default header

Cult Citizen

Profession: Exploration

Moderator: JC Denton

Profession: Exploration

Unread postby icycalm » 14 Mar 2024 03:25

People in the community have been whining for years that most of the features of the exploration loop aren't in the game yet. And up to a point, I agree with them. It will be cool when you can create maps and sell them to other players and such. Also exploration ships like the Carrack will have spinning virtual globe rooms for mapping and data ships will be able to distribute this data.

But with the recent addition of 15 new derelict settlements (on top of a couple pre-existing ones) plus who knows how many of the new and massive distribution centers coming next month, there's plenty of extensive points of interest to catalogue and explore! And these are BIG POIs, the distribution centers are so large you can drive across them for a while and play out entire missions without leaving them. They're as big as small towns, and some of the derelict settlements are also pretty big. That's without even counting the many outposts, drug labs, junk yards, racing courses, and of course the landing zones/cities themselves with their many shops, bars and back alleys.

So why not start exploring this stuff NOW? At first I was planning on lumping all derelict settlements into one thread, but then I thought, I have an ENTIRE FORUM per solar system, why not make a thread per settlement? Same with the distribution centers and every other POI. In fact, if Chris keeps adding stuff to every planet, I might end up having to make a FORUM for EVERY PLANET at some point.

So to start off I've done threads for Picker's Field and Cutter's Rig that we've extensively explored. There's enough info and cool shots in there to give a reader a very good idea of what the places are like without having been there. That's the goal, and I plan to do this with EVERY POI IN THE GALAXY.

Feel free to start your own threads and post pics and reports. Just make sure you put some effort into any pics you post. They don't have to all be awesome, but put some effort into them. Alternatively, you can just post on Discord, and I'll copy over the info in my own time. Whatever you want. Or don't participate in this profession at all if it doesn't appeal to you. It's just one more option of something to do, is all I am saying.

There's also military value to this exercise. I want to get to the point where if someone says "Cutter's Rig" I know exactly which system/planet/moon/exact location it is, what the environmental conditions are (do I need high-temp/low-temp gear?), landing approaches and so on. And this will get harder and harder as the game gets bigger and bigger, which is where the system commanders, and maybe eventually even the planetary commanders come in.

P.S. If you think these threads will spoil the locations for you, don't look at the threads until you've been to a location.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Re: Profession: Exploration

Unread postby icycalm » 14 Mar 2024 03:44

My first main goal is to catalogue all of Stanton before the summer. Because in the summer Pyro arrives, and I have to do it all over again. And Pyro has 6 not 4 planets...

And I need to finish Pyro by around November, because I think that's when Squadron 42 comes out, and I will use it to catalogue all of the systems in there too (probably at least two systems, Odin and maybe Vega, and possibly a third one, maybe Nyx).

How many Star Systems does SQ42 feature at release (speculation)
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/co ... feature_at

Dawnstealer wrote:Squadron 42? Should just be the Odin system. They might have cinematics or have you go through a wormhole from another system to Odin, but I would expect that Odin will be the focus. They *might* have another system or two for later chapters.

logicalChimp wrote:That was my understanding - the bulk of the gameplay takes place in Odin, with a question mark over Vega (whether we actually do any missions there, or if it's just cutscenes there).

It's possible/probable that the sequels will move to other systems - but iirc from the big plot-leak (courtesy of CR years ago), SQ42 is predominantly all in a single system.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Cult Citizen