default header

Theory

Retro download backlash

Moderator: JC Denton

Retro download backlash

Unread postby filterpunk » 13 Jul 2007 20:39

So, the big 3 next-gen consoles are out and finally, people can download old games for a relatively low cost, everyone thinks it's awesome.

I'm actually a little disappointed by it all, though. When services like XBLA were first announced, I imagined a flood of previously Japan-only games and odd independent efforts that would've never had a chance in the retail market. I'm a little crushed that all that's out there are a few odd casual games, remakes of golden oldies like <i>Missile Command</i>, and meh-inducing ports of games I've already played.

Take <i>Castlevania: SotN</i>, for example. It looks nice and anti-aliased, but retains old glitches and introduces new ones. Sega Saturn extras, like additional equipment, music, levels, and ability to play Maria are absent, as is most of the FMV from the PS1 version. It's only $10, but I'd pay $50 for an actual, physical CD loaded with goodies. Better yet, why not offer up titles previously available only for handheld systems, like I dunno - the majority of 2D <i>Castlevania</i> games released?

Being a long-time SNES fan, I'm equally let down by the Virtual Console service. You can find an SNES for peanuts via ebay or any number of classifieds. Even classic, phenomenal games like <i>Super Metroid</i> are readily available for under $20. What the hell is the point of purchasing downloaded versions that are tied to the exact, specific console you purchased and cost the same amount as a used copy of the original release? At least if my old, crusty SNES dies, I'm not left wondering whether the games I purchased will still be in my possession when I buy a new console.

It all feels like a lot of missed opportunity. What do you guys think? Is offering a bunch of old games a great idea with a bright future or should we stick to buying vintage consoles?
filterpunk

Re: Retro download backlash

Unread postby icycalm » 15 Jul 2007 02:45

The main problem with emulating old games on the new systems is that most of those games are 2D.

Now the thing with 2D games is that they must be displayed in their original resolution, otherwise they look smeared and ugly as fuck. And since the 360 and the PS3 are incapable of outputting resolutions as low as 240p (which is the res that most arcade and many old console titles use), they are no good.

The Wii on the other hand can output 240p, but the US and Jap machines are incapable of outputting an RGB signal, so you can't hook them up to RGB monitors to get a crystal-clear arcade-quality image. Only the EU model can output RGB, but it's no use getting one because EU VC titles are the PAL ones, with borders, etc.

To sum up: it's a fucking fiasco.

Meanwhile, MAME and most other emulators can be configured to output perfect low-res RGB video, and you of course get access to most every game ever made.

Check this:

http://www.gamengai.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=553

Best thread on the internet, bar none.

As for original XBLA and Playstation store games... well, as you said, there's nothing really exciting on there at the moment, though I guess there's always a chance this will change in the future.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Re: Retro download backlash

Unread postby filterpunk » 20 Jul 2007 12:40

icycalm wrote:You see, it is absolutely vital that 2D games be displayed in their original resolution, otherwise they look smeared and ugly as fuck. Now the 360 and the PS3 are incapable of outputting resolutions as low as 240p (which is the res that most arcade and many old console titles use), so they are no good.

That's a larger problem altogether that goes way beyond just XBLA. I haven't played SF since <i>Street Fighter II Turbo</i> for the SNES came out back whenever, but I could swear it looked better than <i>Street Fighter Alpha Anthology</i> or <i>Street Fighter II Hyper Fighting</i> looks.

As for original XBLA and Playstation store games... well, as you said, there's nothing really exciting on there at the moment, though I guess there's always a chance this will change in the future.

It's a chance, but a slim one. I don't know what it takes cost-wise to get an original game put out on XBLA or the PS store, but I'm astonished at how few of them are on there.
filterpunk

Return to Theory