time does (another action-adventure game where combat is not very interesting, but one that at least didn't throw an endless deluge of cutscenes and dialogue at me, and which had dungeons sufficiently large and complex to keep me interested to its end. I still have Majora's Mask on my queue.) I don't think it'd be too much to ask.

(Yes, Devil May Cry and God Hand, I'm very much behind the times.)
Pegote

Unread postby earthboundtrev » 12 Sep 2017 14:20

http://gematsu.com/2017/09/okami-hd-ann ... box-one-pc

Sal Romano wrote:Following rumors and leaks, Capcom has announced Okami HD for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC in the latest issue of Weekly Famitsu. It will launch for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on December 21 in Japan, and for PC on December 13. In Japan, only the PlayStation 4 version will be available physically.

The new version of Okami HD will support 4K resolution, and will see the return of the loading screen mini-games removed from the Wii and PlayStation 3 versions of Okami. You can also change the screen aspect ratio to 4:3.

Hopefully other territories will get it soon after.
earthboundtrev

Unread postby earthboundtrev » 29 Sep 2017 14:33

earthboundtrev

Unread postby earthboundtrev » 16 Oct 2017 13:25

earthboundtrev

Return to Games